Some thoughts re Rhodes restaurants

bazzaw

I understand that P&O have announced that the Rhodes restaurants on Oriana and Arcadia are to be no more??

We have just finished an Australia to UK cruise on Oriana, returning on Arcadia. We went to both Rhodes restaurants and enjoyed them very much. After these 2 cruises we went on QM2 for just 7 days - and ate in Todd English once. WE "thought" that we enjoyed Rhodes better then TE.

However - on the 2 cruises I did hear quite a number of passengers say that they wouldn't go to Rhodes because "the food is the same as in the MDR". When I heard this I assured them that the food was very good - and it was obvious that more "tender loving care" had been put into it and it was served fresh straight from the hotplate ( very important for something like scallops, for example)

HOWEVER - I do see their point ,because in many respects the Rhodes food is very similar to that served in the MDR. I would call it "International Hotel food". This is quite different to the food (Asian fusion) served in the Orchid on Arcadia. Subsequently, I am wondering what kind of food is served in MPW restaurants?? International Hotel - or something distinctively different.

Barry

I We went to both Rhodes restaurants and enjoyed them very much. After these 2 cruises we went on QM2 for just 7 days - and ate in Todd English once. WE "thought" that we enjoyed Rhodes better then TE.

Barry

Agreed. We've eaten in Rhodes and Todd English half a dozen times - Rhodes is far superior; absolutely superb. However, the MDR on Arcadia is not in the same league as the MDR on any of Cunard ships. IMHO.

Mary

I understand that P&O have announced that the Rhodes restaurants on Oriana and Arcadia are to be no more??

You're right, they have. It's mainly wrapped up in the context of the Oriana refit, and that includes the info that Oriana Rhodes will be replaced by 'Ocean Grill', a Marco Pierre White restaurant. The press release also says that Ocean grill will "debut on board Adonia in May and also be added to Arcadia during refurbishment in late 2011". So it looks as if Ocean Grill is being launched as something of a general fine-dining brand onboard P&O ships.

In addition Oriana will also have a new Italian restaurant, 'Sorrento', up on Lido deck where Al Fresco is now.

I haven't received a 2012 brochure yet, but there's a scan of the deck plans for all the ships for 2012 on on this TA' website here. Click on the thumbnails to get larger ones.

Looking at the Ventura images, I see that the White Room remains named as such.

Ocean Grill doesn't sound so inviting does it? It makes me think of a pool deck burger grill. :(

In fact it's a fairly american term, isn't it? When used as a description of a (hopefully) good restaurant, that is.

In fact it's a fairly american term, isn't it? When used as a description of a (hopefully) good restaurant, that is.

The Savoy Grill?

The Grill at the Dorchester?

The Veranda Grill - RMS Queen Mary (1936)?

Seems like a great British heritage to me.

WD

The Savoy Grill?

The Grill at the Dorchester?

The Veranda Grill - RMS Queen Mary (1936)?

Haven't been to any of them - but have been to Hughie's Grill and Bar! :p:D

Barry

Nobody has commented on my use of "International Hotel food" . To me it seems to be the norm on all the cruiseships that we have been on - and all hotels. At least the food in the Orchid restaurant on Arcadia had a differentiation from that served in the MDR.

I was also very dissapointed in the so-called "famous P&O curries" on Oriana and Arcadia - and the fact that on shore tours in exotic places like Ho Chi Minh City, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, etc which included a lunch ( always in a 5 star hotel ) , the food served was "International hotel " with no ethnic food in sight . The P&O curries are a pale imitation of Indian food and obvious tamed right down for the British? pallate. Very disappointing! I would love to have a Dollar for everytime I heard a Brit say "OooH I can't eat Chilli!" - we could do another cruise on the proceeds. :D

Barry

Well I don't agree with the comments you heard that Arcadian or Oriana Rhodes is similar to the MDR!

No way. The MDR caters for 500 diners at a time, on each restaurant level, the AR and OR service serves around 50 - 60 diners at any time and all cooked obviously fresh to order, with much better waiter service, more personal and attentive. The food quality and menu is better too, It is English food with a twist but not comparable with the MDR .

Librlassie

I did not make the statement that the food in Rhodes is "the same as the MDR". Others did this - and I pointed out to them that this was not true.

However, I do say that perhaps I can see where they are coming from. The food in Rhodes IS "similar" or "the same"( different usage of the English language) in that the style of food is "similar" or "the same" . This style being what I would call "International hotel" . If Rhodes served only Greek food, or Japanese food, or

Sea food or ....... ( fill in the gap), then one could say that the food is different to that served in the MDR, regardless of how well or bad it is cooked.

We thoroughly enjoyed our 2 visits to Rhodes - but in future would probably like a greater differentiation in the type of food served in these "addon" restaurants, other than just how well it is cooked and served. The same thought applies to Cunard QM2.

Barry

Archived