Missing Disney crew member..

Capt. Johnny

Where is this coming from?

The answer to your question is in the link below. But to put it in context:

The investigation is being run being run by the Bahamas Maritime Authority (BMA) and the Royal Bahamas Police. There is no involvement whatsoever by any U.S. or U.K. law enforcement agency, because they have no jurisdiction due to the Wonder being registered in the Bahamas.

Unfortunately, the standard modus operandi of The BMA and Bahamas Police in these situations is to basically rubber stamp whatever "investigation" the big corporate owned cruise line conducts (they aren't going to disrupt the approximately $40 million a year in income those lucrative foreign ship cruise registrations bring to the Bahamas). The issue there – lack of any real objective outside oversight and review in the investigation– is ignoring the inherent conflict of interest of the cruise line (what business is going to conduct an investigation of an event on its property, other than one with conclusions that limit P.R. damage and remove legal liability?) :confused:

Frankly, the issue goes even further – what potential investigatory work wasn’t done last Sunday in L.A. because there wasn’t enough time to complete it before the ship sailed again, because -- irrespective of desperate questions surrounding the fate of a human life -- “the show had to go on”?

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2011/03/articles/disappearances-1/who-investigates-disappearances-on-cruise-ships/

The line has been involved with the FBI and dogs were seen in the hallways searching for the crewmember.

The FBI doesn't rubber stamp things, most of the time. And the dogs were not there for entertainment, I am sure....

Hope to hear more updates as this unfolds.

Katherine

The line has been involved with the FBI

Katherine

Katherine, the FBI is not involved in the investigation in any manner, shape or form. Here is what their spokesperson said to the press last week when asked about their involvement:

"The FBI is not involved because it does not have jurisdiction, as the ship was off the coast of Mexico flying under a foreign flag," said spokeswoman Laura Eimiller of the agency's Los Angeles office.

dogs were seen in the hallways searching for the crewmember

Katherine

Can you provide a link to confirmation of this? The only references I have seen to search dogs have been in comments on forums like this, have seen nothing about that in news reports.

The line has been involved with the FBI and dogs were seen in the hallways searching for the crewmember.

The FBI doesn't rubber stamp things, most of the time. And the dogs were not there for entertainment, I am sure....

Hope to hear more updates as this unfolds.

Katherine

I had thought that certain crimes on cruise ships were to be investigated by the FBI so I did a little searching and it appears that this disappearance was in fact beyond the jurisdiction of the FBI. CLIA member ships cruising from US ports or embarking a majority US citizens have agreed to report certain crimes and incidents to the FBI (DCL did) but the FBI is not obligated to investigate and indeed many are outside their jurisdiction.

This incident involved a missing foreign national on a foreign flagged ship in foreign waters so, from the perspective of the FBI, it's outside of their jurisdiction. There's no indication of whether the FBI would assist if asked.

Here's a little explaination from the FBI deputy assistant director. http://www.fbi.gov/news/testimony/crimes-against-americans-on-cruise-ships

Hi Elaine

I hadn't seen your post when I wrote my last one.

My daughter did say she wonders how she will be received by this poor girls colleagues - but Lois is such a lovely, kind and positve person that I'm sure it won't take long for her fit in.

What do your son and daughter-in-law do on board? I'll tell Lois to look out for them.

She is going to be onboard all summer while the Wonder is in Alaska. It's very exciting for her but wow, am I going to miss her! Is it easy for your family to stay in touch with you?

Adele:)

Edel,

My daughter is working on the DREAM since January and is having a ball. It's also her first time on a cruise ship, and what a ship!! She has extended her contract till end of July. Remember there are 1600 crew so there are lots of parties when off duty. The work is VERY hard, but you are told that before you go. Long hours, seven days a week. I also miss her so much but it's probably because I can't see her when I like. Internet is VERY expensive but you will get the odd phone call when they are on land! :D Facebook is also great to see her photos. I am also sad about Rebecca who is missing and worry about my own daughter as a result but I trust she will be sensible. I live in Ireland so Florida is 5 hours BEHIND us. A friend of my daughters was transferred to the WONDER last Sunday till May so staff are changing all the time on these ships. I hope this helps.

Edel,

My daughter is working on the DREAM since January and is having a ball. It's also her first time on a cruise ship, and what a ship!! She has extended her contract till end of July. Remember there are 1600 crew so there are lots of parties when off duty. The work is VERY hard, but you are told that before you go. Long hours, seven days a week. I also miss her so much but it's probably because I can't see her when I like. Internet is VERY expensive but you will get the odd phone call when they are on land! :D Facebook is also great to see her photos. I am also sad about Rebecca who is missing and worry about my own daughter as a result but I trust she will be sensible. I live in Ireland so Florida is 5 hours BEHIND us. A friend of my daughters was transferred to the WONDER last Sunday till May so staff are changing all the time on these ships. I hope this helps.

