Will cruise ins cover armed forces deployment?

purelucktx

My daughter is in the Naval Reserves and was told in February she may be deployed within 3 months, getting only a weeks notice to prepare. We are doing a BTB April 2 through April 11. Will travel insurance cover her if she gets deployed?:confused:

Depends entirely on what insurance product you bought and from which company.

Unless you are asking, "Is there insurance I can buy now to cover a known upcoming event?" Then the answer is most likely no. That's not a good business model.

My daughter is in the Naval Reserves and was told in February she may be deployed within 3 months, getting only a weeks notice to prepare. We are doing a BTB April 2 through April 11. Will travel insurance cover her if she gets deployed?:confused:

There may be exceptions out there but the answer is pretty much "no" with the obvious exception of the "Cancel For Any Reason" plans. The ones that come closest are like this from Global Alert:

"m) Revocation of Your previously granted leave or reassignment due to war. Official written revocation/ re-assignment by a supervisor or commanding officer of the appropriate branch of service will be required;"

But it doesn't match your situation. Others will only cover reservists being called up for assistance in a natural disaster.

If it was me I'd contact the cruise line and ask them if you cancel now if your money could be rolled over to a future cruise. I have heard some stories that some of the cruise lines are pretty understanding about the problems those in the Armed Forces have with these kinds of things. But the longer you wait the less chance they have to re-sell the cabin so the less likely they are to make some sort of accommodation for you. There's always a good chance they won't do anything for you but it doesn't hurt to ask.

If the cruise line will let you re-schedule the cruise be sure to contact the insurer also to get them to apply the premium to this new cruise. You don't want to just forfeit the premium amount when you can possibly use it later.

Archived