NCL and Blue Lagoon Resort

zerooveride

I thought I'd bring everyone's attention to a little bit of a problem I had with the Blue Lagoon Resort in Nassau. I am sailing on the Jewel on the 27th and we were interested in doing one of the animal encounters. We contacted the resort to book directly with them because the cost of booking direct with them was $49 less than booking from NCL.

They replied with an e-mail asking that we "kindly" book with the cruise line and they could not assist me. I then this morning called them to find out why as no specific reason was as to why we could not book with them.

They informed me that their "deal" with NCL does not allow them to allow individuals to book directly with them. They then tried to say the old we transport you directly from the cruise ship, line on us for the additional $49 per person. Then they said that they couldn't help us and promptly hung up on us.

Before I get flammed, I do understand that booking directly with the cruise line does cost more money, but to be honest $49 per person for really nothing much more isn't worth it.

The problem I have is not being able to book directly when it is advertised on their site and they way we were treated. I just want to warn everyone of the experience we had.

Are we going to let this ruin our cruise, not a chance, but it may make us think a bit twice before booking NCL again or EVER booking with Blue Lagoon resort.

Some may ask why I hold NCL responsible, it is because I don't believe creating a contract like this is the right thing to do to their customers. I understand they have to make money to have a viable business and I could understand a $20 difference but $49 per person is a little crazy.

While I understand your frustration, most cruiselines have that type of contract with their tour companies. Either they just rewrote their contract recently or weren't enforcing it because we booked the Beach Get-away directly with the Blue Lagoon in December 2010 while on the Gem.

If you really want to do the Blue Lagoon, while you cannot make advance reservations, there is nothing stopping you from taking a taxi to the ferry and booking it while you are there.

Taxi to ferry was $4.00 each plus $1.00 total for the bridge.

This is typical of many places. In Antigua, you cannot book ziplining directly because of their deal thru NCL. I have run into this in various other locations with various operators, both in the Caribbean and Europe. Unfortunately, that's just the way it is.

Robin

We thought about just going there but will not be doing that now. I understand about the contracts and all but $49 is a bit extreme and not the right thing to do to your customers.

I agree with you about $49 being outrageous. I am doing 3 excursions on my trip and priced them if I had booked them on my own, the difference was $80 for all three. Since I don't know the ins and outs of cruising I decided to pay the extra just for piece of mind so I wouldn't miss the ship.

However...I am just paying for myself, not for an entire family. $49 per person, for one excursion is way too much...especially if the cruise line isn't doing anything different than the tour company.

This is typical of many places. In Antigua, you cannot book ziplining directly because of their deal thru NCL. I have run into this in various other locations with various operators, both in the Caribbean and Europe. Unfortunately, that's just the way it is.

Robin

I would be interested just how they would stop you from hiring your own personal tour guide at Pompeii for example.

Really, how is it that they can stop you in Europe from doing your own thing?

Not being snarky here, just interested. They can't stop you from having a private driver meet you at the port..or get you tix to a museum...and have you ever met the gondoliers in Venice?:eek: They most certainly do their own thing.

Really, just looking for an example of this sort of thing in modern Europe because we are once again going next year...and doing our own port tours.

I can see how they can cajole the islanders with economic bullying...but not in Europe...however, I am sure in some small port like Malta..it might be done...but I am also sure that you will be able to find a great cab driver on your own as well there...

We thought about just going there but will not be doing that now. I understand about the contracts and all but $49 is a bit extreme and not the right thing to do to your customers.

you will waste more time getting there and back..and from what I have researched the ferry only runs a few times each way

Already looked they don't have Blue Lagoon. I actually looked there first. But even if they did now, we wouldn't be doing it.

I agree with you...and we are doing the BCH day pass..for the convenience...thru Island Marketing and just gave a 20% deposit..that's all

btw, waving at you from Westchester

I agree with other posters that all cruise lines seem to do this, I think I have seen it discussed on every message board I visit! I think the problem comes in when a cruiser tries to book the same tour, same company that the cruise line is using ---- most lines make them sign a contact prohibiting that, although it seems there must be ways to get around it if you are really determined. The extra cost is the cut the cruise line gets for selling the tour. But there is no prohibition from booking other private tours, with companies or private operators in the different ports. We have done this many times, we do save money and usually get a smaller, more individual tour. However, the big risk is that you have no protection if something should happen and you miss the ship, but that's another topic. Anyway, NCL is certainly not alone in this practice so I don't think it makes much sense to swear off cruising with them.

I would be interested just how they would stop you from hiring your own personal tour guide at Pompeii for example.

Not being snarky here, just interested. They can't stop you from having a private driver meet you at the port..or get you tix to a museum...and have you ever met the gondoliers in Venice?:eek: They most certainly do their own thing.

Really, just looking for an example of this sort of thing in modern Europe because we are once again going next year...and doing our own port tours.

I can see how they can cajole the islanders with economic bullying...but not in Europe...however, I am sure in some small port like Malta..it might be done...but I am also sure that you will be able to find a great cab driver on your own as well there...

