Kids in another room

hlb76

We are debating getting the kids there own room on our next cruise. We normally do the 4 in a room but as they get bigger we could use the extra space.

I have lots of worries about this. Mainly will my kids behave but we will have to dicuss that as a family. Nice thing with them in the same room I know when they come and go. I'm nervous giving up that security but not sleeping w/ a bunk on top of me sounds great too!!! and TWO bathrooms!

My big question is can my S&S be programmed to access both rooms? Or can I get a Key to there room. In all reality I'd like them to be able to access our room as well.

I would like adjoining rooms but I know that is always not availible. Plus since it will be our 10 year anniversary coming up we might get a nicer room than them.

Thanks for any advice or help with booking the kids in there own rooom

We need to book 2 rooms since we are a family of 6. If you have concerns, I'd book adjoining rooms and keep the door open. That way, you get more room and 2 bathrooms, but you are still aware of the comings/goings of your kids.

We've done both adjoining and across the hall. When the kids were younger, I stayed in one room and DH in the other, each with 2 kids. This upcoming cruise, DH and I have booked a balcony and kids are across the hall in an interior. We keep track of where our pre-teens are at all times, but give our teens more freedom. It all depends on what you're comfortable with. Everyone needs to check in periodically (and of course, when they come in at night---just like at home, lol!)

Good Luck with your decision. Cruising is our family's favorite way to vacation.

We get a room near us for the kids (15 & 8). As long as they are near us you do not need an adult in the room. Across the hall worked very well, althouth the 8 year old ended up in our room some nights.

Depends on how old the kids are whether they should be in adjoining rooms. You can get a better cabin and the kids can have an interior one across the hall if you book early enough. I think you are on the right track in getting a key to their cabin.

Depending on the age, being in a cabin somewhere on another floor or further down the hall may be a headache maker. Hard to say without knowing the ages. Doesn't sound like you wish to have one adult in each cabin which is ideal but pretty unromantic.

You need to have an adult assigned to each room - not sure how old your kids are. You can get extra key cards so that you can access both rooms. Good luck! :)

Actually you don't. The kids just need to be in the cabin right next door basically if they are under 18

My kids are 11 and 16. They are both pretty good kids really. But something about being on a ship w/ all those strangers scares me some. Yes call me mother hen!!

We have never had issues in the past. My youngest is a early riser and like breakfast as soon as he opens his eyes. When we share a room he comes over and gets one of us. Or if my oldest wants pizza at 3 am. We also know. Now if I woke up and checked on them and they where not there I would FREAK.

So things like this will be family rules we need to set straight! If they dont follow them heads will roll.

I need to look more into prices to see if we can even afford 2 cabins. Cruising for us is so affordable as the 3rd and 4 th rate is normally so cheap.

I'd really rather leave the kids home and do this anniversary cruise alone. I can't get myself to not include the kids plus we have no place to leave them. :(

If your budget can afford the 2nd stateroom

1. Book 2 connecting rooms

2. Get an additional room key for their stateroom

3. Enjoy the benefit of two bathrooms

4. Open connecting interior doors for access to both rooms

5. Close connecting interior doors if Celebrating Anniversary (whiich you rightly deserve to do !)

6. Have a great cruise and if able to complete all of the above, you have met the "mother hen" requirements.

My kids are 11 and 16. They are both pretty good kids really. But something about being on a ship w/ all those strangers scares me some. Yes call me mother hen!!

We have never had issues in the past. My youngest is a early riser and like breakfast as soon as he opens his eyes. When we share a room he comes over and gets one of us. Or if my oldest wants pizza at 3 am. We also know. Now if I woke up and checked on them and they where not there I would FREAK.

So things like this will be family rules we need to set straight! If they dont follow them heads will roll.

I need to look more into prices to see if we can even afford 2 cabins. Cruising for us is so affordable as the 3rd and 4 th rate is normally so cheap.