Thank you for your comments :)

Lois is still really looking forward to going (2 weeks today!), it's just so sad that this has happened, we really feel for Rebecca's family and the crew.

I'm glad to hear your daughter is having such a good time - Lois was supposed to be on the Dream until she was asked to travel out earlier to the Wonder.

You say the internet is very expensive - but we were led to believe it was a nominal charge?? We have just bought Lois a small notebook to keep in touch by skype - is that going to be difficult?

Thanks again.

Adele :)

Thank you for your comments :)

Lois is still really looking forward to going (2 weeks today!), it's just so sad that this has happened, we really feel for Rebecca's family and the crew.

I'm glad to hear your daughter is having such a good time - Lois was supposed to be on the Dream until she was asked to travel out earlier to the Wonder.

You say the internet is very expensive - but we were led to believe it was a nominal charge?? We have just bought Lois a small notebook to keep in touch by skype - is that going to be difficult?

Thanks again.

Adele, I just had a long reply written and it just disappeared :mad:

My daughter got her Irish mobile stolen the first few days she was on board?? She then bought an American one but doesn't want us to contact her on that as she also pays when she gets a call! and if she is at sea it's very expensive. She buys a phone card and rings from a land line on land which is the cheapest way to phone home. Remember that your daughter will be having such a good time on board that she won't be able to find the time to phone you. And seriously she won't have the time to do it either because of the time difference and working so hard, so don't expect to hear too often from her. You buy a card for the internet but it doesn't last long as you are on international waters. Remember too that the staff quarters are under the sea, and my daughter cannot access the internet on her laptop down there. She goes up to deck 14 around 3a.m. to get on Facebook and that isn't very often either. She doesn't have a camera on her laptop so couldn't use skype if she had it but I believe the internet is slow too. I don't hear often enough from my daughter but she's just working all the hours God sends and I know that too. "Leaving go" is the hardest thing to do.

Adele, I just had a long reply written and it just disappeared :mad:

My daughter got her Irish mobile stolen the first few days she was on board?? She then bought an American one but doesn't want us to contact her on that as she also pays when she gets a call! and if she is at sea it's very expensive. She buys a phone card and rings from a land line on land which is the cheapest way to phone home. Remember that your daughter will be having such a good time on board that she won't be able to find the time to phone you. And seriously she won't have the time to do it either because of the time difference and working so hard, so don't expect to hear too often from her. You buy a card for the internet but it doesn't last long as you are on international waters. Remember too that the staff quarters are under the sea, and my daughter cannot access the internet on her laptop down there. She goes up to deck 14 around 3a.m. to get on Facebook and that isn't very often either. She doesn't have a camera on her laptop so couldn't use skype if she had it but I believe the internet is slow too. I don't hear often enough from my daughter but she's just working all the hours God sends and I know that too. "Leaving go" is the hardest thing to do.

Hi again.

I suppose we wont know how keeping in touch will work until she is there and knows her working schedule.

I hope your daughter continues enjoying herself on the Dream and that Lois fits in well onboard the Wonder after their difficult time.

The Royal Bahamas Police, the lead agency in the investigation

:rolleyes: The above makes it sound as if there is some sort of major, robust investigation going on into the disapperance of Rebecca Coriam, actively involving many "entities." Nothing could be further from the truth - The Bahamas Maritime Authority (which brought in the Bahamas Police as their "investigative arm") and Disney Cruise Line are the only entities now doing anything (which isn't much, more on that below) on this case.

has concluded there are no indications of foul play in this case.

The Royal Bahamas Police flew from the Bahamas to meet the ship last Sunday in Los Angeles, boarded and in the space of a few hours conducted some type of "investigation" on the ship on Sunday (five days after the disappearance).

There were over 1,700 passengers on the Disney Wonder and many hundreds of crew members. The ship is over three football fields long and over a dozen decks high. In other words, lots of real estate to examine. There are hours of CCTV footage to sit and review, electronic telephone and link-lock data to analyze, winessess to interviw, polygraphs to administer, and detective work to perform. Who in their right mind thinks it is possible to do all that with even a competent forensic team (which the Bahamas Royal Police are not) in such short order?

Well, we're supposed to buy the idea that the crack detectives from Nassua (who cannot even solve crimes against cruise passengers and employees which happen across the street from their police station in Nassua) can. Yes, certainly - to those who are paying only superficial attention to what is really happening here. Those who aren't know the notion of the Bahamian police solving the disappearance of a young woman from England lost in the Pacific ocean off of the coast of Mexico based on a cursory, in-and-out trip to the ship is patently ludicrous.