This thread is talking about specific tour vendors that are contracted by NCL. There is nothing keeping you from hiring your own guide, but booking a specific location/provider that is contracted by NCL is a different story.

PE

Planer's Edge really said it all.. I can't remember exactly where I ran against the problem in Europe - I think it was in Taormina/Messina Sicily, when we wanted to do a wine tasting and lunch on our own that NCL had contracted with the specific vineyard... I remember one other instance as well, but we declined to go because of the NCL contract, just don't remember where. No problem hiring your own guide or doing most things on your own. I have only been on two NCL tours in all my cruises (because it was the only way to do it), so it is not a problem most of the time.

Robin

When I went to Nassau last summer, I was able to book directly through the Blue Lagoon on line. I just tried that same website that I used before and didn't have any problems. I was able to make a reservation without a hitch. I don't think I can list the website but, if you google "blue lagoon bahamas", it is the first entry on the list.

Planer's Edge really said it all.. I can't remember exactly where I ran against the problem in Europe - I think it was in Taormina/Messina Sicily, when we wanted to do a wine tasting and lunch on our own that NCL had contracted with the specific vineyard... I remember one other instance as well, but we declined to go because of the NCL contract, just don't remember where. No problem hiring your own guide or doing most things on your own. I have only been on two NCL tours in all my cruises (because it was the only way to do it), so it is not a problem most of the time.

Robin

agree that maybe for some of the out of the ordinary things it may happen in Europe...but no way is it going to happen with a private driver who is giving you a private tour that will include various stops.

I would think that for certain stuff..like a small winery that makes money off the tour groups and not so much from individuals that it is possible that the cruiseline has the advantage....but if you hire a private driver and ask to go to a winery...they will take you to one...and the winery will admit you..if they are having tours that day and there is room for you....because..who is to say that you aren't staying in a hotel or renting an apartment for the week? In the case of a private driver, there is no need for anyone but the driver to know that you are from a ship.

We did a very reasonable winery tour in Dubrovnik thru CCL and were quite happy with it...and in this port I didn't want a private driver anyway.

agree that maybe for some of the out of the ordinary things it may happen in Europe...but no way is it going to happen with a private driver who is giving you a private tour that will include various stops.

I would think that for certain stuff..like a small winery that makes money off the tour groups and not so much from individuals that it is possible that the cruiseline has the advantage....but if you hire a private driver and ask to go to a winery...they will take you to one...and the winery will admit you..if they are having tours that day and there is room for you....because..who is to say that you aren't staying in a hotel or renting an apartment for the week? In the case of a private driver, there is no need for anyone but the driver to know that you are from a ship.

We did a very reasonable winery tour in Dubrovnik thru CCL and were quite happy with it...and in this port I didn't want a private driver anyway.

Just spoke to my hubby about this. That was the way we were trying it in Messina, with a private driver.. Requested the specific winery (partway up Mt Etna) as it was the only one open the day we were there - it was a small winery, not sure there are any large ones on the island?? Driver was the one who told us it couldn't be done, so we cancelled the tour and went with NCL. the zip line in Antigua turned us away with a rental car (and we don't look like the average cruise guest). They were the only zip liners on the island, so we went to visit a friend who lives there instead. She even tried calling for a res for us, and they wouldn't give one to her either, explaining that the cruise line was pressuring them to not allow any opportunities to cruise guests.

Just spoke to my hubby about this. That was the way we were trying it in Messina, with a private driver.. Requested the specific winery (partway up Mt Etna) as it was the only one open the day we were there - it was a small winery, not sure there are any large ones on the island?? Driver was the one who told us it couldn't be done, so we cancelled the tour and went with NCL. the zip line in Antigua turned us away with a rental car (and we don't look like the average cruise guest). They were the only zip liners on the island, so we went to visit a friend who lives there instead. She even tried calling for a res for us, and they wouldn't give one to her either, explaining that the cruise line was pressuring them to not allow any opportunities to cruise guests.

I guess that Messina could be consider a rather small port...with limited activities....but great history...so the small winery makes out better with the cruiseline than with individuals...but I would think that NCL probably books all the winery reservations for that day so that is why you couldn't get in.

I have spent many days in Sicily (100% Sicilian heritage as is DH) and have stayed in hotels and had rental cars, so if I drove to the winery and they had a reservation, I would get in...but it sounds as though on big ship cruise dates that the small winery just reserved the spots for NCL..at a discount of course:D

But realistically...cruiseship reservation hogging aside.....any driver can take any pax to a winery..even if they are from a cruiseship...now here is the catch...as long as the ship hasn't taken all the reservations for the day.

