Handicapped family member, do we get any....

Missiowa

I guess you missed my earlier post saying we also are boarding HC.

So should I get on before you since we were both platinum and VIP?? I trump you if you are counting some kind of invisible score...

Hey Fire throw in staying in a suit and attending an on board wedding and I bet they will let you board before the ship arrives. ;)

I use a rolling walker for ambulation due to my disability. I was on the Freedom recently and when boarding, they told us that I could go with one person. Since there were 3 of us traveling together, they let us all go. When we got so far, we were asked to step aside to allow the platinum and VIP boarders to go by. It didn't bother me. There weren't that many of them at that time.

I am a heavy person due to the nature of my disabilty and I heard a few rude comments from others waiting in line that fat people get priority boarding, but none of that bothers me any more. They are more than welcome to live a day in my life at any time. ;) I am just thankful I am walking again. Things aren't always as people perceive them.

I felt that on the ship, the crew was very helpful whenever I needed it and even when I didn't. LOL. We didn't tender, so I have no clue how that works with a disability. I know that when in Panama we did the canal excursion and they did take disabled folks and their parties down first to board the buses, which was nice.

tk and wantocruise more - what about arrangements for tenders? were you able to get off the ship early there too.

There were no tenders on the cruise that my DD went on, we were docked at our ports. We got down to the exit locations early so we were near the front of the line and not packed in waiting for the doors to open. She got so excited about going to the Mayan pyramids she got the hiccups and couldn't stop.

For our upcoming Med cruise we will always be docked too, so don't know.

I imagine if you need it and ask, then priority will be provided for you.

I think they should permit ONE family member to accompany the HC member, not the whole family, it's not necessary.

I dont care who gets on 1st, HC, VIP or MILESTONE (which we are) or wedding parties. You are still way far ahead of the other 2,500 or so people.

I use a rolling walker for ambulation due to my disability. I was on the Freedom recently and when boarding, they told us that I could go with one person. Since there were 3 of us traveling together, they let us all go. When we got so far, we were asked to step aside to allow the platinum and VIP boarders to go by. It didn't bother me. There weren't that many of them at that time.

I am a heavy person due to the nature of my disabilty and I heard a few rude comments from others waiting in line that fat people get priority boarding, but none of that bothers me any more. They are more than welcome to live a day in my life at any time. ;) I am just thankful I am walking again. Things aren't always as people perceive them.

I felt that on the ship, the crew was very helpful whenever I needed it and even when I didn't. LOL. We didn't tender, so I have no clue how that works with a disability. I know that when in Panama we did the canal excursion and they did take disabled folks and their parties down first to board the buses, which was nice.

I wish you the best Mosaic Mom! It is me, my disabled husband and our 2 kids. I am not leaving my kids there along, just so I can push his wc in front of everyone else, its all of us or none of us. I don't mind waiting

I think you missed Fire's point. She has been there done that...she has a handicapped sister, she understands the special needs of of handicapped persons and agrees that the handicap person should receive priority embarkation/debarkation/tendering/ect., however the WHOLE family should not be included. It doesn’t take Mom, Dad, brother, sister and Auntie to push Grandpa in his wheel chair. They should allow ONE perhaps TWO people to assist...all others can wait with the rest of us Peons. I don’t include minors in this. Of course, children should go with the parent or person who is in the WC unless there is another adult to accompany them. Expecting the ENTIRE party to accompany the HC person is abusing the privilege of priority boarding.

I think you missed Fire's point. She has been there done that...she has a handicapped sister, she understands the special needs of of handicapped persons and agrees that the handicap person should receive priority embarkation/debarkation/tendering/ect., however the WHOLE family should not be included. It doesn’t take Mom, Dad, brother, sister and Auntie to push Grandpa in his wheel chair. They should allow ONE perhaps TWO people to assist...all others can wait with the rest of us Peons. I don’t include minors in this. Of course, children should go with the parent or person who is in the WC unless there is another adult to accompany them. Expecting the ENTIRE party to accompany the HC person is abusing the privilege of priority boarding.

Like I said in my earlier post, there are only 4 of us. Myself, my HC husband and our 2 kids. I am not going to leave my 2 kids there alone so that I can push his w/c up in front of everyone. Is there really a rush to get on the ship early? Last time we cruised, we gave our luggage to the guys outside, walked in, went thru security, took a escalator upstairs, got in line, went right up to the front, did our paperwork and got right on the ship. What is the big hurry? Do people stand in a line at 10 am waiting to get on a ship?