Here is the actual quote from the Bahamas Police after their "investigation" trip: "With respect to the investigation into the disappearance of Miss Rebecca Coriam from the Disney Wonder cruise ship, the Royal Bahamas Police have concluded its investigation on board the vessel. At the present time there is no evidence to suggest foul play. The case remains open and under active investigation.''

What on earth does this mean? No evidence of foul play? Does this mean that there is evidence of something other than foul play? Does it mean that the police think that Ms. Coriam inadvertently or intentionally went overboard? Or does it mean simply that the police in the Bahamas don't have any idea what happened and instead of admitting that, they are doing Disney a favor by trying to convince the public this is an open and shut case to get them to stop paying attention to the still completely unexplained loss of a human life?

Dear Ironclad:

Just because YOU AND I don't know all of the details of the facts of this very sad and unfortunate case does not mean that facts are not known to those people who need to be aware of them. We, the general public, know for instance that a phone call was made by Ms. Coriam before she went missing. Apparently, from the little that we (as is fitting of being in the general public) have been made privy to, there are people who know what transpired in the course of that phone call. Just like that information exists, there may well be other information that we (the general public) know nothing of, nor do we need to know anything about it.

In answer to your question, yes, I suppose there could be loads of evidence that suggests/proves that there was no foul play. If that is, in fact, the case (and I'm not saying that it is, just that it's certainly very possible), why do you feel that it would be appropriate to air this poor girl's private trials in public?

Hi again.

I suppose we wont know how keeping in touch will work until she is there and knows her working schedule.

I hope your daughter continues enjoying herself on the Dream and that Lois fits in well onboard the Wonder after their difficult time.

This is a quote from Jessica's facebook page: "If u wanna ring me. it'll cost an absolute FORTUNE but u can call 1-732- Ship name is the Disney Dream -And remember we've a 5 hr difference... ye're ahead of us here!!" A mini bus load of crew visited 'Walt Disney world' on Sunday and There was a thunder storm while there. so as you can see they make the best of their time off. She also says that:" I hear you can call American landlines via internet now.. so it would be free!!" I don't know much about that but you could enquire if it would help. It's been weeks now since I heard from her and it makes me fed up but that's life. At least I can see what she's up to on facebook when she gets on that. Of course your daughter will fit in!!! Disney only employ THE BEST! Just don't worry if you don't hear from her for several days at a time.

This is a quote from Jessica's facebook page: "If u wanna ring me. it'll cost an absolute FORTUNE but u can call 1-732- Ship name is the Disney Dream -And remember we've a 5 hr difference... ye're ahead of us here!!" A mini bus load of crew visited 'Walt Disney world' on Sunday and There was a thunder storm while there. so as you can see they make the best of their time off. She also says that:" I hear you can call American landlines via internet now.. so it would be free!!" I don't know much about that but you could enquire if it would help. It's been weeks now since I heard from her and it makes me fed up but that's life. At least I can see what she's up to on facebook when she gets on that. Of course your daughter will fit in!!! Disney only employ THE BEST! Just don't worry if you don't hear from her for several days at a time.

Sounds like Jessica is having a ball!

Lois was a little disappointed at first at not going to the Caribbean, she was originally supposed to be on the Dream. She's now going to be in Vancouver and Alaska for the whole of the summer, but we have family in Vancouver so hopefully she'll get to see them (and they can always ring me to let us know how she is! :))

Still no real news on Rebecca though :(

Adele

Oh my goodness! I've just read this to my daughter who flies out to LA in 2 weeks time to join the Wonder as a Youth Activities Counselor.

Is she going to be this girls replacement - how awful!!

I think it is far more likely that your daughter is going to take the place of someone who knew and was friends with Rebecca and needs time to deal with what has happened.

I don't want to sound like a terrible person, and certainly none of us know what happened at this point, but to my mind there are not a whole lot of options.

If Rebecca... left the ship on her own steam with no intention of returning, I hope that everyone who cared about her can eventually make peace with that (I speak from personal experience on the subject).

If someone helped her leave against her will... Disney will find out and they will (quietly) take care of the problem.

I would however love it if somehow, somewhere, Rebecca appeared as quickly as she disappeared.

Meanwhile my heart goes out to Rebecca's family and friends as they endure the torture of the unknown.

I think it is far more likely that your daughter is going to take the place of someone who knew and was friends with Rebecca and needs time to deal with what has happened.

I don't want to sound like a terrible person, and certainly none of us know what happened at this point, but to my mind there are not a whole lot of options.

