Packing question

luv2travel06

I keep our suitcases under 50 pounds and take an extra bag if necessary. It costs less to take an additional bag than to pay overweight.

We almost always have three suitcases if gone between 13 - 17 days. When we went to Eurodam in October, we were only gone 8 days and used two suitcases.

After 16 cruises, one of which was 19 days long, we're down to one 21" suitcase into which we both pack, and two small carry-ons. DH packs grey slacks and a black microfiber blazer for formal nights, I take several pair of Travelers lightweight pants with different scrunchable tops, two very light long jersey dresses in solid colors for "fancy" which I dress up with jewelry, light wraps etc. 3 pairs of shoes, max., even for 3 weeks, i.e. two pairs of walking shoes, one black pair of dancing/ dressy shoes. Microfiber underwear which washes easily and dries quickly. One last thing, a sweater that goes with everything, since most ships are over-air conditioned, i.e. to me at least, freezing.

That works great for evenings but what do you wear during the days? No slacks, capris, jeans, dockers, jerseys, t-shirts, blouses, swimsuits?

We are soon to sail on our first cruise of more than 7 nights. We recently flew to Florida for a week on the beach and each had a suitcase weighing 49.99 lbs plus a carry-on. How do you pack for a cruise of 11 nights and keep the luggage under the weight limit when you have to pack formal clothes? Do you take an extra suitcase? Or do you pay the overweight bag fee? Which is cheaper?

The thing to remember is that everybody has the same limitations, so we all wear things multiple times. I pack with one basic color (black) and mix and match tops. That limits the amount of accessories I need to bring. I also try to bring lightweight clothes and nothing heavy. One black pashmina will go with all my evening outfits in case it is chilly on board. I wear dressy tops with black slacks.

Try hard to not care what others think and you will be able to pack light and be much happier in the end.

Archived