2/26 zaandam review - anyone else on that sailing???

gpamitc

Just returned from our West. Carib. sailing on the Zaandam. While it was our first cruise and therefore, we can not make any comparisons, I would have to say the ship was very clean, roomy and beautiful; the food was excellent; and the staff was warm, friendly and accomodating.

The weather - not the fault of HAL - was quite disappointing. More clouds than sun. And the it rained during our stop to Half Moon Cay - the one we were most looking forward to.

We didn't plan our excursions well - went to the beach at Cozumel and did a little shopping at Grand Cayman and Montego Bay (which we found to be crowded, and not appealing. After 20 minutes we returned to the ship.) We had scheduled snorkeling and some other beach activities at Half Moon but they were cancelled due to weather.

I guess my only other comment was that we found the average age a little TOO old. Would have preferred more couples in their 40's. The average age of our fellow passengers was probably in their mid to late 60's - or so it appeared. While it was nice not to have to compete with tons of toddlers and teens for places by the pool (there couldn't have been more than 25 or so children - including teens), we would have preferred a better mix of ages. So while we enjoyed the cruise, I guess we'll give another cruise line a shot for our 2nd cruise!

My DW and I are taking our first cruise on the Zaandam on April 2nd.

Glad to hear things went well for you. How were your accomodations?

What activities did you find on board that you recommend (or not recommend)?

Where did you eat on board? Did you get any added benefits with your booking...such as soda cards, bottles of wine, on board credits, etc.

Sorry for all the questions! :)

Of course we are cruising during spring break so I expect more kids on board. If their parents are also on board, then I suspect we will see more couples in thier 40's & 50's. Not sure about that but just a guess.

gpamitc, We will be sailing on the Zaandam 3-12 and were wondering which dock you were at in Cozumel. Also How was the tendering in GC. Did it take long? I'm glad you had a nice cruise. I would take more mature older folks to missbehaved kids any day! Eileen

gpamitc-

Thanks for the nice review.:) My DH and I and my 2 teen sons will be cruising on the Zaandam on March 19th with family. Good to hear that you found the food and Ship to be up to snuff.

I am 45 and my DH 61 and we very much enjoy the older crowd as a good nightlife for me is sitting on the Veranda in the moonlight listening to the waves crashing against the hull. I can see that I might be disappointed with HAL if I was looking for many active nightlife options. :cool:

Archived