Golden Eagle Catamaran - a great excursion with a glitch that worked out in the end

Teamv

We were on the Dream last week, doing the eastern itinerary and we were booked with the Golden Eagle catamaran in St. Thomas. We had a great time and were glad we chose this excursion. We thought we would share our experience.

We booked the excursion a couple of months ago and by the time we were on the ship it was full. The time of the excursion was changed from 12:15 to 1:15. We were happy about that because it gave us more time to spend in Phillipsburg, via the water taxi, and do some shopping. We had time to return to the ship to drop off our purchases, change and eat lunch before we met on the pier. We found out about the change in time because I happened to go by the excursion desk a few days earler to ask about an option for St Thomas and I asked if we could pick up our St Maarten tickets then. I understand that otherwise we would have received them in our cabin, possibly the night before?? I think next time I would definitely go to the excursion desk rather than wait for the tickets to be delivered to make sure about any changes.

We got to the pier and easily found where we were to meet the group. We noticed that there were several lines of people for the Golden Eagle, and there were alot of people waiting!! We were expecting to go on the large Golden Eagle that holds up to 86 people and we knew that there were 3 of them, so we were expecting to be very crowded. Eventually we started walking and after 5 or so minutes we reached the part of the pier where the cats were docked. Much to our surprise, and most of the other people in our group, we were led to a smaller catamaran, the Too Rhum Punch, definitely NOT what we had all paid our $80 fee for! I stopped one of the staff before we boarded and asked what was going on. He explained that they were fully sold out and were using all of their boats. I paused for a moment, thinking that this could be very bad, and lots of the passengers behind us were beginning to grumble. He said that there were 86 people on the larger boats and only 32 on ours. I looked over and saw the large numbers of people crawling all over the Golden Eagles and decided that this might be a better option. So before we could get ourselves worked up we tossed our shoes in the bins and jumped aboard.

The catamaran was beautiful, the crew was friendly and talkative, our fellow passengers were all in a good mood. Crisis definitely averted! We had a lovely sail with a running talking tour provided by one of the deck hands from Holland. Our kids helped to hoist the sail. There was lots of juice and water. We anchored in front of a lovely beach and the staff handed out the snorkelling equipment. There was enough to go around, but by the mid point people were having difficulty matching up flippers or finding a mask to fit. I ended up having to use one cracked flipper. Eventually everyone got suited up. There were 15 flotation vests (which DH and our kids used but they were not the best we have ever used - difficult to deflate) and everyone else was given noodles. No one seemed to mind and the flotation vests seemed to be passed around. I was glad that weren't having to take the time to sort this out with 86 people. The snorkelling was not impressive but we did see some fish, large black urchins and 1 pretty blue fish. Again I am glad we weren't sharing the water with all of those other people.

While we were snorkelling the staff took coolers of drinks to the beach where some passengers chose to spend their time. You could either swim or take a dinghy ride back and forth to the beach.

Everyone seemed ready to go when it was time and then the party started. There was fabulous rum punch, beer, pop for the kids, water and some good sandwiches. The booze was flowing and the music was loud. It was a wonderful sail back.

We give this excursion a thumbs up and were grateful that everyone on our boat made the best of the change, because otherwise it could have been very uncomfortable. I don't know what the staff would have done if someone was insistent on being on the larger Golden Eagle. We do believe that we ended up with a better excursion, but if this might be a problem for you it might be a good idea to call the Golden Eagle company and speak with them directly before you book to make sure you know what you are getting. If you are looking for excellent snorkelling, this is not for you, but that was not as important to us and we had a great time.

Happy to answer any questions.

Hello! Glad it worked out well for you. This may be a silly question, but what did you mean when you said you threw your shoes in the bin? Are shoes not allowed on the cat? I am going on the Golden Eagle in June; my Grandma will be with us and I know she will not be wanting to go on with out her shoes!! lol!

Yes, your understanding is correct.

You deposit your shoes in bins on the dock before you board the Golden Eagle, although we have seen people wearing the 'aqua socks' thingies on board.

gary

Hello! Glad it worked out well for you. This may be a silly question, but what did you mean when you said you threw your shoes in the bin? Are shoes not allowed on the cat? I am going on the Golden Eagle in June; my Grandma will be with us and I know she will not be wanting to go on with out her shoes!! lol!

