NHL Playoff Coverage on the Sostice?

Whinney374

I know, I know, it's a vacation, but what can I say, I'm a Vancouver Canucks fan,:D and I just realized that we are crusing during the start of Round 1 of the NHL Playoffs. Is there any place that carries Sports on Satellite that might get the hockey games?

Thanks!

Robb

I know, I know, it's a vacation, but what can I say, I'm a Vancouver Canucks fan,:D and I just realized that we are crusing during the start of Round 1 of the NHL Playoffs. Is there any place that carries Sports on Satellite that might get the hockey games?

Thanks!

Robb

Anyone? Is their a sports bar type place that might carry the games?

R

My hubby LIVES for hockey, in fact, Vancouver hockey since we host the farm team... Manitoba Moose.

We have NEVER seen so much as hockey HIGHLIGHTS on any ship we have been on.

I have seen soccer, football,golf and even POKER but never hockey

Sadly, we spent a pretty penny on internet so he can read all the nights results.

Have a wonderful time but plan to look stuff up on the computer, there won't be anything on your TV, or shown in the sports bar.

ESPN doesn't even really cover hockey and that is ALL they usually have.

Go Canucks!!!!! Go Moose!!!!

I found it to be hit and miss with the sports. I think it all depends on the satellite signal. Was watching a playoff game in our cabin on HAL. It was into the 3rd OT and the cable feed went out.

Was on the Crown Princess and they showed the world series on the big outdoor screen.

Hopefully all the series go to the max to extend the season, and keep us from missing too much as I am sailing in April also.

Thanks!

Robb

Off topic, but I work at the HONDA CENTER in Anaheim and the Canucks played the Ducks there last night. What a great team you have this year! And there were bus loads of people from Vancouver that came in for the game and were VERY passionate! Fun group having a great time...you would have thought it was a home game for the Canucks!!!! I hope you get to watch the games while on your cruise! ( and I hope I'm working..meaning I hope the Ducks make the playoffs!):D

In January, we were on the HAL Oosterdam and my husband is a big Steelers fan and they showed the playoff game in the theater, the sports bar and in the cabins.....so he was a happy camper!

I know, I know, it's a vacation, but what can I say, I'm a Vancouver Canucks fan,:D and I just realized that we are cruising during the start of Round 1 of the NHL Playoffs. Is there any place that carries Sports on Satellite that might get the hockey games?

The problem is that NHL hockey is really a minor sport for television coverage in the USA. Unlike the huge TV contracts for NFL and NBA, the NHL is limited primarily to a cable outfit - "Versus" for the majority of the hockey playoff coverage.

I would think it very unlikely that Solstice would be interested in trying to receive that signal.

Games 1, 2, 5, 6 & 7 of the final round will be on NBC, but you should be home by then and, hopefully, able to attend the final games with the Canucks in Vancouver!

If not, there is always Hockey Night In Canada on CBC!

Dave

Off topic' date=' but I work at the HONDA CENTER in Anaheim and the Canucks played the Ducks there last night. What a great team you have this year! And there were bus loads of people from Vancouver that came in for the game and were VERY passionate! Fun group having a great time...you would have thought it was a home game for the Canucks!!!! I hope you get to watch the games while on your cruise! ( and I hope I'm working..meaning I hope the Ducks make the playoffs!):D

In January, we were on the HAL Oosterdam and my husband is a big Steelers fan and they showed the playoff game in the theater, the sports bar and in the cabins.....so he was a happy camper![/quote']

Do the Ducks ever have a home crowd backing them. Was watching the Wings play there and the announcers said it seemed as if the Wings were the home team.

One of the great benefits of living in the Greater Toronto area . . we do not need to worry about watching the Leafs in the playoffs!

LOL - thanks Dande1, but cmon, the Leafs still have a chance. Actually, I live in Toronto myself now for the past 4 years, but born and raised in Vancouver.

Off topic' date=' but I work at the HONDA CENTER in Anaheim and the Canucks played the Ducks there last night. What a great team you have this year! And there were bus loads of people from Vancouver that came in for the game and were VERY passionate! Fun group having a great time...you would have thought it was a home game for the Canucks!!!! I hope you get to watch the games while on your cruise! ( and I hope I'm working..meaning I hope the Ducks make the playoffs!):D

In January, we were on the HAL Oosterdam and my husband is a big Steelers fan and they showed the playoff game in the theater, the sports bar and in the cabins.....so he was a happy camper![/quote']

Thanks cruisin'mama - I watched the game last night. There were quite a few Canuck fans there! The Ducks should make it - they have a pretty good team, although the West is very tight. Good luck!

R

Do the Ducks ever have a home crowd backing them. Was watching the Wings play there and the announcers said it seemed as if the Wings were the home team.

Usually when the Red Wings or Kings come to town, it's a toss-up which team has more fans there. Last night with the Canucks was a first, but it's the first time the Canucks bussed in hundreds of people. You gotta remember that the Ducks play in "laid-back" Orange County and that affects the tone of the crowd. They like their team, but they don't get "rabid" like other team's fans. :eek: That also makes the other team's fans sound so much louder! Just something that the team has to deal with by getting to play in the gorgeous weather of So. Cal and the O.C.

Thanks cruisin'mama - I watched the game last night. There were quite a few Canuck fans there! The Ducks should make it - they have a pretty good team, although the West is very tight. Good luck!

R

Thanks for the good wishes! They had looked pretty good the last couple of games until the Canucks came in! It should be interesting for a lot of teams all the way to the end. Lots of parity is good for the league!!

The short answer is no. I called X last year about this very same question and was informed that they don't pay for the licensing agreements to get the NHL playoffs on their tvs. HTH

Well that settles it - Thanks LSP!

You could watch the live streaming on NHL.com. We've done that before, but of course you have to use expensive Internet minutes. My sister and I did that last year to watch our Penguins while on the ship. We brought our laptop, and used our 90 minutes each of free Internet from being Elite.

But, since the NHL isn't on ESPN, you won't be seeing it on the ship's TV's.

Archived