Missing Disney crew member..

Capt. Johnny

My family (Grandma, son, daughter-in-law, and 2 grandsons) just sailed on the Wonder last week and are heartsick about the loss...Having traveled on the Disney Cruise line before -- I have to say -- I suspect working for any cruise line is really, really hard work -- but Disney appears to take quite good care of the crew. We had a delightful time and met many, many wonderful crew members! My thoughts and prayers to the family, the crew -- and to all the families like ours, who are thumbing thru a photo album, with a thought and a prayer for the crew member who is likely in our photos...

Out of curiosity, what does this being the first person missing on a particular ship have to do with anything??????????????????????? It's not a ship's fault when someone decides to "fall" off............

Nobody said it was the ships fault...it was just a question that was asked out of curiosity.

I actually feel sorry for anyone who is booked on the upcoming Wonder cruise.

Based on the latest updates, it is going to be a world-class media circus on the pier in LA next Sunday. The family of the missing CM has already arrived in LA and appears to have the full intention of being at the dock when the Wonder arrives, with the plan to board the ship and search it themselves. You can be sure a mass of press (TV, print, the whole nine yards) will be present to capture the action. Disney is looking at a PR mess and passengers embarking on the 3/27 sailing are looking at delays and hassle.

How do you know this, with your two posts?

I don't read anything in that article that makes me think that "The family of the missing CM... appears to have the full intention of being at the dock when the Wonder arrives, with the plan to board the ship and search it themselves."

TV station ABC7 (Los Angeles) has the following posted on their website ~~

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The parents of a missing cruise ship worker spoke out about her disappearance Saturday.

The woman hasn't been seen now for several days and her parents want answers.

Rebecca Coriam, 24, was reported missing Tuesday morning when she didn't show up for a shift aboard the Disney Wonder.

The ship had left the Port of Los Angeles on its way to Puerto Vallarta when she disappeared.

Coriam was last seen on Tuesday, hours before the Disney Wonder docked in Puerto Vallarta. According to passengers on the cruise ship, the missing woman works in the ship's youth program.

The ship left Sunday evening. Disney officials said they searched the ship thoroughly and found no signs of the woman.

The Wonder is relatively new to the West Coast. It began sailing out of the Port of Los Angeles in January.

A spokesperson for Disney Cruises issued a written statement:

"Given the circumstances we are very concerned about this situation and are doing everything possible to assist with the search effort and investigation. We have also conducted a thorough and comprehensive inspection of the ship and spoken with the crew member's colleagues to gather as much information as possible."

The cruise line said the Mexican Navy and the U.S. Coast Guard have been conducting searches. The FBI has also been notified, although the Bahamian Maritime Authority is leading the investigation.

The Wonder is expected to return to Los Angeles Sunday.

Disney is the parent company of ABC7

Really doesn't shed much light on the current status... :confused:

I actually feel sorry for anyone who is booked on the upcoming Wonder cruise.

Based on the latest updates, it is going to be a world-class media circus on the pier in LA next Sunday. The family of the missing CM has already arrived in LA and appears to have the full intention of being at the dock when the Wonder arrives, with the plan to board the ship and search it themselves. You can be sure a mass of press (TV, print, the whole nine yards) will be present to capture the action. Disney is looking at a PR mess and passengers embarking on the 3/27 sailing are looking at delays and hassle.

Disney knows how to handle this. They are often a target for protests and similar public displays.

My son is currently on the Disney Magic. He told me Saturday that they flew 2 Youth staff from the Magic and 2 from the Dream out to California Saturday morning to join the Wonder and help out. I would assume that that staff on the Wonder are traumatized over all this and still need to work hard and put on a brave face for the passengers. Such a shame!

Out of curiosity, what does this being the first person missing on a particular ship have to do with anything??????????????????????? It's not a ship's fault when someone decides to "fall" off............

I was curious because most of the major cruise lines have had overboard passengers/crew but I didn't recall ever hearing that about Disney.

And I would say that because there have been no accidental overboard, says something about the clientele on Disney's cruise ships.

Just an FYI - my best friend boarded the Wonder yesterday and got to the port at 10:15am. She said not a single camera crew was anywhere in sight.

It doesn't surprise me. Frankly without some hint of scandal behind it, it's just not newsworthy to 99% of the population.

Edited to add: Not anymore newsworthy than a short blurb that's already hit. There's no compelling reason to send camera crews to the port for what is most likely a suicide.

It doesn't surprise me. Frankly without some hint of scandal behind it, it's just not newsworthy to 99% of the population.

Edited to add: Not anymore newsworthy than a short blurb that's already hit. There's no compelling reason to send camera crews to the port for what is most likely a suicide.

I did see something on Sky News today here in the UK. I've been trying to keep up todate with it all, as my daughter is joining the Wonder on 16th April as a Youth Counselor. It's her first time and she is obviously anxious after what has happend.

I did see something on Sky News today here in the UK. I've been trying to keep up todate with it all, as my daughter is joining the Wonder on 16th April as a Youth Counselor. It's her first time and she is obviously anxious after what has happend.

what did SKy news have to say?

Just an FYI - my best friend boarded the Wonder yesterday and got to the port at 10:15am. She said not a single camera crew was anywhere in sight.

With all due respect to your friend, she must have poor vision.

Crews from KTLA, KCBS and KNBC were parked directly across the channel.in plain view of the ship and were waving down vehicles leaving the terminal. Many stopped and the resulting interviews were all over LA area TV yesterday afternoon and evening.

In addition, a heart wrenching press conference was held by the parents of the missing CM yesterday after they finished speaking with Disney officials. The Corians basically said they were told nothing new and that was the basic headline in the major U.K news outlets today.

Bottom line: anyone who thinks this disappearance is just going to fade away quickly is in very deep denial. This is one time when the do-nothing BMA is going to learn the hard way that trying to sweep another missing voyager from a Bahamas registered cruise ship incident under the rug doesn't always work.

Bottom line: anyone who thinks this disappearance is just going to fade away quickly is in very deep denial. This is one time when the do-nothing BMA is going to learn the hard way that trying to sweep another missing voyager from a Bahamas registered cruise ship incident under the rug doesn't always work.

Where is this coming from?

Are there any updates today? I had nightmares after watching the news on Sunday about my own kids disappearing so I can't get myself to watch TV any more about this poor girl and her family. I am wondering if someone here has heard anything new.

Katherine

what did SKy news have to say?

They didn't say anything different to what you have heard in the US. It was a news report about the missing Disney crew member - it gave her name and where she is from in the UK and interviewed her parents who had travelled to LA to speak with officials (though I now know they are home again). They also showed some footage of the Wonder but not of it arriving in LA, or of anyone boarding her.

It's all so sad :(

Archived