Won't happen in Rome though nor will the cruiseship book all the gondolas in Venice...but yes, where it can be done...it probably is done by the cruiseships

It bothers me a little though that your friend couldn't get you the zip line thing.....why did they need to know you were from the ship? So if I were to go visit a friend in Antigua that I couldn't get a reservation!!! Silly...but obviously on ship port days it is close to impossible...because NCL is using economic strongarming...and the tour provider needs there business so they succumb....the day after the ship leaves bet there is no problem of course. It is just a limited number of reservations thing...and the cruise line is taking them all....not to difficult to understand of course....not that we have to like it

Neither place was sold out the day we were there, but I am sure that the financial benefits they receive from NCL far outweighs the money they might get from a few stragglers for one out of seven days in the week. I completely understand what you are saying, but in the case of Messina, we were denied directly after the request to the driver (by email before the cruise). He told us that he was unable to make a reservation at the winery for cruise ship guests, that he had been denied before and it was impossible with that particular winery. He did try to find another, but they were closed the day we visited. Perhaps he was just too honest, or perhaps the winery felt pressured by NCL, don't know. But there were definitely other tables of non-cruise guests, and plenty of empty ones. It was like the "old" rules in Morocco. NCL claimed that you couldn't book a private overnight in Marrakech because of local laws - our tour operator told us otherwise, but when you are disembarking at one port and embarking at another, NCL makes the rules. Luckily, they have since changed that "rule". In Antigua, our friend was told that her guests should visit another day, that NCL was very watchful. They offered her a reservation with her local ID, but would not chance it on any guests. Didn't mind it though, we had a fine day at the beach with our friend!

I thought I'd bring everyone's attention to a little bit of a problem I had with the Blue Lagoon Resort in Nassau. I am sailing on the Jewel on the 27th and we were interested in doing one of the animal encounters. We contacted the resort to book directly with them because the cost of booking direct with them was $49 less than booking from NCL.

They replied with an e-mail asking that we "kindly" book with the cruise line and they could not assist me. I then this morning called them to find out why as no specific reason was as to why we could not book with them.

They informed me that their "deal" with NCL does not allow them to allow individuals to book directly with them. They then tried to say the old we transport you directly from the cruise ship, line on us for the additional $49 per person. Then they said that they couldn't help us and promptly hung up on us.

Before I get flammed, I do understand that booking directly with the cruise line does cost more money, but to be honest $49 per person for really nothing much more isn't worth it.

The problem I have is not being able to book directly when it is advertised on their site and they way we were treated. I just want to warn everyone of the experience we had.

Are we going to let this ruin our cruise, not a chance, but it may make us think a bit twice before booking NCL again or EVER booking with Blue Lagoon resort.

Some may ask why I hold NCL responsible, it is because I don't believe creating a contract like this is the right thing to do to their customers. I understand they have to make money to have a viable business and I could understand a $20 difference but $49 per person is a little crazy.

I think the reason for the resort asking you to book directly with the cruise line is about transportation to the resort. I was just at Blue Lagoon from the Epic in December. The boats are packed with all the ships going to Blue Lagoon. They have much more than just animal encounters. It took us about an hour to get there from waiting to get on the boat, and motor boating over to the island. It probably cost alot for fuel to shuttle passengers back and forth. I am sure the cruise line pays a fair amount of their fuel. Even when we were done and wanted to go back, there were lines for boats and they kept coming. I dont see how the resort could shuttle you back and forth to the island since it appears their boats are chartered by the cruise lines.

But of course my theory could be completely wrong. But how were you going to get to the island if not for the charter boats that pick you up at the port?

Blue Lagoon was the WORST excursion I have ever done on a cruise ship. I thought the place was a dump. As soon as the boat docked at the island, I immediately wish I had stayed on the boat in Nassau. No one greeted us. No one showed us around. No one gave a tour. No one welcomed us to the island. We had trouble finding people to assist us. I threw my meal ticket away and refused to even eat at the place. It was the biggest tourist trap I have ever seen (and that says alot because I live in a tourist area). I did not do any animal enounters but did get to watch some of them. So I cannot comment too much on the animals. But everything else is a run down beach resort with no staff. It was HORRIBLE.

I have enjoyed every excursion on every cruise I have taken except this one. I guess you cant win them all :)

We booked the Blue Lagoon Island Sea Lion Encounter through NCL for our cruise last week, I was like a little kid, I was so excited to do this since we have done the dolphin swim and trainer for a day at Atlantis and Discovery Cove. Then our second night out to sea the excursion desk called to tell us it was cancelled for a lack of participation! They refunded our money and we booked something else. There were alot of people going to Blue Lagoon Island from the ship doing beach days so I wondered what would have happened if we had booked on our own. We rarely book a ship excursion but in this case with the ferry and cab rides we thought it would be better to be on a ship excursion in case we missed the ferry back. Sometimes the extra money is worth the peace of mind. I know they are not leaving the port without me if I am on a ship excursion.

While I think the price point gets pushed by the cruise lines, they do add value, that is often behind the scenes or overlooked by us. If you have ever been on a cruise lines first ship to a port, you will see the engineering and safety folks out checking the vendors boats for safety. On the other hand, I have never seen them checking tour buses out, so I don't know what they do on land.

Al

Archived