If Rebecca... left the ship on her own steam with no intention of returning, I hope that everyone who cared about her can eventually make peace with that (I speak from personal experience on the subject).

If someone helped her leave against her will... Disney will find out and they will (quietly) take care of the problem.

I would however love it if somehow, somewhere, Rebecca appeared as quickly as she disappeared.

Meanwhile my heart goes out to Rebecca's family and friends as they endure the torture of the unknown.

I feel I should apologize for my first post as it was my initial reaction to read the news about Rebecca.

I now know they have transfered staff from their other 2 ships to the Wonder to help out during this difficult time.

It's just one of those wierd coincidences that Lois was asked to LA that same day.

Dear Ironclad:

Just because YOU AND I don't know all of the details of the facts of this very sad and unfortunate case does not mean that facts are not known to those people who need to be aware of them. We, the general public, know for instance that a phone call was made by Ms. Coriam before she went missing. Apparently, from the little that we (as is fitting of being in the general public) have been made privy to, there are people who know what transpired in the course of that phone call. Just like that information exists, there may well be other information that we (the general public) know nothing of, nor do we need to know anything about it.

In answer to your question, yes, I suppose there could be loads of evidence that suggests/proves that there was no foul play. If that is, in fact, the case (and I'm not saying that it is, just that it's certainly very possible), why do you feel that it would be appropriate to air this poor girl's private trials in public?

^^^Well said.^^^

I was on the Disney Wonder the week before Rebecca Corian went missing .I met her the very first time I took the children ( I'm a nanny for )up to the Oceaneers Club. I was born in Kings Lynn England and I joked with her about my accent ( witch is not british due to being in the states since the age of two )She is a very outgoing young lady with a big welcoming smile . I have a daughter just a few years older then Rebecca.As a mom I pray they find her safe and sound. My hopes are that she was home sick and caught a flight home to England. I know how hard the crew members work .I know they put in very long hours and work for many days with about 3 hrs off while in port once a week .I hope they find her soon safe and sound home or with the friend she called .To all of the crew members thank you for all of your hard work .I met some wonderful crew members who I will always rember for making me feel specail.Rebecca hurry home .

... If someone helped her leave against her will... Disney will find out and they will (quietly) take care of the problem ...

Someone tosses an employee overboard after doing who knows what to her, and you are fine with no prosecution, no public acknowledgment of a crime having been committed, just let the company do whatever they feel serves their interests*, without telling anyone?

(re-post of previous, minus offensive expression at top, per message from admin, who should be glad that I didn't post what I originally thought :eek: )

*should probably have said "purposes" rather than "interests", but don't want to pretend that I said something different

Sounds like Jessica is having a ball!

Lois was a little disappointed at first at not going to the Caribbean, she was originally supposed to be on the Dream. She's now going to be in Vancouver and Alaska for the whole of the summer, but we have family in Vancouver so hopefully she'll get to see them (and they can always ring me to let us know how she is! :))

Still no real news on Rebecca though :(

Adele

Jess says you get 200 minutes for 20 dollars but that the internet is so slow that you don't get much done during that time. I bet you would love to be in Alaska and Vancouver for the whole summer! I know I would:) Make sure you get her address off Lois's contract before she goes and you will be able to write to her. That helps. I've just sent Jess's T-Shirt for 'Motor Neuron Disease' [and a letter!] as she has a friend with it who is bad at the moment. She will get publicity for the organisation by being photographed with the Disney characters. so if Lois has something like that it will help others. It took me ages today to find this blogg again. I hope your now all excited for Lois, she is probably scared about going to America on her own, though there's a direct flight from London. Jess had to navigate Heathrow on her own first, but she did it. As I told her 'They speak English there'??

Jess says you get 200 minutes for 20 dollars but that the internet is so slow that you don't get much done during that time. I bet you would love to be in Alaska and Vancouver for the whole summer! I know I would:) Make sure you get her address off Lois's contract before she goes and you will be able to write to her. That helps. I've just sent Jess's T-Shirt for 'Motor Neuron Disease' [and a letter!] as she has a friend with it who is bad at the moment. She will get publicity for the organisation by being photographed with the Disney characters. so if Lois has something like that it will help others. It took me ages today to find this blogg again. I hope your now all excited for Lois, she is probably scared about going to America on her own, though there's a direct flight from London. Jess had to navigate Heathrow on her own first, but she did it. As I told her 'They speak English there'??

Hi again, thank Jessica for the cost of the internet information.

Why don't you email me directly rather than using this thread - it will be easier to keep in touch.

Its:

the 4 karpels at aol dot com (dont think we are allowed to write it properly on this site!)

Look forward to hearing from you.

Archived