Seeking port advice (detailed)

Cyclone92

Hello all,

I will be taking a HAL inside passage cruise on July 16 out of Vancouver. I have done a lot of research and reading on various forums and websites. As of now, I have narrowed our shore excursion choices down to a small list at each location. I would love any input or suggestions from anyone who has knowledge or experience.

One of my primary concerns is that we see the main attraction(s) of each port. I realize a lot of people insist on doing whale watching. However, my group would prefer not to go sit on a boat for several hours just in hopes of seeing a whale or two. We would prefer a more active and hands on type of excursion.

Though we are not cheap and frugal, we felt that the helicopter and float plane excursions were not worth the price. It seemed to me that you pay a lot of money and get a short ride. Although the sights are probably very cool, I felt like the other excursions would allow you to do more for less money. Correct me if I am wrong.

There will be 6 - 7 people aged 14 - 55. We are all active people and really enjoy exploring, hiking and sightseeing.

Here is the list that we have narrowed the shore excursions down to:

Juneau:

Mendenhall Glacier Guide's Choice Hike

Mendenhall Glacier & Whale Quest

Mendenhall River Float Trip

Ketchikan:

Rainforest Canopy & Zipline Expedition

Wilderness Exploration & Crab Feast

Tatoosh Island Sea Kayaking

Bearing Sea Crab Fishermans Tour

Skagway:

Glacier Lake Kayak & White Pass Railway

Whit Pass Summit Scenic Railway

Please let me know of any experience you have with these ports and excursions or maybe any others that you would consider a better choice.

Finally, are any of the actual port towns worth spending much time for shoping, dining, sightseeing, etc?

Thank you in advance for any advice you all may have!!

Alex

You may want to consider booking some of these excursions independently, instead of using the cruise line, to save money. We booked Glacier Dog Sledding in Juneau directly through TEMSCO and saved about $100/person.

If you are intersted in the White Pass Railroad, check out Chilkoot Charters. We took their Yukon train/bus combo tour.

You can see photos and reviews on my blog:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/category/cruises/alaska-2010/

Copied from my response on Tripadvisor.

Only a suggestion, but I am assuming you are not "group" traveling on these excursions??? Split up according to interests. You do mention to "correct" and I will say you are way off base with your flightseeing ideas. This is an excellent viewing opportunity that you can not get any other way. Nothing will expose you to the expanse nor beauty like you get from the air. For me, it's a must do, multiple times every trip.

Anyway= of your list. :)

Juneau- there is NO need for any guide at Mendenhall. Trails are well marked. And most people want to get to Nugget Falls, which is a great way to get nice close glacier viewing.

fs.fed.us/r10/…trails.shtml

Nugget Falls trail is NOT on the map. You just walk along the lake, to the right, past the visitor center.

You list a whale watch- of which has 100% sightings of humpbacks. Usually many. Instead of the combo ship tour- a superior alternative is to consider an independent whale watch with a drop off/pick up at Mendenhall. You then just take the dock shuttle bus in the other direction, stay as long or short as you want. The combo tours, have usually 30-45 minutes at the glacier.

I never recommend the Mendenhall float trip. You get only a brief distant view of the glacier, rest of trip is trees and back yards. For the cost ot this tour, in my opinon, having first hand experience on it, money is FAR better spent elsewhere.

Ketchikan- all your listed tours, are equally recommended, if of interest. I do give an edge to a longer kayaking tour however, as Tatoosh is usually a shorter one.

Skagway- White Pass RR is a top scenic tour choice. Loaded with history. Various combo tours are excellent and may be a worthwhile consideration. The Lake Bennett tour is one of the best, loaded with superb scenery. The combo summit train, and Yukon trips are also excellent. Round trip train and summit combo trips are the shortest, and do not get you into the Yukon.

As you can see, it takes repeative trips to Alaska and there still is not enough time. :)

Hello all,

I will be taking a HAL inside passage cruise on July 16 out of Vancouver. I have done a lot of research and reading on various forums and websites. As of now, I have narrowed our shore excursion choices down to a small list at each location. I would love any input or suggestions from anyone who has knowledge or experience.

One of my primary concerns is that we see the main attraction(s) of each port. I realize a lot of people insist on doing whale watching. However, my group would prefer not to go sit on a boat for several hours just in hopes of seeing a whale or two. We would prefer a more active and hands on type of excursion.

Though we are not cheap and frugal, we felt that the helicopter and float plane excursions were not worth the price. It seemed to me that you pay a lot of money and get a short ride. Although the sights are probably very cool, I felt like the other excursions would allow you to do more for less money. Correct me if I am wrong.

There will be 6 - 7 people aged 14 - 55. We are all active people and really enjoy exploring, hiking and sightseeing.

Here is the list that we have narrowed the shore excursions down to:

Juneau:

Mendenhall Glacier Guide's Choice Hike

Mendenhall Glacier & Whale Quest

Mendenhall River Float Trip

Ketchikan:

Rainforest Canopy & Zipline Expedition

Wilderness Exploration & Crab Feast

Tatoosh Island Sea Kayaking

Bearing Sea Crab Fishermans Tour

Skagway:

Glacier Lake Kayak & White Pass Railway

Whit Pass Summit Scenic Railway

Please let me know of any experience you have with these ports and excursions or maybe any others that you would consider a better choice.

Finally, are any of the actual port towns worth spending much time for shoping, dining, sightseeing, etc?

Thank you in advance for any advice you all may have!!

Alex

In Ketchikan our absolute favorite was the canopy/zipline. Just about midway there's a 250 foot swinging bridge and we looked down at a mother bear with two cubs. The zips go from tree to tree and are unlike any we had seen or done before. Incidentally, my wife and I are both in our 60's and thought this was a total hoot!

My 2 cents is the larger the group and / or the larger the age spread the more likely interest and desire will diverge.

As another said, why not offer all options to all, some make sense to book thru the ship, others independent, sometimes togather and sometimes maybe seperate too.

Archived