Kids in another room

hlb76

We are taking the kids on their first cruise next month, this will be our second. We booked 2 balcony rooms side by side, since I know us and one bathroom just won't work. There were no adjoining balcony rooms but we plan on opening the partitions between the rooms, and bringing a baby monitor. My kids are 7 and 9, so I'm a little apprehensive, but they are very good kids who ask before they do almost anything.

This is another option that I recently posted on a different thread.

Check out the Spirit class ships. They have a unique configuration that actually offer a balcony with an adjoining interior rated cabin near the front of the ship. The interior cabin is actually on the exterior of the ship. We booked Upper 5106/5108 on The Miracle several years ago and it was great! As there can only be two of these cabin combinations per deck offered, they probably sell out quick.

B

This is exactly what we did for our upcoming cruise to Alaska. The Spirit ships only have 6 sets of these cabins and tend to sell out quickly, so if that appeals to you, I'd snag them fast!!

We now book a balcony for us and an inside for the kids (14 and 16). Hubby and I love the privacy, the 2 bathrooms, the kids love the freedom to get a break from mom and dad. We do lay down strict guidelines before we ever get on the ship (we have an 8 hour drive to the port - PLENTY of time :D) They know that they have to check in when required, no friends of opposite sex in rooms, have dinner with us and typically we see them running around the ship with their friends plenty of time during the day/evening. They tend to travel in "packs" which honestly sits better with me than just two or three together, especially with a 14 year old daughter. They are responsible for making sure the other gets back to the cabin at the deadline and each will jump at the chance to report the other as a "violator" (yeah, gotta love that sibling rivalry ;)) We never even considered booking them a balcony for a number of reasons. Number one is cost, two is that they both freely admit that they spend so little time in the cabin that it really does not matter to them, and three, I honestly would be more nervous with them having a balcony for some strange reason. At their ages, I really can't picture what it would be like for the four of us to be crammed into one cabin and trying to use one shower, so if it means we have to budget a little more carefully to get that second cabin, then so be it. I'd rather put a little more money into that and forego all the expensive land tours (we save a lot by booking privately). Ultimately it's up to each parent to decide what works for them - but this is definitely the way to go for us!

We have a family of 5 so a connection cabin would be ideal but, we usually don't get in early enough to do two connecting cabins but we did do two side-by-sides two times ago (balcony) and left the connection in the balcony open. Our kids and us came back and forth between the balconies and we felt comfortable this way.

Last time we did a interior room across the hall. The kids loved it, but honestly I thought the side by side with balcony was easier. (My kids in the interior were tween age)

We are a family of 5, so we pretty much need 2 cabins. We've done connecting OV and this next cruise we are doing side by side balconies. Had to book one adult per room since they are balconies but will get the "just key" cards upon boarding as others on here have suggested. That being said, if it is more economical for you to get one room, keep in mind that others on here have said you can use the showers/bathrooms in the gym (or spa area I think). Hence keeping costs to one room, but in essence gaining a bathroom!

I am so glad to see this topic pop up!

We have 2 teens (14 and 17) and we have booked two interior rooms (side by side, but not connecting!). As this is our first cruise and the thought of the 4 of us crammed into a room with only one bathroom was just too much to bare, we took this option instead! I really hope it works out! ;)

Also, glad to read that I can get a card to get into my kids cabin, because with the mess that they can cause here at home, I just can't imagine what the cabin might look like after a couple of days:eek:! Yes, scary! Mom's never stop....even on vacation!!! hehehe!

And they can order room service anytime? I hope so, then that's one less thing to worry about! My son who's 17, is 6'1" and eats ALL day.....room service will help. I'll just give him some small tip money so he has something for the staff! Thanks !!!

Archived