OK. Lanyard. I know it may be convenient

valtandc

I understand wearing a laynard for work and croc's for work tho there are far better work shoes than those. I get wearing a logo shirt for work.

I don't get it for vacay or and other time. I understand people want comfert but there are plenty of styles that fit right and look good with out being baggy or sloppy.

I just think croc's and fannypack, big teeshirts are just very unflatering.

I also feel that way about polo shirt to.

But your right its your vacay so wear what you want.

If you are happy looking that way then go for it!

Just so I never take the chance of offending you the way I am dressed would it be possible to get a list of acceptable dress from you?

I have thought long and hard about how I wanted to respond to this. Its hard to not come across as rude. I think my first thought is that People who say stuff like this are covering up some inadequacy of their own. But I don’t want to make general assumptions about someone I have never met, which by the way, is what this OP has done. She has assumed that those who chose to wear a lanyard with the S & S card in view (like it’s something to be ashamed of) are trashy, without class, and evidently have no clue on how to dress…all this from one who finds it perfectly acceptable to laugh and snicker at those who they find lacking in some manner.

Let me address your posting in this manner. Bit by Bit.

I do wear a lanyard, however, I have yet to decorate my cabin door. Never felt the need to, however, if I chose to do it…it would be NONE of your business. If you don’t like looking at the decorated doors on the cabins, you have 2 options. 1) Don’t Look and 2) Go the other way. I am sorry that you find decorated doors so offensive. I saw one on the Liberty that made me cry. It was done by the wife/family of a soldier who was serving in Iraq. He was home on leave and they went on a cruise. His family had decorated the cabin door welcoming their hero home. I did the same thing when my husband came home from Iraq. I decorated my door at home, I suppose you would find that trashy also.

Yes I find carrying a purse on the ship a burden..since I know I will most likely misplace it. So that’s why I opt to have the Lanyard. My suggestion to you if you don’t like to look at those folks who wear one in this manner to use the suggestions I mentioned above. I find they work quite well for me, when I see things that I find offensive. As I mentioned in another post, I lived in Europe for nearly 10 years, granted I moved back to the states in 2001 but I never noticed the entire time I lived, worked or traveled there that I ever saw one person there who made fun or laughed at me or anyone else that was different from them. For the most part, every German I met was more than willing to help me, even when I butchered their language. I had the same experiences in France, Austria, Poland, Switzerland and Luxembourg…yes even the French treated me quite well. I did dress and act accordingly since we as military dependants are told that we are potential targets. Which is why I usually traveled by train instead of taking my USAREUR (US Army Europe) plated vehicle – which I felt had a very large target on it…thankfully in 1999 or thereabouts the military started issuing plates that more closely resembled the European ones. So I do know how to behave and dress in a foreign country as well as in my own.

Since I was raised with manners I do tend to not pig out at any restaurant – ship or shore. But I also don’t make comments about those who do, since that was also part of my upbringing. I don’t believe in political correctness, I think it’s a bunch of hogwash (as my grandpa would say), but I also don’t believe in hurting people’s feelings just because. I tend to let those who are different then me, be different. After all I know nothing about them, I don’t pay their bills, I don’t feel the need to point out their mistakes or make fun of them, to make me feel better about myself. I shop at stores that I can afford to. I don’t worry about what others think about where I shop. I had a friend who would never shop anywhere other than high end mall stores like Saks, Neiman Marcus, and one other I can’t recall. She would tell me that she would never shop at Target or Walmart or any such low class store. Well when the bottom fell out of the economy she lost her behind! So guess where she shops now? Yep…you guessed it…she shops at all the places that us lowly peons have been shopping and saving money at for years. She has even come to like Target. The moral of this story? It doesn’t matter where you shop or what you wear, what truly matters is what is in your heart.

I don’t save chairs (I could care less if someone else does – I try to not let small stuff stress me on vacation) or even sit close to the pool…for the most part I find it over chlorinated and it affects my asthma. So I usually can find a seat elsewhere without fuss. I don’t think I have worn a matching Tshirt or own a highlighter. I am not sure about the “live to find out what the food is each night” comment is about - I guess that is what a menu is for. And in my line of work where I am asked the same question over and over I have to pretend it’s the 1st time I am hearing it. But I then I remember that it is the 1st time this person is asking this question. So my question to you would be, why do you care how many times someone asks a question? I also don’t get my panties in a “wad” over smoking, I don’t care if someone lights up 10 cigarettes at one time, I know how to move away. I don’t feel the need to comment. And for the last one…well you yourself have commented on this and other threads so evidently you feel that you have something of value to add…so why do you feel the need to remark about others who feel they also may have something of value to add to the discussion?

Very well said....Thank you

Archived