NCL and Blue Lagoon Resort

zerooveride

I thought I'd bring everyone's attention to a little bit of a problem I had with the Blue Lagoon Resort in Nassau. I am sailing on the Jewel on the 27th and we were interested in doing one of the animal encounters. We contacted the resort to book directly with them because the cost of booking direct with them was $49 less than booking from NCL.

They replied with an e-mail asking that we "kindly" book with the cruise line and they could not assist me. I then this morning called them to find out why as no specific reason was as to why we could not book with them.

They informed me that their "deal" with NCL does not allow them to allow individuals to book directly with them. They then tried to say the old we transport you directly from the cruise ship, line on us for the additional $49 per person. Then they said that they couldn't help us and promptly hung up on us.

Before I get flammed, I do understand that booking directly with the cruise line does cost more money, but to be honest $49 per person for really nothing much more isn't worth it.

The problem I have is not being able to book directly when it is advertised on their site and they way we were treated. I just want to warn everyone of the experience we had.

Are we going to let this ruin our cruise, not a chance, but it may make us think a bit twice before booking NCL again or EVER booking with Blue Lagoon resort.

Some may ask why I hold NCL responsible, it is because I don't believe creating a contract like this is the right thing to do to their customers. I understand they have to make money to have a viable business and I could understand a $20 difference but $49 per person is a little crazy.

I've asked other customers several times while diving once in port and for the most part the excursions booked on board are within $10 of what guests pay who have not arrived on a cruise, in some cases my price has even been better, given that I have to get back to the ship prior to sailing I'd rather pay the $10 for the peace of mind.

Having said that the ship docs a fair way away from many of the excursions in Nassau, while I was diving there last year my wife and friends had a 55 minute trip each way to get to Atlantis, have you checked to see what the cost would be to get from the cruise terminal on your own to Blue Lagoon Resort, it may be that you wouldn't save much by booking direct

I just checked, the Blue Lagoon Resort is a 40 minute drive each way from the terminal so you would need to factor in that cost when comparing booking directly with through the cruise ship

I've asked other customers several times while diving once in port and for the most part the excursions booked on board are within $10 of what guests pay who have not arrived on a cruise, in some cases my price has even been better, given that I have to get back to the ship prior to sailing I'd rather pay the $10 for the peace of mind.

Having said that the ship docs a fair way away from many of the excursions in Nassau, while I was diving there last year my wife and friends had a 55 minute trip each way to get to Atlantis, have you checked to see what the cost would be to get from the cruise terminal on your own to Blue Lagoon Resort, it may be that you wouldn't save much by booking direct

I just checked, the Blue Lagoon Resort is a 40 minute drive each way from the terminal so you would need to factor in that cost when comparing booking directly with through the cruise ship

I'm not sure how you are traveling there but we just did it in December. It is a $4 per person (plus $1 per cab fot the bridge) for the taxi ride to the Ferry Terminal where they transport you to the Blue Lagoon. They drop you off at the ship on the way back so add $5.00 to the $49 Beach Pass and you are good to go!

We had the same issue trying to book a tour with Grand Bahama Nature Tours when we were in Freeport. In our case, though, the price difference was only $11 more pp to book through NCL. I think part of it is some of the extras that you get with the cruise line (the transportation, peace of mind, etc.) but I do also wonder if part of it, at least for some excursions, is that the cruise line is getting a cut of that fee so for both the cruise line and the tour operator to come out happy in the end, they have to increase it?

I'm not sure how you are traveling there but we just did it in December. It is a $4 per person (plus $1 per cab fot the bridge) for the taxi ride to the Ferry Terminal where they transport you to the Blue Lagoon. They drop you off at the ship on the way back so add $5.00 to the $49 Beach Pass and you are good to go!

Oops. I meant add $4 to the $45 beach pass and your total is $49.00pp. You also get there an hour before the rest on NCL's tour.

I had booked with Blue Lagoon a few weeks ago, and never got around to confirming with a Credit card...So when I went to book I called the 1800 # and was told that I could only book thru NCL. I also was told that the only ships they could book for were Carnival that they did not have the same contract. The women on the phone was very helpful. I explained to her that I had a confirmation # from a few weeks back...she said in that case she could book me. So I did.

She also told me that I could book the excursion thru my travel agent as well . ( another reason not to book directly thru NCL)

I asked her "so next time just tell you I'm staying in some resort ?" She laughed and said "Yes, probably"

So I guess you just need to lie to save 50 bucks !!