I'd really rather leave the kids home and do this anniversary cruise alone. I can't get myself to not include the kids plus we have no place to leave them. :(

As has been mentioned when others have had that kind of age gap, the issue you are going to have is the age difference and having an 11 year old alone in the cabin so the safest thing seems to be to get adjoining cabins because of those ages. The 16 year old will have an age appropriate club that the ship provides for teens that may keep the teen out until later. Carnival is very mother hen-ish with the older teen club. You probably don't want the older one to just be the babysitter on the cruise and it is doubtful you'd leave the 11 year old alone in the room at night. You are right to be worried around strangers of all kinds and figure out the best and safest solution. Not sure I'd even have them across from my cabin if the 11 year old was to be alone.

You'll work it out. You are thinking of safety so you'll do what you feel is safer. I think having the kids in an adjoining cabin is a wonderful solution even if it may cost a little more.

Well we always book a room for the kids . Its nice to have me time and the kids are good kids . This year we have a suite and got them a balcony next to us instead of a inside room.

Now we make sure the youngest dd !3 is either at a kids thing or in her room at a good hour and if she gets hungry there is always room service :)

We have always booked additional room(s) for the kids. My husband and I have a balcony and the kids are across the hall. I always get a key to their room and I also tell the steward that if he sees or hears anything he thinks I should be aware of please let me know. I'm probably on the 'easy' side with the kids (they have been on many cruises) and they know the ropes. We have never had a problem (11 cruises) in any regards with the kids. I personally find that most (not all) parents must feel the same way about letting the kids have some freedom, otherwise they wouldn't be running with so many friends they have made all the time. I usually find them at the sports area or sitting in the chairs by the windows playing cards with friends (doing what teens do) gossiping, getting to know each other.

We are preparing to sail on the Legend on March 20th and we have 2 cabins books. Our kids are 18 & 14 and will be in an inside cabin that is adjacent to our balcony cabin. Here is information that I received from our PVP:

Guest Policy

Quick Reference Guidelines

Guests are required to be 21 years of age (on embarkation day) to travel on their own.

Guests under the age of 21 must travel with their “Parent”. A Parent can include Grandparents as well as a Court-Appointed Legal Guardian.

Ages 12 and under: Must travel in the same stateroom with a “Parent” (as listed above). If insisting on traveling in separate staterooms, minors must be directly across the hall or side-by-side to “Parents” stateroom. Document this exception: “Guest reqs separate staterooms”.

 If traveling in separate staterooms, stateroom assignment required – TBA staterooms not permitted.

 If traveling in a balcony stateroom, minors must be in the same stateroom with a “Parent” (as listed above).

Ages 13 – 17: Must travel with a “Parent” (as listed above) in the same stateroom or separated by up to 3 staterooms down/across the hall.

 If traveling in separate staterooms, stateroom assignment required – TBA staterooms not permitted.

 For ages 13 and under, if traveling in a balcony stateroom, must be in the same stateroom with a “Parent” (as listed above).

Ages 18 – 20: May travel in separate stateroom from the “Parent” (as listed above) beyond the 3 staterooms down/across the hall and including separate decks in cases where spoilage must be avoided. Always make every effort to assign nearby.

We did this on our last cruise 4 years ago and had no problems. We did set down some strict guidelines but it really worked out great. We all had more room. The kids had their own "regular" beds and their own bathroom. It worked well when it was time to get ready for dinner.

This always seems to be a controversial topic, but each family must evaluate it for themselves. What do you feel comfortable with? We did this 4 years ago when we saw that the 3rd/4th passenger rate was not that much cheaper than just getting another cabin. So that is what we did and we loved it. It worked so well for us that we are doing it again!

Dawn

If your budget can afford the 2nd stateroom

1. Book 2 connecting rooms

2. Get an additional room key for their stateroom

3. Enjoy the benefit of two bathrooms

4. Open connecting interior doors for access to both rooms

5. Close connecting interior doors if Celebrating Anniversary (whiich you rightly deserve to do !)

6. Have a great cruise and if able to complete all of the above, you have met the "mother hen" requirements.

This is exactly what we do for our family of six. It's sometimes a little trouble to book, and we've even had to change ships/itineraries to accomodate us, but we LOVE adjoining cabins. Keeps us completely informed about what our kids are doing, but I can always close that door if we need privacy! :D

Also, TWO BATHROOMS....enough said! lol

This is exactly what we do for our family of six. It's sometimes a little trouble to book, and we've even had to change ships/itineraries to accomodate us, but we LOVE adjoining cabins. Keeps us completely informed about what our kids are doing, but I can always close that door if we need privacy! :D

2 bathrooms, connecting interior door than can be locked or kept open = PRICELESS !!!

