Why the minimum age discrepancy?

AllyRae

We are trying to look at various options for excursions, but we're having problems with the minimum age. We will be travelling with our daughter, who will turn 3 a month after the cruise ends. We want to go to the Belize zoo (but want to have a reliable guide/agency. We have traveled to various places before, including me walking around Hanoi, Vietnam alone with a baby, so we're not really all that afraid of non-touristy stuff being unsafe. In fact, we like the non-touristy stuff more. But, with 3 young children, we'd also prefer not to be stranded. ;-) )

Anyhow, we'll be aboard Carnival's Dream, and they have a minimum age of 3 for the zoo trip (huh? It's a ZOO...those are supposed to be for kids!). But we've looked into other agencies, and there are no minimum ages for the zoo. We don't use a stroller, so we're not worried about that, and our 2 year old is plenty verbal and potty trained. She should be fine to go on the zoo trip (heck, carnival's excursions have her at the right age for swimming with dolphins, which I would assume is more risky!)

So, why does there seem to be so much discrepancy on minimum ages? And does anyone know if Carnival allows that rule to be bent? (Or do you know who they actually book with, and we can just book directly if they don't mind the little one being a month too young?). We definitely want to see the zoo and the city (and basically, be outside of the touristy shopping area....)

It says "this excursion is for children 3 and up". It seems really weird! I mean, maybe it involves a large bus or something and people don't want whiney kids on it (which I totally understand...but my 7 year old is way whinier than my 2 year old. :lol: )

It's a liability issue for Carnival. You're on a bus. There are no safety seats for small children. May not be any seat belts period. Plus you are most likely doing a city tour in conjunction with the zoo. Not really designed for children. Can be a bit boring.

Use a private excursion like ActionBelize or Island Marketing(Belize Crusie Excurisons) or Coral Breeze. They'll have smaller vans.

BTW, the zoo isn't your typical zoo. It's more of a game preserve environment used for native animal recovery. It is a very interesting site if you like animals and like to see them in a more native habitat.

That's the kind of zoos we like the best. :) (We have a safari thing out here in central Ohio where the animals are all in semi-native habitats (as best as you can get a giraffe in Ohio. LOL!) and the kids *love* it)

I'm really nervous about using a private company...when we went to cozumel, we did *not* have a good experience with using one. In Roatan, we are going to use Bodden because of the high recommendations...does anyone have a really trustworthy good recommendation for Belize? I do not want to be stranded with 3 young kids, or miss our boat or anything bad like that...

AllyRae, contact either coralbreeze or actionbelize. You can google them to get the info. Both have good reps and are aware of the importance of getting back before the last tender. A trip to just the zoo shouldn't take uup a lot of your day though. And they may suggest other places to visit with your younger children.

Sunnysideup4u...that's what I would have thought. We take this little one with us *everywhere* (and her siblings too, obviously. :lol: ). Pop her in the sling and go, ever since she was a newborn. She knows how to behave in public and she loves seeing new things. And we went to Hanoi on an adoption trip (to adopt our middle child) when my autistic son was just 3 years old. So traveling with small kids in less-than-kid-friendly places is something we're plenty used to. We're not afraid of being off the beaten path with kids (unless we forget to bring a snack for them. Then all's not well. LOL!)

crewsweeper..THANK YOU!!! I'll check them out!

We'll be on the Dream this summer with an adventurous 3 year also. We decided to book excursions on own since the Carnival Excursions that allowed a 3 year old seemed less interesting. So, we booked a zip and dip tour in Roatan and the Shark Ray Alley and Caye Caulker Excursion in Belize with Coral Breeze. Definitely looking forward to these!

Archived