Tell me what to expect at EZE

ksc1984

No experience with international airports. Help me get prepared!! Don't know my flight time yet but will be departing in January after the cruise. Thanks much.

Airline check in......Roughly the same as in a busy US airport, except there is a security station where you will be asked a number of questions about your bags.....when they were packed, by whom, where, whether you were given anything by anyone, and so forth....

Screening.....Not as strict as the US...belts and shoes are not required to be removed, for example....

Immigration. The Immigration officer will make certain you have completed the proper half page form (available at check in from most airlines or at immigration) and that you have a valid tourist visa stamped in your passport....

Airline screening....some airlines do their own screening as part of the boarding process...opening bags, hand held wands waved over your body.....

You can buy liquids at the duty free shop to take on board, but remember if you are connecting to a flight in the USA that you will need to go through screening again...and you will need to shift liquids to checked luggage from your carry on....

EZE is a busy airport and most flights to the USA on US carriers leave in the evening for an overnight flight....so the airport is very congested during this busy time...plan to arrive 3 hours in advance of your flight.....and an additional 30 to 45 minutes to get to the airport from downtown...

I can't disagree with anything dr dawggy said. I'll just underscore the fact that EZE is a very busy airport and that you should arrive not less than three hours prior to your flight. We needed every minute of that. One unexpected snag that cost us some time was a last minute gate change for our departing flight and the announcement was only made in Spanish.

I would add that when we left from EZE we could not check in until 3 hours before flight time. We arrived about 5 hours early from the ship and had to sit in the main hall for two hours until check-in opened. Very few seats, most people sitting on the floor. There are a couple small coffee shops where for the price of a drink/pastry you can occupy a seat for quite some time. The all seem to take credit cards, even for small purchases.

Also when we boarded at the gate we went through another security check and ALL liquids were confiscated, even the water we bought after security.

We were told Argentinian security does not permit any liquids to be carried on. The vendors in duty free do not tell you this. We saw a plastic bin full of liquid containers next to the security officer.

Also be sure your passport was stamped when you entered the country and know where that stamp is. Immigration went crazy when they could not find it in one of our passports and were about to not let us leave the country. (Seems strange that if we were illegals you would think the would want us to leave!) We finally found it after about 15 min but if we had pre-located it we would have saved time and angst.

We went through the process twice last week, Sunday and again on Monday. On Sunday we left our hotel at 5:15 for a 9:20 flight. We took a pre-reserved remise to the airport. Arrived at 6 and made it to the gate at 7:30. The biggest delay was for immigration (took about 45 minutes).....

Turned out our flight was overbooked and the airline asked for volunteers who were willing to spend an extra day in BA for an 800 dollar voucher, a night in a nice hotel, meals, and transportation to/from the airport. My wife and I took advantage of the offer.

After a night at the Intercontinental and a pleasant day in BA, we took a remise to the airport at 5:15....once again arriving at about 6PM....In contrast to the previous night, the scene was chaotic....all flights had been delayed due to a problem with the communication grid between various airports.....our 9:20 flight finally got off the ground at 12:30....As an earlier poster mentioned, our flight was moved from one gate to another....so it is important to check the overhead boards for any change in departure time or gate....since announcements will not be made in English....

We took water on board, so the problem another poster mentioned might vary from airline to airline...we were on American...or it might simply be a matter of looking closely one night and not so closely the next....

The immigrations officers will come on board and stamp all passports but if yours is like ours, hopefully, you will have traveled a lot and have many stamps. I just think it would be easier to know where the stamp is.

We flew home United via Washington DC and there were security officers after we showed our boarding passes and started down the ramp. They were checking everything, wanding everybody, etc. The even took a coke from a kid's backpack.

Maybe we were the exception or it is random. We were also leaving EXE on Jan 2 so the holiday may have made a different.

