Chakanaab Park in Cozumel

C-foxatsea

My kids and I will be on the Imagination in July, and we will be in Cozumel for a day. We want to go to Chakanaab Park to swim with the dolphins, and wondered if anyone knows how much it is if you don't book through Carnival? I am having a hard time finding info on this. Also, how much to take a cab to the Park? Thanks for any advice!!!

I don't know how much it is to swim with the dolphins, you may want to check their website. You can also print off a coupon for $2 off the price of admission.

We were just there in February and snorkeled from the beach. It was a very nice park. It wasn't crowded and we had no problem finding covered lounges. The service was excellent and the prices reasonable. We only purchased chips and salsa and 2 frozen cocktails. It cost $13 plus tip. The entrance fee to Chankanaab was $21.00 per person (for adults) and the taxi fare was $10.00 each way. We shared a taxi with another couple. The taxi fares are posted just outside the Puerta Maya shopping area.

We saw many people swimming with the dolphins and they seemed to have a great time. There is also a seal show but we didn't go. We live near Sea World in Orlando so it didn't appeal to us.

Have FUN!:)

I was there in Sept. Cab was l think $7.50 (less than $10 definitely). Wife and I paid $45 each at the gate. We did the thing with snorkeling and drinks. I actually really enjoyed the food there!

Edit: whoops I guess it was $45 for the both of us. Sorry

My kids and I will be on the Imagination in July, and we will be in Cozumel for a day. We want to go to Chakanaab Park to swim with the dolphins, and wondered if anyone knows how much it is if you don't book through Carnival? I am having a hard time finding info on this. Also, how much to take a cab to the Park? Thanks for any advice!!!

See --> https://www.dolphins-cozumel.com/

$129, $99 or $79 per person depending on activity

We were there in mid-February, albeit on Carnival's Clear Kayak and Snorkeling Excursion. If you wind thru the shops in Puerta Maya there are Taxis and Rental cars at rear entrance (we had to show our S&S cards to re-enter). Chankanaab is only a few minutes ride to the South and is very clean and spacious, modern buildings, an open-air Restaurant and an area with shops and fast food - not at all crowded. The sandy beach ends in large rocks before entering the water. There were several (6?) Dolphin pens and the Dolphin rides looked pretty decent. You should be able to google "Chankanaab Park" to find their site and rates. ken

We have been there twice and swam with the dolphins both times. Good idea to book independently, the first time we booked through Carnival (1st cruise) and the next time direct with them. It was less than half, of course we booked during the swine flu thing so there were some big discounts.

Anyway, if you book with them you will get a better swim for much less cost. We did the royal swim and there were only the four of us in the group so the video was just of us. that was pretty nice.

Thank you everyone for the great and speedy advice!!!! We will definitely book independently to save a few bucks:)

if you try to book, as soon as you say youre on a Carnival ship it will block you. Carnival wants you to pay THEIR price. So, you either need to say you are staying at a hotel in Cozumel or say you are on another cruise line. Go to cruisett dot com and see what other ship is in port that same day and when you book online just pick that cruiseline. Thats what I did. ;) Saved about $110 bucks.

I agree book independantly. My son and I went a couple of years ago and booked in advance. I paid $7.50 at the gate his cost was included. He did the royal, push, pull and swim. There were only 10 in his group and there were 2 dolphins. I was able to watch up close and got great pictures of his experience. I think the cab ride was $10 each way but we shared with a couple and so it was like $3 per person.

The park was beautiful. There is a pool with a swim up bar and you can walk the beach and there is a couple eating areas as well.

You guys will have an awesome time

I agree book independantly. My son and I went a couple of years ago and booked in advance. I paid $7.50 at the gate his cost was included. He did the royal, push, pull and swim. There were only 10 in his group and there were 2 dolphins. I was able to watch up close and got great pictures of his experience. I think the cab ride was $10 each way but we shared with a couple and so it was like $3 per person.

The park was beautiful. There is a pool with a swim up bar and you can walk the beach and there is a couple eating areas as well.

You guys will have an awesome time

Gobucks, we must be neighbors! Westland grad here, I believe thats in your neighborhood!

