Independence of the seas family of 4 prices!

dj_spud

I don't understand how this ship sells out every year. When i get a quote for a family of 4 during school holidays it's coming up £6k plus just for an inside in july (£9k for balc). I understand school holidays are more expensive but find this ridiculous when you compare it to Ventura,Grand and Azura.

Ive never sailed on IOTS and with rumours that she may be leaving the UK i would like to give her a try.

I'm just after thoughts from other familys who have or are wanting to sail on her re prices? Am i missing something :confused:

Many thanks in advance John

I know what you mean:(.

I'd love to go on IOTS again, but the prices - particularly for the summer school holiday period - seem to be way higher than similar Med cruises from Southampton on P&O, Princess and even Celebrity Eclipse.

We went on Independence in April 2010 (8-night Caribbean) and had an absolutely amazing time, but I'm not sure if RCI is that much better than the cruise lines we've already mentioned, as I haven't got much cruising experience under my belt (yet!).

I'm sure some more knowledgable folk will be along soon to give a better perspective than I can:).

I'm not from the UK, but was reading your posts....are you trying to book directly through the cruise line or are you talking to TA's? When we book our cruises...not sure if it matters but we are in the US....we usually get quotes through *************.com and the prices are way better usually than what the cruise line will give. Also, you can usually get obc with the booking which helps out a lot....hope this helps....

I don't understand how this ship sells out every year. When i get a quote for a family of 4 during school holidays it's coming up £6k plus just for an inside in july (£9k for balc). I understand school holidays are more expensive but find this ridiculous when you compare it to Ventura,Grand and Azura.

Ive never sailed on IOTS and with rumours that she may be leaving the UK i would like to give her a try.

I'm just after thoughts from other familys who have or are wanting to sail on her re prices? Am i missing something :confused:

Many thanks in advance John

I checked 23 July 2011

I thnk the problem is that the 4berth cabins are close to sold out so the 3-4pax prices are very high nearly the same as 1-2pax £1500+

Think you might have left it too late.

Thanks for your replys guys!

I was looking direct with RCCL. Also i was looking for 2012. What i tend to do is get an idea of the cruise i wana do, Get a guild price then shop around and see what the best price i can get. Anyone think im going about this wrong?

Everytime i get a price on IOTS i can always find a simlar cruise with P&O / Princess for about a grand less. Now that is alot of money to me as i am sure it is to everyone els. I find it is the child prices that pushes the price out of our limit!

Has a UK cruiser here booked through a US T/A for a cruise leaving the UK? Just woundring if you got a good deal and was it easy to do?

Thanks again John

Thanks for your replys guys!

I was looking direct with RCCL. Also i was looking for 2012. What i tend to do is get an idea of the cruise i wana do, Get a guild price then shop around and see what the best price i can get. Anyone think im going about this wrong?

Everytime i get a price on IOTS i can always find a simlar cruise with P&O / Princess for about a grand less. Now that is alot of money to me as i am sure it is to everyone els. I find it is the child prices that pushes the price out of our limit!

Has a UK cruiser here booked through a US T/A for a cruise leaving the UK? Just woundring if you got a good deal and was it easy to do?

Thanks again John

Hi John :D

When you look at RCCL prices...do you do it online or brochure or call them?

I ask this because online and brochure wont show the sailings with any discounts...like Early Booking Offer etc. There is also a 5% discount for booking online which I dont think shows up until later on in the actual reservation price.

It is usually hard for a US TA to beat the prices offered for a cruise leaving from the UK because of things like the Early Booking Discount...and things like free parking at Southampton and cheap regional flights.

Hi Liz

Ive been looking online! :o

To be honest i think i will have to be looking out of the school holidays to sail on this ship.

I do still think she is alot more expensive than other ships sailing out of southampton. Is she worth the extra money?

Hi Liz

To be honest i think i will have to be looking out of the school holidays to sail on this ship.

I do still think she is alot more expensive than other ships sailing out of southampton. Is she worth the extra money?

Hi John

I have only sailed with Royal Caribbean so it would be wrong of me to say one is better than the other...but..the Independence is a fabulous ship.

I guess the best way to compare the ships is look at what they offer for your family...have a pros & cons list maybe?