GMTA..... Safe & Happy Travels

Getting 2 adjoining rooms is bigger than a suite in most cases so there is a real logic to having more room and baths than most cruisers. Close the door and it is mom and dad time. The icing on the cake is it may be cheaper than a suite that is smaller.

Sneaky! LOL

My DH and I have a balcony and our kids, 19, 15, and 14 will have their place across the hall. I am happy. We will have our private time and they will have all their stuff in one place. It will give them the feeling of freedom yet with one quick step we can be in each others room. The cost factor was an issue in getting 2 balconies. I would rather have more money to spend doing fun stuff then having 2 balconies connect. Whatever way people do this it is great to have options. Our kids are excited to have their own place!

I not know what type of stateroom you want balcony, outside etc. but what I always do now is get myself a balcony/outside stateroom and put my daughter in an inside stateroom across the hall from me so it cost cheaper since she was single person in the cabin. :) Definately worth two showers and two toilets, plus you have privacy....

This is another option that I recently posted on a different thread.

Check out the Spirit class ships. They have a unique configuration that actually offer a balcony with an adjoining interior rated cabin near the front of the ship. The interior cabin is actually on the exterior of the ship. We booked Upper 5106/5108 on The Miracle several years ago and it was great! As there can only be two of these cabin combinations per deck offered, they probably sell out quick.

B

Check out the Spirit class ships. They have a unique configuration that actually offer a balcony with an adjoining interior rated cabin near the front of the ship. The interior cabin is actually on the exterior of the ship. We booked Upper 5106/5108 on The Miracle several years ago and it was great! As there can only be two of these cabin combinations per deck offered, they probably sell out quick.

B

Thats AWESOME!!!

I was just checking prices of 2 rooms vs 1. We will really have to budget hard to make it work as the cruise fare will be close to double :eek:. And I was only looking at insides.

Plus we could share a room and do a 7 day for cheaper than 2 rooms on a 5 day. HMMMM what a tough choice.

We just booked on the Fantasy and they made us have someone over 25 in the room with our kids so My husband and I will be in separate rooms and the "kids" are 22 and two are 19. They can gamble and one can drink, but they can't sleep alone, lol.

One balcony, one interior room across the hall. Almost as cheap as 4 in the balcony. I get keys to both. The space alone is worth it- and some privacy is nice- especially if you are celebrating your anniversary. Trust but verify- I can go in at any time and always require that they check in with us at night before crashing. To be sure there are no problems we register me in one room, husband in other (especially if you have stock in common- you'll get the OBC for both rooms- twice is nice!). Once on board we switch around. The biggest thing we have had happen is that the kids have been known to order room service at 2 am. Oh well- if that is the worst that happens I'm ok with it!

This time DH and I will bring DD & her BFF, both are 19 yrs old. I have booked 2 rooms side by side, one OV and the other PT. Because BFF is not traveling with her parents, I was told she must be booked into a room with someone at least 25 yrs old. So we had to book DH and DD in one room and BFF and myself in the other. I was told by PVP had both girls been sisters, they could have been booked in the same room... That being said, once we are onboard, girls will be in their own room and DH and I in the other. I will get extra keys so I can get in their room and they can get in mine..

I have 2 major rules for the girls they must be present for 6pm dinner at MDR and when in port, we all stay together .. :D

B

We're doing a family cruise on the Pride and learned about this option. Sounded perfect for what we wanted. Glad it worked out for you. The selling point was that it was less costly and larger than a suite that we were considering, and has the two bathrooms. Looking forward to it in July.

Fran

Archived