BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO on Radiance 3.15.11

LIVE MONDAY, March 15, Radiance of the Seas, 11:30 am ship time

I’m currently on the Radiance of the Seas March 14, 5-day sailing. We left Tampa yesterday, Sea Day today. This morning @ 9:30 am ship time, I heard the dreaded Bravo Bravo Bravo alert, specifying crew to respond to a specific crew cabin # on Deck 1. I was in my cabin getting ready for the day, DH was at Windjammer having breakfast. I stayed put but began planning for what I might need to grab in the event I heard a more serious announcement. DH returned 5 minutes later, and within another 10 minutes we heard the first of 3 further announcements, all from the captain, who kept us informed. 1st he told us it was a reported fire on Deck 1 fore, in the crew cabin area. He said there was smoke and alarms, and that crew was responding expediently. Source had not been identified, and that they were working towards isolating it. Second announcement from the captain, 5 minutes later was to crew only which instructed them to block and avoid a certain crew stairwell. 3rd announcement came some 15 minutes later saying the source had been identified and isolated, and that the investigation was continuing. The rest of the ship seems to be going on without interruption. I’m in the Centrum right now and a cooking demo is taking place. I am very grateful that there has been good communication from the captain throughout the morning. I believe all is well, and I have the info from the captain to form that opinion. Perhaps cruise lines ARE learning from past mistakes when info was in short supply. If you don’t tell people something credible, they are left to come up with rumors, which in the big picture, makes a small incident that much bigger. I will try to keep you posted on what further info I learn, but for now, I feel that all is well, and I applaud the captain’s frequent announcements this morning.

Time for a Bloody Mary!! 

LIVE MONDAY, March 15, Radiance of the Seas, 11:30 am ship time

I’m currently on the Radiance of the Seas March 14, 5-day sailing. We left Tampa yesterday, Sea Day today. This morning @ 9:30 am ship time, I heard the dreaded Bravo Bravo Bravo alert, specifying crew to respond to a specific crew cabin # on Deck 1. I was in my cabin getting ready for the day, DH was at Windjammer having breakfast. I stayed put but began planning for what I might need to grab in the event I heard a more serious announcement. DH returned 5 minutes later, and within another 10 minutes we heard the first of 3 further announcements, all from the captain, who kept us informed. 1st he told us it was a reported fire on Deck 1 fore, in the crew cabin area. He said there was smoke and alarms, and that crew was responding expediently. Source had not been identified, and that they were working towards isolating it. Second announcement from the captain, 5 minutes later was to crew only which instructed them to block and avoid a certain crew stairwell. 3rd announcement came some 15 minutes later saying the source had been identified and isolated, and that the investigation was continuing. The rest of the ship seems to be going on without interruption. I’m in the Centrum right now and a cooking demo is taking place. I am very grateful that there has been good communication from the captain throughout the morning. I believe all is well, and I have the info from the captain to form that opinion. Perhaps cruise lines ARE learning from past mistakes when info was in short supply. If you don’t tell people something credible, they are left to come up with rumors, which in the big picture, makes a small incident that much bigger. I will try to keep you posted on what further info I learn, but for now, I feel that all is well, and I applaud the captain’s frequent announcements this morning.

Time for a Bloody Mary!! 

Ironically, they ran that exact scenario last week while we were in Costa Maya as part of their weekly safety drills. I guess it pays to be prepared:)

Archived