Mauritius Cruise

Mediana

Costa tend to rotate their ships in their exotic markets on a regular basis. Marina started the the Indian Ocean cruises several years ago, followed by Europe and now for the second time Romantica.

As the Marina is about half the size of Romantica, it could be due to the economic situation that Costa cannot fill the Romantica.

Also COsta is embarking on a refurbishm,ent program for their older ships starting at the end of 2011, if you study the latets catalogue you will see that the ROmantica do not have any cruises planned (as yet) from Nov 2011 to Feb 2012 (refurbishment?).

Ron

Thanks, that makes sense. I was really looking forward to booking this trip but now I'm not sure anymore. It's a smaller ship and my mother gets easily seasick. She's done a lot of cruises over the years but never with this kind of smaller ship. Im also wondering about the review on this site where it says that the ship is dedicated entirely to the German market.

Marina maybe small but like her sister Allegra she was built as a containership with a V hull, not flat bottomed like modern cruise ships. This makes both ships very stable as they sit in the water and not on top of it.

Kasi recently did a Canaries cruise aboard Marina....I did over 30 days on Allegra last year...steady ships that are lovely due to their size, very friendly both to you as a passenger in their layout but also you actually get to know your crew and vice versa, which makes for a very special cruise experience.

As for her being for Germans, she was at one time due to a charter, but now she is back to being fully multinational. She and her sister are among the most popular little ships around...they don't have the bells and whistles of the megaships but they make up for that in bucketloads in character and just a homely feel about them.

Don't be put off by her size :)

The Marina is a wonderful ship, small but super friendly. It was years ago that the Marina was chartered to a German tour operator and it's strange that CC doesn't get around to updating their review. As for the ship's stability, if the sea is very, very rough, the stern will bounce around a bit (unfortunately that's where the dining room is) but if your cabin is toward the center you'll feel only a slight motion - perfect for sleeping. I was on her in March 2010 for the Canary Islands cruise so I can relate facts with a bit of experience. The smaller number of passengers aboard will be a big plus on the Indian Ocean cruise.

The Marina is NOT being maketed for the German market it is totally international these days.

Several years ago Costa used to dedicate a ship per season for German speakers, Marina, Classica and the former Europe were such ships. But that is now a thing of the past.

I was on the Allegra and just loved the family atmosphere onboard, the crew get to know you much quick and that seems to give that little bit extra in service.

Ron

Thanks so much for you input. I'm gonna think it over once time more and see if I can convince my mother that a small ship won't rock more :)

Other than that, Is this a good cruise?

• 2 weeks later...
So, I wanted to book this cruise but the web site won't allow it *Grrr* I only get an error message. I've tried at least eight times.

costa isn't known for their website usefulness. my suggestion would be to locate an online agent - you'll probably get a better price, too.

or, you could give costa a call on the phone. their phone people are pretty helpful in my experience.

costa isn't known for their website usefulness. my suggestion would be to locate an online agent - you'll probably get a better price, too.

or, you could give costa a call on the phone. their phone people are pretty helpful in my experience.

Can you tell me what Costa is known for? :)

Yeh, I guess I can try calling them.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived