Questions re Lindblad Explorer & Antarctica

Turtles06

We are thinking about booking an Antarctica cruise, very likely on the Lindblad Explorer; I really appreciate the existence of this forum, and how much help folks are. We are in the early stages of looking at things, and I've posted the following inquiry on the Lindblad forum but am also posting here because this forum may be followed a bit more actively.

There does not seem to be much info out there about the cabins on the Lindblad. I know we wouldn't be spending much time in them, but if we do book, we would need to make a decision among the various cabin categories, so I'd like to have as much info as I can. (We'd likely be choosing among Cats 1-4, though 4 may be too expensive.) My partner is more susceptible to sea sickness than I, so being forward probably would not be best, which would rule out Cat 1, unless you all think that on this small a ship, being amidships wouldn't make much difference on that score.

If anyone who has been on the Explorer (regardless of the itinerary) can post any cabin pics, or provide other thoughts/help re cabin selection on this ship, it would be much appreciated! (Lindblad's web site has deck plans, but no cabin floor plans and no pics of most cabins.)

One additional question (which I'm only posting on this forum of course) is re the time to visit. I've read that by mid-January, we should start seeing penguin chicks... Does that square with people's experiences? Does mid-Jan/early Feb. seem like a good time to go?

Thanks in advance for any help!

(Visiting Antarctica is something I have always wanted to do. It's hard to believe we might actually get to do it!)

I went on the Explorer on the Nov 27, 2010 Antarctic trip. I was in a solo cabin (329) on the main deck. I loved the location, right by the center stairs. It was very easy to get to every place on the ship and very nice when they called for our group to go to the mud room, which was just down the stairs from my room. I didn't see any other rooms so can't say how they were but my room had plenty of storage for my stuff so I would think the larger rooms would be fine for two people. I did spend a surprising amount of time in my room, especially our next to last day crossing the Drake when we had huge waves, high wind and it was recommended we not go out.

As to the time to go. We did not see any babies, we did see eggs. There was alot of snow, more than normal, so in some of the sites the penguins didn't have nests yet. But because of the snow it was really clean and didn't smell too much. I have heard that Jan/Feb is the best time for babies but it may also be more expensive. There were sales on my trip so I essentially saved the single supplement.

Julie

Archived