I want to do the royal dolphin swim in May and am cruising with Carnival. We will be the only ship in port that day. So frustrating for me. Don't really want to pay Carnivals higher rate, but might have to. :o(

I want to do the royal dolphin swim in May and am cruising with Carnival. We will be the only ship in port that day. So frustrating for me. Don't really want to pay Carnivals higher rate, but might have to. :o(

Just say you're at a hotel.

We were there in October 2009 with our kids and did the Dolphin tourthat 6 year olds are allowed to participate in. It was amazing, and something none of us will ever forget. We're heading by Cozumel again in 2 weeks, and we're considering visiting this park again, because it was such a nice setup, but we won't do the dolpins again. That was a once in a very long time special occasion sort of thing.

Bring extra money. They film you while you're in the water and you can purchase the video and photos to take home. We were suckers and bought a set to take home to the grandparents. Well worth it, but we added over $100 to our already expensive trip.

And we booked independently. Cab drivers know exactly where to take you, and you'll have no trouble getting a cab back to port when you're done.

I started a thread, but I should have just asked my question here. Sorry about that. :o

Our DS(19) wants to do the dolphin swim, but my DH & I only want to watch him. We'll be on a Carnival ship & there's only 2 Carnival ships in port that day. No other ships are scheduled. (Thanks for that website, btw.) Anyway, what is the best option for us to be able to watch him w/o paying full price for the dolphin swim? Also, will we be able to get close enough to video & take pics of him, w/o needing to buy the ones they take? TIA for the help. :)

I started a thread, but I should have just asked my question here. Sorry about that. :o

Our DS(19) wants to do the dolphin swim, but my DH & I only want to watch him. We'll be on a Carnival ship & there's only 2 Carnival ships in port that day. No other ships are scheduled. (Thanks for that website, btw.) Anyway, what is the best option for us to be able to watch him w/o paying full price for the dolphin swim? Also, will we be able to get close enough to video & take pics of him, w/o needing to buy the ones they take? TIA for the help. :)

When we checked in (after booking online), they asked us if anyone wanted to "upgrade" for like $5-$10 to "observer". We didn't take them up on it, so not sure whether you'd be able to film it. Although they did let us take our waterproof cameras into the dolphin encounter with us. Check out the Chankanaab website, they have a live chat option and the people working it are very helpful.

I did not do the swim when I took my son (then age 11.5). We booked independantly and took a taxi. I paid I want to say $7.50 to get into the park and then I think $5 to get a wristband to get closer than the park observers. I was still able to stay with him for the safety briefing and then afterwards when they take you to watch their video in an effort to get you to buy a package. I took pictures and video on my own, with a decent off the shelf Kodak. I did purchase two of the pictures that were close-up as they were just too cute not too.

I have received an email from travelzoo this week talking about discounts for a swim with the dolphins in Cozumel. I think they are actually speaking of more of the encounter but you may check it out. Says that the farther in advance of the booking the more the discount. It does ask if you are on a cruise ship but I didn't realize or hadn't checked into it farther, I thought it was just to make sure of the time because it was only being offered for 1pm and 3 pm tours. Have fun this is something I have considered just don't know which I think would be better I had even looked into the diving with them but didn't know if diving or the royal swim would be more fun

A friend of mine just got back.

She just called them directly, they asked, she said Carnival and they said ok but didn't change the price. Have you tried?

Thanks to all of you for the help. I really appreciate it. It was my understanding that we couldn't book directly, since we'll be on a Carnival ship. I don't want to stretch the truth. ;) I was considering booking the swim for our DS now, before it sells out, then asking the shore excursion rep what the cheapest option would be for us to watch him. That's really all we want to do there, so I'm not crazy about paying for a different Chakanaab Park excursion just to do that. We will, if we have to. The $12.50 price to watch would be perfect though. I wish I was brave enough to just show up at the park & buy the ticket. I'm afraid they'll be booked up & he won't be able to do the swim. (We're going in July.) We need to figure out a way to book the swim for him through Carnival, then only pay for observation for my DH & I. That would be ideal. Maybe, I'll try calling directly to see what they say. Thanks again for the help. :)

Archived