Marriott's Frenchman's Reef.Would you pay for a room for day?

trvlexprt

My husband and I are traveling with our 2 children ages 12 and 4 on this cruise.I am able to book a room at the Marriott, Frenchmans Reef section for a very good rate.

We are in port from 10a-8p and we are thinking this would be a nice option. Looks like it is close to the port with a short cab ride. I understand the beaches are public in St Thomas but we would like to be able to use the pools and such. Plus it would be nice to clean up before heading back to the ship. Has anyone done this recently? I have noted an early check in. I am assuming since check in is not until 4p that we would still be able to use the facilities even if the room was not ready.

We are not interested in doing any tours or shore excursions since the youngest would not be interested anyway.

We figured we would shop a few hours and then head over after lunch.

It would cost us less to do this than the 3 hour tour that Carnival offers to Magen's Bay. What do you think? thank you :)

If you do this I would love to hear about it when you return. We are Platinum Marriott and can use our 1 free room coupon for this. We have 3 young children and I think they would enjoy the pool, too. Perfect to shower and dress (nap the youngest) before heading back to ship for dinner. Interested to hear about the beach there - as I have been researching beaches for young kids this one has not come up, but having the pool may make the difference for us. Good Luck - interested to hear what others have to say.

If you do this I would love to hear about it when you return. We are Platinum Marriott and can use our 1 free room coupon for this. We have 3 young children and I think they would enjoy the pool, too. Perfect to shower and dress (nap the youngest) before heading back to ship for dinner. Interested to hear about the beach there - as I have been researching beaches for young kids this one has not come up, but having the pool may make the difference for us. Good Luck - interested to hear what others have to say.

I am still on the fence with this. The rate I have is fantasic but I want to be sure that we are able to do this for just the time that we need. I have tried emailing them directly to see but so far the email address is no good. It seems like a no brainer for the cost but not if its going to be frowned upon since we do not plan to stay the night. I will let you know if we do stay or if I can find out :)

• 1 month later...

We just returned from St Thomas and visited Morning Star beach only. We passed on the day pass but the beach was nice. It was rocky upon entering and there is a definite drop as you enter.The beach was a good size and not very crowded. Here are some photos:

P1060118.jpg

P1060104.jpg

P1060108.jpg

P1060102.jpg

P1060101.jpg

P1060050.jpg

The Reef hotel will be closed from May till October except for one wing that overlooks Morningstar beach. If this is your travel time I would expect a 4 PM or later checkin as all checkin's will be done at the Morningstar resort.

• 1 month later...

We went to Morningstar in April.

For kids, the beach might be hard to get in and out of. It has lots of little pebbles upon entry and then a bit of a drop. You wouldn't be able to wade in easily.

I found Morningstar to be extremely convenient (only 5 minutes by taxi), clean, and well maintained. There was a public restroom that was clean and outdoor showers (mostly for your feet).

I would think this beach, although convenient, might be better for adults just looking for some relaxation.

• 2 months later...
We went to Morningstar in April.

For kids, the beach might be hard to get in and out of. It has lots of little pebbles upon entry and then a bit of a drop. You wouldn't be able to wade in easily.

I found Morningstar to be extremely convenient (only 5 minutes by taxi), clean, and well maintained. There was a public restroom that was clean and outdoor showers (mostly for your feet).

I would think this beach, although convenient, might be better for adults just looking for some relaxation.

Were there any shaded areas or umbrellas for rent?

Maggie

Archived