Maybe the fact the Indy has a separate pool area for kids..will swing it for you...or the Flowrider...or the Ice Rink...the entertainment...the Kids clubs...the different places to eat onboard. What do other cruiselines/ships offer in comparison?

The Indy will be sailing from Southampton until at least November 2012.

Hi Liz

Suprised 2012 is the same high pricing, but looks ike they are.

This winter the Xmas NY cruise was cheaper than these prices so you could still try for a school holidays just not so warm:cool:

Thanks everyone!!

I will be popping into the T/A on the weekend, If they can find me a good deal i will book. If not it will be back to P&O or Princess, Although i don't want to be local to a cruise line, Wel not just yet theres so many other ships to try :D

John!

I agree the prices are through the roof. We have sailed on Indy a few times and would love to do another 14 night Med but have had to settle for an 11 night canaries (which is still lovely of course not complaining!) as the prices for July/Aug are so high.

I think they are able to charge this amount because us Brits just love to be able to cruise without having to get on an aircraft (especially in the recent years with snow/ash etc its all too much grief!)

I think they will have to come down a bit though as surely they wont fill it (having said that I thought that last year, and it was still fully booked at silly prices!!:confused:)

Happy cruising :)

I agree the prices are through the roof. We have sailed on Indy a few times and would love to do another 14 night Med but have had to settle for an 11 night canaries (which is still lovely of course not complaining!) as the prices for July/Aug are so high.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing next year.

For example, a 14-night on Indy in August for myself and two teenagers (Cat G cabin) is a staggering £5600. A Canaries 11-nighter in March for the same cabin grade is approx £3000.

For me, it's a complete no-brainer! For the difference of 2.6K I could take another cruise:D, eg, a nice 7-nighter on P&O in the summer hols...... better start saving :eek::cool:

I agree about supply and demand, it seems that everyone loves the Independence!

We have just come back from an 11-night cruise to the canaries on IOTS and she was lovely. We took our daughter out of school (aged 7) which I know some people frown upon, but it is a personal choice. The cruise for the 3 of us cost £2069 including prepaid grats, which I think is very good value for money. I fully agree that the summer prices are really high, and I wouldn't personally pay that much, but our cruise was lovely and we had some fantastic weather too.

We have just come back from an 11-night cruise to the canaries on IOTS and she was lovely. We took our daughter out of school (aged 7) which I know some people frown upon, but it is a personal choice. The cruise for the 3 of us cost £2069 including prepaid grats, which I think is very good value for money. I fully agree that the summer prices are really high, and I wouldn't personally pay that much, but our cruise was lovely and we had some fantastic weather too.

Welcome home ..I would love to hear more on your first cruise...perhaps you could do a review for us ? :D

Had a big look into this over the weekend. Looks like my best bet is the canary islands like some of you have said. School holidays are still way to expensive for me, I don't mind pulling kids out of school just prefer not to.

Am i going to book??? Hmm not just yet sadly, Finishing off some house renovations then i will look into it again. Any one think she will still be here in 2013? Not that i plan to leave it that long, but could be a back up plan.

Thanks again for your replys! John :)

hi we are new to cruise this year going in may - we booked our cruise last april with a travel agent and have paid £2900 for two adults two children age 8 and 4 in a inside basic cabin - we are going one week in school and one week in half term - travel 28th may!

hi we are new to cruise this year going in may - we booked our cruise last april with a travel agent and have paid £2900 for two adults two children age 8 and 4 in a inside basic cabin - we are going one week in school and one week in half term - travel 28th may!

That seems like a pretty good deal for 2 weeks with half of it during half term. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

I forgot to say in my post that our price was for an outside cabin with window (no balcony).

John, You have to treat yourself and the family to this.

We got back from the Canaries cruise on Friday and it was nothing short of fantastic!

We paid just over 3k for a Balcony cabin for the 3 of us, the cost for my 10 year old son was about £180.00 which was remarkable as he must have eaten that amount in fresh cookies alone :D

Kids love this ship, there is just so much to do, my boy's boredom threshold is very low but I didn't hear the words "I'm Bored" once!

Like another poster this was our first cruise so we don't have anything to compare it too however, if there are better ships I would be amazed.

