Just Back Off Oceana!

C at Sea

Just returned on Tuesday from Caribbean on Oceana. Thought would share couple of things!

Weather beautiful despite the forecasts on 10day weather sites beforehand!

Captain - a very dishy Italian! We ladies very much looked forward to his announcements in that sexy Italian accent.

Ports of call - mostly interesting but felt that Costa Maya was a nothingness unless you took a long trip to the Mayan ruins.

Cozumel much better and Mayan ruins fairly near at San Gervaso. They were having their Mardi Gras and the "Italian Stallion" let us stay til 10pm so we could watch the processions!,

Jamaica - took trip to Dunnes Falls which I'm glad I've seen but wouldnt want to go again. Very crowded and as you come out through the souvenir stalls you are very much harrassed. It was quite intimidating.

Ship- I like Oceana - been on her a few times, but have to say she is looking tired. She is due a refurb, and not a moment too soon really. There were buckets catching water leaks in public rooms, some of the starlights in Starlights were not working! It was all looking a bit tatty!

Service - still good. Food - Still good but not as good as previous cruises and not as good as the Princess cruise we had in September. Last year they had extra veg or chips with lunch in Cafe Jardin but none this year.

Prices - definitely gone up. The extra charge for Cafe Jardin dinner had gone up a great deal.

Cabin - had a balcony for the first time as we dont have to pay for our daughter anymore! We enjoyed having one and can definitely see the advantage on a hot weather cruise! Felt the cabin seemed much smaller than the inside or outside ones we'v had before which surprised me but suppose you pay for the balcony.

All in all had a great time and had lovely table companions who were good company for the fortnight!

We are on Oceana in three weeks and mum and dad board her in four weeks for their first ever cruise. I'm disappointed to hear about buckets catching leaks, fingers crossed they get it fixed before we board! This will be our first experience of P&O and I don't want us to be put off!

Hi

Glad to hear that you had a great holiday, sorry to hear the Oceana is looking so tired, I went on her in '05 and absolutely loved her. Is she due for a re-fit or are they selling her on?

Gillian x

I don't think she is being sold for a while yet since the brochures list cruises for her until early 2013. Hopefully she will get a refit fairly soon.

C at Sea - would you like to post your review on the Review section of CC as it may help other cruisers.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/reviews/

Oceana not being sold yet but is having a refit soon apparently.

The buckets catching the leaks didnt stop me either, after all, as I've said before, I sailed on Canberra in her last years with parts dropping off her as we went along! Didnt put me off as I'm still cruising 16 yrs later!

Just unusual to see such things nowadays when everything has become state of the art and swish!

This was just a quick few obs for the board. Can write a more detailed review if I have time!

Enjoy your time on Oceana! You'l have a great hol - buckets or no buckets!

I think it will be the first time we have been on an older ship as we have currently been on very new ones (including a prize winning preview cruise on the Allure!) so we need to remember that in order to look at P&O fairly.

Cruiseanywhere2 we will definitely post a review. 3 weeks to go...I can't wait!

Jo and Rob

We will post a review as well, but not much use to you as we disembark as you embark!! We have cruised on Airtours, Thomson, OV and on Oriana so I will be interested to see how P and O compare with your previous cruises. Hope the weather is kind to all of us, I can't see sunbed wars on our first day at sea across the Bay of Biscay :)

Christine and Steve

C at Sea, did they have egg benedict for breakfast? I love it and have my fingers (and toes!) crossed that it does. I have read it is available on the big ships so I'm hoping. ;)

Also, can you tell me what was available in terms of day time entertainment onboard? Were there any craft sessions? Food demonstrations?

What were your faviourite activities?

thanks

C at Sea, did they have egg benedict for breakfast? I love it and have my fingers (and toes!) crossed that it does. I have read it is available on the big ships so I'm hoping. ;)

Also, can you tell me what was available in terms of day time entertainment onboard? Were there any craft sessions? Food demonstrations?

What were your faviourite activities?

thanks

I think monday is egg benedict day.

Jo & Rob

Don't worry - I was on the same cruise as C at Sea and as she says the very few buckets were not a problem at all and were very soon sorted. It was my first cruise and everything was FANTASTIC. The captain was wonderful as noted on the final sail away with Ventura in port ( we had a much better party !!) and he was standing next to me during the comedian's act and took the jokes about himself in very good humour.

I loved the Oceana and her friendly atmosphere - I only noticed a few cosmetic problems which didn't detract from the holiday at all. I am sure you will have a wonderful time. Entertainment was very good and we enjoyed every show and yes I am sure egg benedict was on offer in Cafe Jardin - I became addicted to the eggy bread in there.

Jo & Rob

I am sure egg benedict was on offer in Cafe Jardin - I became addicted to the eggy bread in there.

So do we have to go to cafe jardin to get it or will it be in the MDR as well? Or do you mean that you can get it every day at cafe jardin? It is not on the copy of the menu that I have for the restaurant but that may well be out of date (got it online)

All the usual daytime activities were available - sports, quizes, port talks, interest talks etc.

Not sure about the Eggs Benedict position cos dont eat it so never really noticed! Have to agree about the "eggy bread" or French Toast to give it its correct title! It was delicious and something you could easily get hooked on! Your Cafe Jardin menu might be the Marco Pierre White menu for evenings? Think menu for breakfast and lunch in Cafe Jardin changes once a week. I always like having my lunch in there. My family tease me cos I once said "its much more civilised" and they quote it at me every time I suggest going there for lunch! For some reason though my favourite is Cafe Bordeaux on Aurora!

Now I'm getting really excited, only 6 more sleeps. Jo and Rob if I get a chance I may put something on the PandO forum while I'm on board. Last day in work tomorrow and then I'll have to start thinking about packing. It will be great not to have to worry about how much luggage I'm taking, but I will weigh my cases as I do not want to damage any of the porters :)

Now I'm getting really excited, only 6 more sleeps. Jo and Rob if I get a chance I may put something on the PandO forum while I'm on board. Last day in work tomorrow and then I'll have to start thinking about packing. It will be great not to have to worry about how much luggage I'm taking, but I will weigh my cases as I do not want to damage any of the porters :)

If you look at the holiday information that P&O sent you it states that suitcases must not exceed 23kg. I have never come across weight restrictions before on a cruise only holiday!

I do hope you can a chance to post something whilst on board, I will certainly look out for it! I can believe you haven't started packing. Where is your cruise going? Someone hot?

We are going to the Canry Islands so hopefully will be hot. I always pack last minute but have got some things ready as they were put away ready for our holiday to Kenya but I fell on the ice and broke my leg the day before :confused:

Steve's got his tux ready and my posh frocks have been cleaned, so I'm not quite as dis-organised as I seem.

It's different for you Jo as you've got little ones to organise, I bet they are excited!

If you look at the holiday information that P&O sent you it states that suitcases must not exceed 23kg. I have never come across weight restrictions before on a cruise only holiday!

I think that the comment was made in jest.

There isn't a weight restriction when sailing from Southampton - if you read the info in the brochure it clearly states that you can take as many bags as you can fit in your cabin but each bag musn't exceed 23kgs - remember some poor devil has to deliver them to your door (Health & Safety)

Yes I was joking, that's why I will be weighing each case to makesure I won't be over the 23K not sure how many cases we will be taking:) Inall seriousness it will probably be 2 medium and 1 small we don't have that big a car!

Don't forget you have the back seat as well as the boot!

Archived