Seriously....unless you have a full day arriving in to Nassau in the a.m., going to Blue Lagoon is not good value for your money...but that's just me!

Our arrival time in Nassau was @ 1200..

tour met on the pier @ 1245...

slow walk to the ferry outside the straw market....

load the ferry...

40 min drive to Blue Lagoon.....

We got there @ 2:20..

had to eat by 3:00 as the Grill shut down

...took the 4:00p.m. ferry back (last ferry was @ 5:30 but we thought that cut it too short to be on board by 6:30...most returned on the 4:00 ferry)

Not much leisure time.

In fairness, the facility is great with lots of loungers, hammocks; sunny & shady spots....private beach like areas away from the lagoon and PLENTY of stuff for kids to do/see. Food was fine (basic BBQ burgers etc)

We just didn't have sufficient time to enjoy everything it had to offer at the rate of $59 pp.

Seriously....unless you have a full day arriving in to Nassau in the a.m., going to Blue Lagoon is not good value for your money...but that's just me!

Our arrival time in Nassau was @ 1200..

tour met on the pier @ 1245...

slow walk to the ferry outside the straw market....

load the ferry...

40 min drive to Blue Lagoon.....

We got there @ 2:20..

had to eat by 3:00 as the Grill shut down

...took the 4:00p.m. ferry back (last ferry was @ 5:30 but we thought that cut it too short to be on board by 6:30...most returned on the 4:00 ferry)

Not much leisure time.

In fairness, the facility is great with lots of loungers, hammocks; sunny & shady spots....private beach like areas away from the lagoon and PLENTY of stuff for kids to do/see. Food was fine (basic BBQ burgers etc)

We just didn't have sufficient time to enjoy everything it had to offer at the rate of $59 pp.

your experience was the same as ours

We had about 2 hours at some run down beach before we had to line up for the boat back to the Epic. That is why I tell Epic passengers to stay on the ship in Nassau. We arrived 30 mins late at 1230. We did not transport to Blue Lagoon until almost 2. We did not get there until after 245 and lined up for the boat back at 415

A total rip off

We also did the blue lagoon beach break through NCL. It was the worst excursion I ever took as well. It took us over an hour to get there on some old run down tiki boat that didn't have enough seats for everyone who booked so many people had to stand over an hour. Took us another 20 mins to get off the boat once we were docked. By the time we got there we couldn't get any lounge chairs. It was like a run down beach by a river really not the ocean or anything more like a stream. We couldn't wait to leave and refused to get back on that tiki boat caught a ride with the carnival boat going back to the port which was a nice speed boat and we were back in about 20 mins.

I love NCL have never had a bad excursion until this one, never again.

I did the Blue Lagoon dolphin swim during President's week with my son. Since he was not old enough for NCL's age requirement, we booked through another online agent. It was a fair amount cheaper. The dolphin experience was incredible--and we sprung for the DVD of it and have been enjoying watching the experience over and over.

Also, my wife did the dolphin encounter with my daughter [at age 3, through the other agent and by Blue Lagoon's guidelines she was was free of charge]. They enjoyed their experience as well.

By not booking through NCL, it was somewhat cheaper, but we did have to arrange for a taxi ride from the cruise ship terminal to the Blue Lagoon ferry terminal--all of $16 or so for the 4 of us, but not the most pleasant experience].

On the return trip, we ended up staying on the ferry and got dropped off right at the cruise ship terminal [the first stop was announced as locals and hotel guests only].

Not sure if they've changed how they accept bookings in the past month or what.

We also did the blue lagoon beach break through NCL. It was the worst excursion I ever took as well. It took us over an hour to get there on some old run down tiki boat that didn't have enough seats for everyone who booked so many people had to stand over an hour. Took us another 20 mins to get off the boat once we were docked. By the time we got there we couldn't get any lounge chairs. It was like a run down beach by a river really not the ocean or anything more like a stream. We couldn't wait to leave and refused to get back on that tiki boat caught a ride with the carnival boat going back to the port which was a nice speed boat and we were back in about 20 mins.

I love NCL have never had a bad excursion until this one, never again.

WOW

I had the exact same experience. I loved every excurision I have ever done except this one was a total rip off and disaster. I threw away the meal ticket and wanted to leave immediately. It is a total fraud.

Archived