Info about Navigator on the Seas Ship

April 9th will be my first time traveling on the Navigator of the Seas ship and my first time traveling with Royal Carribean. I keep reading different things about the drinks and other things.

Can someone clarify what is included and what is not included on this particular ship?

Can I bring my own alcoholic beverages, water, and non alcoholic beverages on the ship?

Is coffee, tea, and fruit juices included on this ship or do you have to purchase a drinking package?

Besides the excursions, spa, and specialty dining are there any other hidden costs?

We are taking the Eastern Carribean cruise out of Miami to San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Martin, Nassau. Do any of you have any pointers about great and not so great ports? I like to explore on my own. Are there ports that are not safe to explore on your own? What advice can you give me about exploring on my own? Also has anyone tried the nude beaches in St. Martin?:rolleyes:

I will truly appreciate your responses

Coffee, tea, juice and milk are free. Soda is considered a bar drink and carries a charge as does all alcohol. You are not supposed to bring your own alcohol on the ship. If you purchase alcohol in a port or in the ships store they will hold it for you and deliver it to you the last night of the cruise. If you purchase a bottle on board you can pay an additional corkage fee of about $10 to take the bottle back to your cabin.

The ports you mention are all relatively safe. Just exercise normal caution as there is no real paradise.

I have yet to sail on RCCL, but I've done a ton of reading on these boards and others. The juices are free at the restaurants, but are charged for at the bars. The charge for a soda card(sticker on sea pass) is $6 per day for adults 18 and over and $4 per day for kids 17 and under. You pay for all the days on your cruise no matter when you buy it, so buy the first day if you're going to get one. Oh yeah, that does not include the 15% gratuity that they add for them. These drink cards include all juices anywhere also. They do NOT include the canned soda's available onboard. As far as the alcohol is concerned, they do not ALLOW you to bring them, but with a little inginuity, I'm sure I can figure something out. I've read that they do allow you to bring soda/water onboard. I'm just going to put some in my baggage so that I have some in the room whenever I want some. I read that someone just checked a case of soda with their luggage and had no problems. They have a couple of specialty restaurants that charge $25 p.p. which includes tip. Johnny Rockets also charges $3.95 p.p. and an additional $3.95 for their famous milk-shakes. There is also a Ben and Jerry's that charges a fee for their goods.(but there is free soft serve frozen yogurt available anytime). Other than the gameroom and of course the tips ($9.75 per day/per person) that should just about cover the "extras".

Hope this helps....

bamntem - We are also sailing on NOS on 4/9, come check out our roll call and meet some new friends!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=3206173#post3206173

We've brought a bit of "in-cabin" alcohol in our checked luggage on every cruise without any problems. We also bring some water and usually a liter of soda in our carry-on upon embarkation and then replenish at the ports of call.

As far as the ports go, to date we have never taken any of the ship's excursions. There is so much info on the internet, check out each island and decide what you'd like to do. You can hire a driver for all day or just a couple of hours and do it on your own, save a few bucks and see exactly what YOU want to see. If you are nervous about being back on board in time etc. to the point it will impair your enjoyment at the ports go ahead and book the ship's excursions. Everyone has a different level of what they feel comfortable with.

superjerryw hit the nail on the head, normal caution is exactly right. I leave most of my jewelry in the safe, take just enough cash in small bills for cab rides and small purchases, one credit card (a different one than I have down for my sign & sail) and the attitude that I'm in someone elses home. 99% of the locals we have dealt with are wonderful people, don't be afraid to get to know them. Most love sharing their islands, the history, personal stories (I'm sure some are truly stories but entertaining non the less) and their day with you.

We go to Orient Beach everytime we're in St. Maarten.

We just finished this same ship and itinerary 2 weeks ago and had a fantastic time!

DH and I did the BOB excursion in St. Thomas (booked through the ship) and thought it was the BEST excursion of all times!

Hope you have as much fun as we did! :D

We just spent our honeymoon on the NOS from 2/26 through 3/5. We also did BOB in St. Thomas and this was one the best experiences i ever had...fantastic...Captain Jim was a riot and the underwater tour was awesome.

I was also worried about drinks, but when on board noted that they were really no more expensive than bars in my area (Dallas). In fact, you can get a bucket of beer (buy 5 get one free) for only $15 (plus tip)...out at the sky bar by the pool...Collin (bartender) always served with a smile.

You can bring your own mug to fill up with ice-tea or juice (or other free beverages). The glasses they give you are usually on the small side so we always bring a mug with a cover and fill it up to take out to the pool with us.

Hello You Will Love Cruising It's The Greatest Yes You Can Take Soda On With You But No Booze. You Must Pay For All Booze, Any Shopping On Board,photo's (and They Take A Lot) But Only If You Want To Buy Them . And Your Tips And Land Exscursions. I Think That Is It. Juice Hot And Cold Tea' Coffee' Milk' And Water Are Free I Hope This Helps You Out Happy Sailing

IMHO based on twice in SJ. Take the ships excursion or travel in a group at night. Last time ship arrived in port at night thus little to see of island, took cab around island and stopped in town (touristy junk in shops) walking back to ship with family of 12 (including Ex Marine/SWAT member) We were still leary. Blatant drug dealing/usage & prostitution along walkway back by pier. Did not feel safe and was glad to be back on-board. I realize that this is not a true picture of San Juan and only based on limited experience of a few hours each time- but next time I won't even get off the ship

In St. Thomas take a cab to MAgen's Beach. Small admission fee (I think about $4). It is considered one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. We took a collapsible cooler with soda & water), but food and beverages are available there. We have also done the Sea Trekkin experience at Coral World. It is an underwater helmet dive just under the surface- Face doesn't get wet- I wear contacts -so this was awesome. No prior scuba or snorkle experience required-

In St, Martin the Americas Cup Sail race is a blast. How often can you say that you sailed a million dollar racing boat. (No sail experience required) but everyone has a job- working the grinders, or just being the cooler queen.

IMHO Shopping is better in St Martin. I've gotten great buys on jewelry

i.e. $3200 ring for $630 cash.Shop reputable jewelers only- i.e Joe's, Diamonds International, Tanzanite International, etc. Be prepared to haggle price and don't let them know you have a credit card with you. If they think you are going to walk out of the store with out buying they are more inclined to negotiate.

Have a great time!

Archived