Advice Needed/Packing for Alaska cruise

SantaAna,CA

I'm going to Alaska in August on the Amsterdam for a week. I'll be going on several shore excursions. I would appreciate advice on what clothes to bring both for onboard and on shore. Gloves? Hat? Parka? Do I need several pairs of sneakers, do they get wet? Can you sit out on your balcony in the morning for breakfast or is it freezing out there? I think I'm okay on the formal clothes...it's just the rest of the stuff I need help with. Thanks for any and all tips! Also, do they have robes/hairdryers/slippers in the "S" suites?

P.S. What did you take that you could have left home...what did you not bring you wish you had?

Thanks, Jane :)

I can only partially answer your questions because I have never experienced an "S" suite. However, we cruised Alaska last May via the Amsterdam and it was a wonderful vacation.

I would advise gloves and either a hat or hooded jacket. I wore a lightly lined, hooded waterproof rain jacket - more for spring than winter - and it was sufficient. Layers are always the best idea. You may pack a bit more that way, but it's easier to adapt to the changing weather.

For example, at the Mendenhall Glacier, the weather was sunny and moderate. In Juneau, just a few miles away, it was raining and cold. Both locales were visited on the same day.

The day we cruised Glacier Bay, we wore layers on the ship but it wasn't very cold. You will be in Alaska 3 months later in the season, so your temperatures should be more moderate.

In my opinion, a parka would be too heavy. Keep in mind, though, it's likely to be windy on deck.

My feet did not get wet, but I packed different pairs of shoes for walking/touring so my feet didn't get too tired from day to day. That's just what I have always done.

Oh yes, you do not need robes - they are provided. Slippers are not. There are hair dryers, but I brought my own. I'd read on these boards that the ones on the ship weren't great and found that to be true.

Also, make sure you pack an extension cord or a 3-plug adapter or power strip. There is only one outlet in the room. No clocks in the rooms either.

I hope some of this information is of use to you; and I trust you have an amazing vacation. You will adore Alaska and the ms Amsterdam.

Val

The weather in Alaska in August will be similar to San Francisco or Seattle in August (unless you're headed to the top of a mountain, or north to Fairbanks. That'll be colder!).

Sweaters, rain jackets maybe a scarf will be more important than parkas and boots. You should probably count on getting wet, then be pleasantly surprised if you don't (much better than the other way around!)

:) -dave

We went the end of August and did need a hat, gloves and rainproof jacket. The morning in Skagway started off quite cool, but by the time we were getting ready to take the White Pass Rail excursion it was very warm so I wore a pair of light cotton pants, golf shirt and carried a light cotton sweater.

Umbrellas are provided for paxs in S Suites, also binoculars. I think you will find more than one outlet in the Suites. I know there is one in the dressing room and probably another one in the cabin area. Someone who has been in a Suite can help you with this.

Have a great time - you will love it.

I wish I had taken gloves! I had them on my list of things to take but forgot them. Bought some cheapies in Juneau that I still have.

I also wish I had invested the money in a better pair of binoculars. Cruising Glacier Bay would have been even more spectacular if I could have seen far enough to spy the wildlife on the banks. Folks around me spotted bears and such that my little binoculars never could find.

One thing I always take is a bunch of baggies. They come in handy for a lot of different things, like putting the cookies from the ice cream bar in to eat for later. :D

I also always (on any trip) take earplugs. They are great for blocking out whatever - including noisy people/children on airplanes and noisy hallways.

I recommend layering. I usually wear a light, hooded waterproof jacket with a sweater on underneath. If the temps warm up, you can take off one or the other.

The Amsterdam is great; you'll love her. Alaska is phenomenal! Have a great cruise!

Actually, if you are heading into the interior, it will be much warmer there. When we were in Alaska, the warmest weather by far was up in Denali National Park.

You definitely want to have a jacket, and maybe even gloves. I did need mine on a glacier cruise near Seward and that was in June

Correct on the above- it is WARMER interior Alaska compared to the Inside Passage. But- you need to be well prepared in your attire- my list. Lightweight lined QUICK DRYING jacket, layers of clothing, knit hat, gloves, rain gear, 2 pair of walking shoes, lined and unlined wind pants, leggins. AGAIN key is quick drying- reason I don't take jeans- too bulky too. I also always do laundry in Skagway- cuts way down on bulk. :)

Archived