Like I said in my earlier post, there are only 4 of us. Myself, my HC husband and our 2 kids. I am not going to leave my 2 kids there alone so that I can push his w/c up in front of everyone. Is there really a rush to get on the ship early? Last time we cruised, we gave our luggage to the guys outside, walked in, went thru security, took a escalator upstairs, got in line, went right up to the front, did our paperwork and got right on the ship. What is the big hurry? Do people stand in a line at 10 am waiting to get on a ship?

Well then I guess I dont see your problem? NO one suggeted you leave your children in line. I specifically said to take them. So not sure what you are referring to...:confused:

Yes they do ( some even earlier than 10 am ). You must not read the threads that say..." we were first ones on the ship ". I say HIP HIP HOORAY for you....You waited from 9 till 11 to board. I got here at 10:30 and boarded at 11:30 so you waited one hour more.

I know this is just my opinion but aside from special needs children/adults who can not deal with crowds/ noise, I see no reason for WC users (yes, I am one) to be boarded before anyone else. I understand they might need assistance and possibly more room to embark but do not feel that because I have a disability that I am entitled to not wait in line any more than anyone else. If you are too ill to wait while seated in a chair, how are you going to participate/enjoy the cruise anyway? I know many who will blast me for this but being disabled does not make me "entitled".

I know this is just my opinion but aside from special needs children/adults who can not deal with crowds/ noise, I see no reason for WC users (yes, I am one) to be boarded before anyone else. I understand they might need assistance and possibly more room to embark but do not feel that because I have a disability that I am entitled to not wait in line any more than anyone else. If you are too ill to wait while seated in a chair, how are you going to participate/enjoy the cruise anyway? I know many who will blast me for this but being disabled does not make me "entitled".

Ditto!!! I can walk short distances but cannot stand for long periods or walk long distances. Hence the scooter with it's very comfortable seat. At Disney, Dollywood, etc. I get into a special line only because they have special seating arrangements. I'm not crowding in front of the line as I'm not taking up a regular seat. This will be our first cruise, Apr.1 on the Liberty, and if I have to wait in line with everyboby else then so be it. If I'm offered special consideration I will gladly accept it but I do not believe that I am automatically entitled to it. I never dreamed that I would get to this point in my life when I was discharged from the Navy in 1972 with what I considered a small disability but I'm just thankful for the in-between years before getting here. I promise I will not run over anybody, at least not on purpose. Looking forward to this new adventure. Happy sailing to you all.

Another thought...... unfortunately you will always find people with minor disabilities, even temporary ones (i.e. a broken leg) who will try to cheat the syste into getting priority access for everything not only for themselves, but their entire group...

Wow. Just...wow.

For what it is worth, I have a temporary disability and plan to ask for priority boarding. As we did when my husband was in a cast several cruises ago. Carnival was very helpful and heavens- it meant that people without a disability had to wait another what- 15 seconds to board?

We took my MIL who uses a scooter and my son who is mentally handicapped (not physically) on a cruise in Dec. We contacted Special needs Dept and they were great got them both what we needed . I wasnt sure how to embark with the scooter so I just asked someone and she walked us to the elevator and told us to get on . I asked if someone could go with her incase she needed help. My son didnt need to board early we figured we would just hang out, we had like zone 6 I think. She said no no you all can go . There were 7 of us . I figured she offered so yeah for us. We didn't tender at any of our ports but did get off first well actually second, only 4 of us and 2 were kids , behind another scooter which was good cause we had issues getting the scooter up and down the ramps. But pretty much didnt have any other issues. She did have a HC cabin so if they use a scooter or wheelchair I would say go for those plenty of room to turn her scooter around in the room .

One of the reasons I can see for boarding the whole family instead of just the person with a disability is that this is when the boarding photo is taken. If everybody isn't together this is a missed opportunity. For some folks they wouldn't give a hoot, for others this is an important keepsake.

When I went on one cruise with a major knee problem, I had my doctor write a letter to reinforce my request for priority boarding. In addition, when I have taken teen foster girls to amusement parks and they have struggles with waiting for long periods of time, their psychiatrists have written letters, allowing us priority services also.

Archived