The only bad part of this cruise was having to get off and get back to reality:(

I could go on and on and on but I won't, just do it!

John, You have to treat yourself and the family to this.

We got back from the Canaries cruise on Friday and it was nothing short of fantastic!

We paid just over 3k for a Balcony cabin for the 3 of us, the cost for my 10 year old son was about £180.00 which was remarkable as he must have eaten that amount in fresh cookies alone :D

Kids love this ship, there is just so much to do, my boy's boredom threshold is very low but I didn't hear the words "I'm Bored" once!

Like another poster this was our first cruise so we don't have anything to compare it too however, if there are better ships I would be amazed.

The only bad part of this cruise was having to get off and get back to reality:(

I could go on and on and on but I won't, just do it!

Glad to hear you had a great time! Thats the thing with this ship i never read mix reveiws there all great.

Funny you should say i should book because i've seen some very good prices for a 10 night cruise in apr 2012, Also in a balcony! Popping the T/A'S on wednesday to get some more details.

I understand that it's £150 pp deposit with RCCL does this include kids?

Glad to hear you had a great time! Thats the thing with this ship i never read mix reveiws there all great.

Funny you should say i should book because i've seen some very good prices for a 10 night cruise in apr 2012, Also in a balcony! Popping the T/A'S on wednesday to get some more details.

I understand that it's £150 pp deposit with RCCL does this include kids?

I don't know about the deposit I am afraid, we booked in Jan 2011 so I had to pay the full amount on booking. The balcony was worth the extra for us, watching the sunrise on the way south and the sunset on the the way back was (for us,an unexpeced bonus), we were lucky with the weather and were sunbathing on the balcony at 9am on day 2 in the bay of biscay in March! I hope you can find a deal that work's for you because I can't think of a better way to recharge the batteries. I am in danger of rambling yet again but I would wager that you would not regret it.

I read a few mixed reviews before departing and expected to be royaly ripped off for drinks and be standing in line for everything. If you think that £3.50 for a triple measure of HOUSE Gin & Tonic and waiting 40 seconds for a table in a full ship is bad then this ship is not for you. The show piece activities like the climbing wall and the flowrider had a maximum of a 20 minute wait and the pools had ample seating, the shows allways had seats and ice skating in the atlantic was great fun. There were 4,000 paying guest's on board but it felt like a small village on carnival day.

If you go on this ship and don't enjoy it, please tell me about the ships you have been on and enjoyed, because if it get's better than this I can't wait to book them.

Jase

We too love the Indy!!

My husband and I have just been on a little 2 night cruise with P&O on Ventura (without the kids) just to have a little taster of a different line and have to say Royal beats them in every way.

If you have children there is so much more to do on the Indy and just about everything is better. Better layout, flowrider, rock climbing wall, ice skating rink, royal promenade, sprinkles ice cream, size of sports court, happy/friendly staff I could go on and on.

Not saying that Ventura was really bad, it has just convinced that we have so made the right choice with RCI.

We too have booked to go on the Indy next April (half in Easter hols) and the prices at the moment are definitely affordable.

Happy Cruising and well done Royal Caribbean. We love you!! :)

We're going on our third Indy cruise in July. Unfortunately, due to my job we are confined to school holidays and for me, DH, DD (who is 13 but for whom we have to pay an adult fare) and DS (5 years old - we're paying a kid's price for him) the total with gratuities comes to just under £5600. I've already advised the kids that this will be the last cruise for a LONG time. We love the ship, she's great and there are loads of things for the kids to do. I've only ever cruised with RC and they have everything we want, so I'd rather not cruise for a couple (or more!) years than risk another cruise line and be disappointed. We'll be camping in France next year!

Hi all

I have just transferred my September booking to June 2012 and it is costing £5250 for the 4 of us in E1 balcony cabin including gratuities.

This is after the 5% discount from RCI and a 6% discount from my TA.

Wow looking at it written down it is an awful lot of money when you consider that you will also have onboard spending, excursions and spending money to factor into the final costings.

Think i might need to get a second job!!!

Vickie

BTW the deposit is £150 per person, I think this is just charged to the main 2 people in the room but I am not sure.

Archived