cabo water taxi question

KNITWITS

I've heard that you should expect to get wet getting off the taxi which is fine, but I was wondering if it would be difficult to get off the taxi for someone with a little bit of limited mobility? Not enough to need a cane or anything, but I have a problem with lifting my foot upward higher than a stairstep?

I've heard that you should expect to get wet getting off the taxi which is fine, but I was wondering if it would be difficult to get off the taxi for someone with a little bit of limited mobility? Not enough to need a cane or anything, but I have a problem with lifting my foot upward higher than a stairstep?

It might be, depending on how big the waves are. Getting off isn't usually do bad- you jump and hope for the best!:D But getting back on can be difficult especially if the boat is bobbing up and down. There are a couple boats that actually have a small set of stairs on the front but out of the maybe 50? 75? water taxis, it would be hard to depend on that one being where you need it to be. You will have to swing your leg up and jump in from the water so it is going to be much higher than a stair step. If you are going to Medano beach, you can always take a regular taxi- about the same time to get there and about the same price ($10 for up to 4 people)

If you have limited mobility (as I do) I would not recommend a water taxi either to, or from, Medano Beach. I would take a regular taxi instead.

Enjoy your time at the beach, and return in a taxi. It will probably cost you less than $20US round trip.

If you want to see the Arches, Lover's Beach, Divorce Beach, and the sea lions, that too can be a problem if you take a Panga near the cruise docks, as you very well may have to disembark on the public dock which can be difficult (I once twisted my bad knee and spent 2 days limping around.)

The tour of the arches is great, btw, and I make sure to do it each and everytime I am in Cabo!

If you wander down the Marina (towards Soloman's) you can often find pangas or even small fishing boats that are willing to take you out to the arches. You can enter (and exit) those boats from a dock which is a simple step (the dock is about the same level as the boat deck!)

Don't forget to bargain. Unless the port is insainly busy, you should be able to secure a tour of the arches and back for $10-12US pp.

Thank you so much for all the information. I'll probably go over by Taxi. We did plan on doing a glass bottom boat tour of the arches etc on one of the Cabo days but haven't set anything up yet. I've heard that it is easy and cheaper to do from the dock than the ship's tour.

Thank you so much for all the information. I'll probably go over by Taxi. We did plan on doing a glass bottom boat tour of the arches etc on one of the Cabo days but haven't set anything up yet. I've heard that it is easy and cheaper to do from the dock than the ship's tour.

No need to set that up in advance. There will be many, many water taxis (also known as glass bottom boats) waiting right at the dock when you depart begging you to take a tour with them. Walk a little further down the mariana boardwalk as the captains there are more likely to negociate. Always agree on the price before you get in the boat.

Have fun!

No need to set that up in advance. There will be many, many water taxis (also known as glass bottom boats) waiting right at the dock when you depart begging you to take a tour with them. Walk a little further down the mariana boardwalk as the captains there are more likely to negociate. Always agree on the price before you get in the boat.

Have fun!

That is what we did last year, and will do again this year. We booked at the marina, but not the first person who called to us. He then took us to see arches and sea lions etc and dropped us off at the beach that has the resorts. We told him what time we wanted to be picked up and he came back for us. It was my kids' favorite day of the cruise!

That is what we did last year, and will do again this year. We booked at the marina, but not the first person who called to us. He then took us to see arches and sea lions etc and dropped us off at the beach that has the resorts. We told him what time we wanted to be picked up and he came back for us. It was my kids' favorite day of the cruise!

Do you happen to remember the name of the boat tour company you used, and how much they charged? Thanks!

Do you happen to remember the name of the boat tour company you used, and how much they charged? Thanks!

There are not any specific companies. All of the water taxis are indepentantly owned by the captains. There are lots and lots of them so walking down the marina a bit away from the tender dock will allow you to negociate better.

When I went to Cabo 3 wks ago, we did the glass bottom boat tour which is basically the water taxi. They took us around the bay and showed us the rocks and etc. then they dropped us off at lovers beach and it was kinda hard to get off. I am fit in my 20s and i fell into the water getting out of the water taxi because of the wave. one of the guys that we were traveling with had a really hard time getting back into the water taxi because he had a bad shoulder. so if you have limited mobility, i'd probably reconsider. you can still ask them to just take you out on a tour but not physically get off at lover's beach.

We walked to Medano because one of the ladies had a bad shoulder, and it was a long trek for old people. To get back, we asked a water taxi operator if she could manage to get in. He and a couple of other guys beached the front of the boat and sat on one side to tilt it so she could sit on the side and swing her legs over. It worked like a charm !!!! Those guys are pretty good at making things work !!!

We were in Cabo last Wed 3/23 and took a glass bottom boat tour I would not recommend getting off the boat if you have limited mobility. Two people in our group got totally wet getting off at Medano Beach as they fell, they were NOT hurt but got wet. It seemed to depend on how choppy the water was. When they picked us up at 1:00 it was easy to get on the boat but around 12:00 I was watching people trying to get on the boat and they had a hard time because of the rough surf.