I think that they most likely want to avoid any shoes with heels, dirt, etc that might damage the boat interior or shoes that would be unsafe for passengers. The captain was wearing deck shoes, so I wonder if your Grandma would be OK if she were wearing non-marking, clean shoes. Maybe she could bring an extra pair to put on after she walks over to the dock? It would be worth a call or email to the Golden Eagle to check with them. Have lots of fun!!

I think that they most likely want to avoid any shoes with heels, dirt, etc that might damage the boat interior or shoes that would be unsafe for passengers. The captain was wearing deck shoes, so I wonder if your Grandma would be OK if she were wearing non-marking, clean shoes. Maybe she could bring an extra pair to put on after she walks over to the dock? It would be worth a call or email to the Golden Eagle to check with them. Have lots of fun!!

My recollection of all of the trips that we've taken on the Golden Eagle, at least five, all of the crew were barefoot, and though I don't have any distinct recollection, I assume the Captain was, as well.

gary

First, I would opine that there is no need for shoes on this trip.

Second, I would think that having 20 pairs of shoes thrown about on the cat would make it somewhat cluttered.

But, if grandma wanted to keep her shoes, if they are appropriate (sneakers, boat shoes, aqua shoes), I see no problem.

<snip>

I would think that having 20 pairs of shoes thrown about on the cat would make it somewhat cluttered.

<snip>

You haven't sailed the Golden Eagle, have you?

As mentioned above, the shoes go into bins before you board, and there could be up to (I believe) 86 pairs of shoes in the multiple bins, which don't clutter the Eagle at all.

gary

You haven't sailed the Golden Eagle, have you?

As mentioned above, the shoes go into bins before you board, and there could be up to (I believe) 86 pairs of shoes in the multiple bins, which don't clutter the Eagle at all.

gary

I have been on the Golden Eagle twice. When I was on it, they left the bins at the dock.

My point was addressing the person that was asking why the shoes are taken pre boarding. My point was that shoes were not needed, and that if everyone got on the cat with their shoes, it would only be a matter of time until off they came.

Teamv, thanks so much for posting. Was it one stop or two stops along the way, and can you tell me where they took you? I know they are no longer going to Tintamarre, and when I emailed them they said that they would instead stop at either Mullet or Sammaria (?--unsure of spelling).

The snorkeling is not my absolute requirement. I'm more about the sailing itself and the whole experience. Just wondering where they took you...

We only made one stop. It was at Mullet Bay, I believe. Funny, before we left on the trip I was determined to note the location because I had read discussions on this board about the change in itinerary, and I wanted to share the information. But at the time we were there, it just didn't matter because we were so relaxed and happy!! As I said, we didn't see anything spectacular in the water when we were snorkelling, but we were there for the experience not specifically the snorkelling.

Just to note, that although they do hoist the sail, the catamaran is under power the whole way, so you don't get the full experience of actually sailing. But we still had a wonderful time.

Gary, Captain Marco from South Africa was wearing deck shoes. I only noticed because he stepped on one of my kids' feet by accident.

I have been on the Golden Eagle twice. When I was on it, they left the bins at the dock.

My point was addressing the person that was asking why the shoes are taken pre boarding. My point was that shoes were not needed, and that if everyone got on the cat with their shoes, it would only be a matter of time until off they came.

This is not neccesarily true. My grandma will likely just be enjoying the boat ride, in which case there would be no need for her to take off her shoes. Walking without something on her feet is very uncomfortable for her. I can understand the need to keep the cat clean and we would certainly make sure that her shoes were clean and did not mark. I think it is important to remember that the needs of one does not necessarily represent the needs of all.

Sorry, I misunderstood your point, and I apologize for the snark. :)

gary

<snip>

Gary, Captain Marco from South Africa was wearing deck shoes. I only noticed because he stepped on one of my kids' feet by accident.

I don't think that we've sailed with him, as I usually chat with the Captain and I don't remember South Africa being discussed.

We've been on the Golden Eagle probably eight times, the last being October 2009.

gary

Archived