Riga, Latvia--To Tour or Not To Tour?

GJH123

We are interested in seeing the Old Town, Jugendstil District, Central Market, and the Museum of the Occupation in Riga. We have found a tour by Amber Way, combination bus and walking, which seems to cover the major sights. For those who have been to Riga, would you recommend DIY or the tour? If anybody has used this company, please advise. Thanks so much for any insight you might provide.

You can easily do this port on your own. We were there last August and just walked around. There is a walking tour in the Lonely Planet book which takes one past all the art noveau architecture. We saw the Occupation Museum which is excellent and then wandered around there and saw the church right beside the museum. We also walked right by the Freedom Monument on our walking tour. Our ship was only in port for 6 hours so we meandered and did not feel rushed. The terrain is quite flat so should be easy enough for almost anyone. The buildings were spectacular. We stopped and had a cappuccino which was very reasonable, used their free restroom, and made it back to the ship for a late lunch. All told this "excursion" cost us under $10 USD and we thought much better than going on a tour where we were like cattle.

There is not much here about Riga but what we found was quite good. Do a search to find the threads from last summer.

Enjoy!

Pearl

We did this port on our own. We did take the ship shuttle into town, which for us was about a 20-minute drive.

Our first stop was the Central Market (which had an ATM in the outdoor area) and many people who didn't speak any English! But it was great to shop with the locals. Then we wandered to Old Town and on to the Jugendstil District--which is Embassy Row in Riga. We walked back through the modern part of the city, and stopped again in Old Town for lunch and shopping, then back to where the bus picked us up. It was very easy on our own, but I did print out a map with all the directions before we left home. Google search Jugendstil and Central Market for more info. We had plenty of time to see these things, and I believe it was a short port day.

Thanks to both Pearl and Drifting for your helpful responses. I have found a walking tour map of the city. Just to clarify, it is possible to walk from Central Market to Old Town; it looked like they were separated by a major highway and I wasn't sure if we would be able to cross on foot.

It's been a few years since we were in Riga, but it was an easy walk from the market to Old Town, maybe 10 or 15 minutes. Checking Google Maps, I see what you mean, but there was either an underpass to walk on, or it wasn't a problem at all to cross.

We walked to the market from where the cruise shuttle dropped us off along Krasta iela, and to get to Old Town we used Valnu iela. It was very straight-forward when we were there, but I can see how the map is confusing.

Thanks for responding, Drifting. I think I have previously read about tunnels in Riga and this may be applicable here. Appreciate you taking the time to respond. It looks like we'll give it a go!

Norwegian Latvian,

We had all of your "not to miss" list covered, except for the Skyline Bar. Might be the easiest way to get a panoramic view of the city, elevator and no steps, I'm guessing; and a drink, would you recommend any of the Latvian regional beers or is there a special wine or cocktail that are signature Lativan that we should go for?

By the way are you familiar with the boats that tour the river and through the parks on the eastern fringe of the old city area? Worthwhile or too touristy?

Looking forward to seeing your beautiful city! Thanks for your help!

Hi again,

When you enjoy a beer or another drink at Skyline Bar, this is the view you get.

In my mind Uzavas is the best beer in Latvia, but unfortunately this is not served at Skyline bar. A decent alternative is Cesu. Beer is alus in latvian.

The most latvian drink you can get, is Riga Black Balsam. I dont like it at all, but its traditional and stuff..:)

The river tour.. Hmm.. What to say? Its in my mind not worth it. You can walk instead since its sidewalks by the river almost the whole distance.

If you got more than a day in Riga, I would suggest the E

as well. Here you can see authentic Latvian Houses, farmsteads, windmills, wooden churches, and fishermens villages that represent different regions of Latvia og the 16th to 19th centuries.

Just ask if its something more you want to know! Welcome to Riga!

Thanks again, Norwegianlatvian; we've added your suggestions to our itinerary. We had considered the Ethnographic Museum, but fear our time may be too short. Also, we weren't sure if English tour guides or headphones were available. We do plan on visiting Skansen in Stockholm. It seems that the open-air Ethnographic museums are quite popular in Scandinavia.

• 2 weeks later...

We are staying at the Radisson Blu Elizabete for 3 nights this may. I hope i picked a good location. We are taking a Lux Express bus from Vilinus to Riga, does anyone know if the drop off is near our hotel?

Also, what is the best way to get to the airport from our airport, how long would it take? it's a 14:30 flight on a tuesday afternoon.

Any help/ tips/ advice would be wonderful. Thanks.

It is easy to reach and find the bus stop if you are staying at Radisson Blu Elizabete. One of the bus stops is just 5 minutes walk away from your hotel. This bus stop is situated at Radisson Blu Hotel Latvija (formerly named Reval Hotel Latvija).

The best way to the airport is by taxi. 25 minutes and aprox. 8 LVL (16 dollar). Ask the taxi driver about the price in front, since some taxi drivers tries to scam tourists.

Just ask away. I live 7 minutes away from your hotel, and can almost see the bus stop from my flat:)

Thank you for the bus information. We had hoped to see the circus, but it looks like the show closes May 8th, & we won't be there til May 21. Do you know if there will be a new show when we are there ( may 21 for 3 days) or if a traveling circus comes through Riga ?

• 2 weeks later...

What to say about access for wheelchairs? I cant say that Riga is the best in the class when it comes to universal design. In the old town most of the streets are cobbles and most of the squares also where many of the outside restaurants are. It will get bumpy!

About the circus: Sorry, I dont know, but I will ask my girlfriend to find out for you! Right now I only know about the show that ends 08 May..

• 1 month later...

After a 24 nite cruise across the pond & into the baltic we stayed 3 nites in Riga. I must say that of all the places we were on this trip, Riga is my favorite.

Wonderful buildings ( 'specially the Art Nouveau ), how easy it is to walk the city, the parks ringing Old Town & the friendly people. Would go back & explore some more.

• 1 month later...

Just ask if its something more you want to know! Welcome to Riga!

Hello! Several years ago when we were in Riga, we ate at a wonderful place that had 7 sample dishes with a different Latvian beer to go with each. Not huge portions of either, but enough to let us get a taste. All we remember is that we walked down some stairs into the restaurant and it was either along a very long wall or building. Would you happen to know the place we are thinking about? If so, could you give us an address or directions so we can find it again? Thank you!

Archived