Missing Disney crew member..

Capt. Johnny

Just wondering if anyone has heard some new facts or a conclusion about what happened (not guesses but something concrete maybe)? K

I was viewing the Cabo Live Cams today and saw a US Coast-Guard cutter at Cabo next to the Disney Wonder and Carnival Splendor. Perhaps they were doing post investigation work? It strikes me as odd to see a USCG cutter to be in Cabo -- I like to believe that it was for a specific reason.

I was viewing the Cabo Live Cams today and saw a US Coast-Guard cutter at Cabo next to the Disney Wonder and Carnival Splendor. Perhaps they were doing post investigation work? It strikes me as odd to see a USCG cutter to be in Cabo -- I like to believe that it was for a specific reason.

The US Coast Guard does training with several of the countries in and around the Carribean, and its not unusal for 1 to be there. My FIL was on a US Coast Guard cutter that spent time in Mexico for r and r during a normal patrol. They get time off, just like the cruise ships do, just not as often.

My family and I just returned from a Mexican Riviera cruise aboard the Disney Wonder. This was the cruise following the one where the crew member went missing. The crew did a remarkable job of maintaining business as usual. Everyone was very cordial and when asked about the missing person simply shook their heads and said they knew nothing and I believe them to be telling the truth. The cruise was wonderful.

Someone tosses an employee overboard after doing who knows what to her, and you are fine with no prosecution, no public acknowledgment of a crime having been committed, just let the company do whatever they feel serves their interests*, without telling anyone?

(re-post of previous, minus offensive expression at top, per message from admin, who should be glad that I didn't post what I originally thought :eek: )

*should probably have said "purposes" rather than "interests", but don't want to pretend that I said something different

No one on any board really knows the whole story on what happened. We were not there, and do not have acess to all of the info that DCL turned over to the Bahamamian police. To make an assumption at this point without any hard facts is irresponsible, and does nothing to help. If in fact someone did help her over the side, for what ever the reason, the Nassau police or even Disney may not say anything for a while until they can build a case against that person. Its not uncommon. If the FBI was asked for help early on, and their involvement is now over, and they are quoted as saying, Foul play does not appear to be a factor, Id be willing to go with no foul play. IE she didnt have help going over the side.

We were on that cruise, and my DH thinks he met her in the kids club on the first or second day. It was the second sea day when two urgent announcements were made, into the cabins as well, asking for her to report. She did not and the captain announced that they would be searching all areas, including guest cabins. I think there was one more announcement by the captain that she was not found and authorities had been notified. That was it for formal announcements. The crew was wonderful and did not let it show outwardly and made sure the guests enjoyed the cruise. We were not delayed or detained at all. I did see one news truck as we left the terminal, but we were on the Disney bus, so I think we bypassed a lot of that. I did not ask crew members about it, but some people did.

If the FBI was asked for help early on, and their involvement is now over, and they are quoted as saying, Foul play does not appear to be a factor, Id be willing to go with no foul play. IE she didnt have help going over the side.

The FBI was never involved in any aspect of investigating the disappearance. Right after the fact a CM was missing came out (while the Wonder was still out at sea) the L.A. office of the FBI announced -- in response to inquiries from the press -- that it would not be involved in the matter because it did not hold jurisdiction, due to foreign registry of the ship and the fact Rebecca went missing outside the U.S.

So your implied reference to the FBI "concluding there was no evidence of foul play" is wrong.

In reality, that "conclusion" was made by the Bahamas Royal Police - which according to the Coriam family sent just one - yes, ONE - officer to inspect the Wonder when it returned from the cruise. That ONE officer boarded the ship and was on it for just a few hours. Was that enough time for him to inspect evey relevant hour of security video? To carefully examine every area Rebecca had been in prior to her disappearance? To locate and interview every potential witness?

Yes, certainly. And while we're discussing this, I have a real deal on a bridge over here...

Bottom line: we DO know two things for certain:

- Rebecca Coriam is still missing with no explanation.

- There has yet to be a proper investigation into the matter.

This is from the Orlando Sentinel:

Disney Wonder Crew Member Missing

Posted: 3:04 pm EDT March 24, 2011Updated: 4:08 pm EDT March 24, 2011

LOS ANGELES -- A crew member of the Disney Wonder cruise ship is missing, Disney Cruiseline officials told WFTV on Thursday.

The Disney Wonder shipped out of Los Angeles for a seven-night Mexican Riviera cruise. The crew member did not report for a scheduled shift Tuesday morning.

Officials said the U.S. Coast Guard, Mexican Navy, the FBI, and the Bahamas Maritime Authority will conduct investigations.

Disney Cruiselines released this statement: “Given the circumstances we are very concerned about this situation and are doing everything possible to assist with the search effort and investigation. The Mexican Navy has been conducting searches since Tuesday, and we immediately contacted the FBI and the Bahamian Maritime Authority, which is leading the investigation on this matter. We have also conducted a thorough and comprehensive inspection of the ship and spoken with the crew member’s colleagues to gather as much information as possible.”

The name of the crew member has not been released.

This is from the LA Office:

Eimiller added that the FBI has heard no reports of criminal activity or foul play

I continue to be amazed at what some members of the general public believes they are entitled to know.

Well, I disagree. As a kid-friendly ship catering to the young families with lots of children, I feel that I have the right to know if someone was murdured or kidnapped, etc. I would think twice about sailing a cruise line with my kids where a youth conselor was hurt on purpose. There is a certain "right to know" in this case. I don't need all the details and understand the family's right o privacy but I do want to know if there was "foul play" or not.

As for the investigation, Ironclad, how do you know the Bahamas authority was only on the ship for 4 hours????? Where did this info come from? You also forget that while a detective may only be on the ship for a short while, these ships have huge security staff and footage of most public areas of the ship 24/7. They may not need to be physically on board for months to gather enough information. As a matter of fact, crime on cruise ships is easier to identify due to all the security cameras than crime, say, when someone breaks into your home....

Katherine

Archived