We hope to be on the Sapphire a week from today.

I have read quite a bit about the "water taxi's, etc. We do want to see The Arch, etc., as well as go to Medano Beach. My question, you said we could take a "regular taxi?" If we took a regular taxi, where do we pick/get it? I "assume" the water taxi's would be on the water as we see them, right? Do we negoiate on a price if we get a regular taxi to take us to see The Arch, etc. and drop us off for a few hours at Medano Beach, and then pick us up?

What I'm trying to say is there are two of us and we would like to see The Arch, Lovers Beach and then be dropped off at Medano Beach for a few hours, and have the SAME taxi pick us back up. Can that be done, and if so, what would the cost be in $'s?

I have read quite a bit about the "water taxi's, etc. We do want to see The Arch, etc., as well as go to Medano Beach. My question, you said we could take a "regular taxi?" If we took a regular taxi, where do we pick/get it? I "assume" the water taxi's would be on the water as we see them, right? Do we negoiate on a price if we get a regular taxi to take us to see The Arch, etc. and drop us off for a few hours at Medano Beach, and then pick us up?

What I'm trying to say is there are two of us and we would like to see The Arch, Lovers Beach and then be dropped off at Medano Beach for a few hours, and have the SAME taxi pick us back up. Can that be done, and if so, what would the cost be in $'s?

You can't get to the arch by regular taxi. You can take a water taxi out there and come back to the dock, then get a regular taxi to Medano. If you don't mind getting off and possibly getting wet, the water taxi is the way to go to Medano. I recommend sitting on the deck near the front of the boat and swinging you legs over, then boost yourself up and out. If someone is already out, they can give you some support to keep from losing your balance. It is a good idea to take a big waterproof bag to keep your camera and wallet, etc from getting wet.

When you exit the tender dock, there will be several guys there selling water taxi trips and tours, so you can say "NO" and keep walking until you get your price.

You can arrange the whole deal with a boat operator and agree on a price. However, there are usually several water taxis at Medano, so the best way to do it is pay the guy who takes you to the arch and Medano, then get another to bring you back when you decide to leave. The cost is usually around three dollars per person. The trip to the arch and Medano will probably be around ten dollars or less per person.

You'll want to see the Arches, and the only way to do that is via water taxi. We've found that if you walk down the Marina several hundred yards (past the dolphin swim and Captain Tony's) you will find Pangas (water taxis) on the private docks. Although they might be a dollar or two more expensive, they are much easier to board and disembark from.

For Medano Beach, if you have much mobility issues, I would suggest just taking a land taxi.

A land taxi to Medano beach should run you about $6-10 for 2, one way.

Whether you use water taxis or land taxis, make certain what they charge before you get in! You should be able to bargain on both.

OK, so is a Pangas the SAME thing as as water taxi? Are all the water taxi's the same, or are some better to ride/get in than others? I know it was mentioned to pass the dolphin swim and Captain Tony's, so are the taxi's better once you pass that area?

OK, so is a Pangas the SAME thing as as water taxi? Are all the water taxi's the same, or are some better to ride/get in than others? I know it was mentioned to pass the dolphin swim and Captain Tony's, so are the taxi's better once you pass that area?

Yes, a panga and a water taxi are the same. They are all pretty much the same except for 1 or 2 out of about 50 that have ladders. If you walk further down the pier, the boats themselves won't be better but you may get a better price.

• 2 weeks later...

The boats are pretty much the same, however, some of the boats embark and disembark on the public docks which can be 2 or 3 feet higher than the bow of the boat! (Awfully hard on an old man's knees!)

If you use a taxi that leaves from the private docks, the dock is pretty much level with the bottom of the boat, so that it is much easer to board.

Those boats that use the private docks pay a premium to dock there, so the price might be a bit higher, but not much....in arguement against that, the hoards of passengers that disembark from the cruise lines often tend to jump on the first water taxi that they find, so those captains further down the Marina on the private docks might be more apt to "bargain" on their price.

Even if the cost is the same, after the tour, Captain Tony's is our favorite place to stop and sip a cold beverage, and simply watch the people, and can be much less crowded than some of the Cantina's closer to the Cruise Docks.

We did take the water taxi, but that was our "last" resort, as we were going to do a tour, but that fizzle out.:(

As some of you know, about every 4 feet, there is someone wanting you to take a ride on their water taxi. We finally decided to take one, and the price was very reasonable. He took us to Medano Beach, which is very nice. Getting out of the boat was much easier than getting back in. I will say "some" of the water taxi's have a small ladder you can climb, and that really helps, especially if you are out in the watera little ways. The water isn't real deep at the edge of the beach, but when I got in, I had sandles on, and did not step in water, but got a lot of sand in my shoes.

On the beach there will be a lot of people that want to sell you their wares. If you are not interested, just tell them no thank you, and they leave. We did bargain for some nice jewelry.

Archived