Guess my point is don't wast your money on a $6 bottle of water if you don't need it. Better safe than sorry and you can get water on the plane. Since we do not buy duty free I don't know what they do with those liquids such as perfumes and wine but suspect they are delivered after security. As with many places officials can be capricious and the rules change from day to day.

Enjoy BA it is a wonderful city.

When you speak of these lnes to que up into, do both persons of a couple have to do this or can one sit it out? My hubby is a bit older than I and doesn't do lines well.

You will both need to go through screening and immigration. There is a separate immigration line for the handicapped, so if your husband has physical problems he should be able to zip through...(I do not know about handicapped lines for security and for airline check in....I did not notice...sorry)....

When I flew out of EZE in January, I was told by people to allow 4 hours, and to allow about 45 minutes from my hotel to airport in a taxi. We thought this might be a bit extreme (we fly a lot, and navigate airports well) So for a 545 pm flight, we left hotel at 1:30, and taxi took only 30 minutes so we got there at 2 pm. They hadn't even announced what desks we would be checking in at, so we just had to sit in an overcrowded airport until 3, with all the other people who were wondering why they were there so early! Checked in by 315, through security by 345, and in lounge with a drink by 4 pm. Found it faster and simpler than many other major airports (such as London Heathrow, de Gaulle in Paris, Toronto...)

Everyone we interacted with at EZE was super nice and helpful, so though it was a long evening, we had a great trip and would go again in a heartbeat. That being said, here is a breakdown of our EZE outgoing experience.

As one poster noted, you cannot check in until 3 hours before your flight. Our flight on Continental was scheduled for 10:30pm, so check in was not until 7:30pm. The airport was packed with fellow cruisers with all their luggage. It was chaotic, to say the least. Lines had already started forming in front of the ticket counters when we arrived at around 5:30.

So, even though our checkin time was not until 7:30, the line for our flight started around 6 or so and it would have started earlier except Continental shares counter space with Air France, so we couldn't queue up until the Air France flight was closed. It was a long time to stand in line after a long day of touring. We were lucky to be near the beginning of the line.

The other airlines had long lines as well, way before the 3 hour window opened. There were at least 3 separate lines running the length of the ticket counters.

Once the checkin process began, you first had to go through a passport check and everyone goes through this separately. Then you get back in line to get to the ticket counter. Then there is a walk to the security gate where there were more long lines. Then we went straight to the bar. It was around 9pm before we sat down.

As someone else experienced, my water bottles were taken at the gate. They also made everyone take off their shoes and went through the carry on bags again right as we boarded the plane.

Exhausting, but the trip was wonderful. Go, enjoy your trip, and don't worry.

Everyone we interacted with at EZE was super nice and helpful, so though it was a long evening, we had a great trip and would go again in a heartbeat. That being said, here is a breakdown of our EZE outgoing experience.

As one poster noted, you cannot check in until 3 hours before your flight. Our flight on Continental was scheduled for 10:30pm, so check in was not until 7:30pm. The airport was packed with fellow cruisers with all their luggage. It was chaotic, to say the least. Lines had already started forming in front of the ticket counters when we arrived at around 5:30.

So, even though our checkin time was not until 7:30, the line for our flight started around 6 or so and it would have started earlier except Continental shares counter space with Air France, so we couldn't queue up until the Air France flight was closed. It was a long time to stand in line after a long day of touring. We were lucky to be near the beginning of the line.

The other airlines had long lines as well, way before the 3 hour window opened. There were at least 3 separate lines running the length of the ticket counters.

Once the checkin process began, you first had to go through a passport check and everyone goes through this separately. Then you get back in line to get to the ticket counter. Then there is a walk to the security gate where there were more long lines. Then we went straight to the bar. It was around 9pm before we sat down.

As someone else experienced, my water bottles were taken at the gate. They also made everyone take off their shoes and went through the carry on bags again right as we boarded the plane.

Exhausting, but the trip was wonderful. Go, enjoy your trip, and don't worry.

The only sane thing to do after all the stress of waiting in lines! :)

If you feel stressed, you might want to splurge on a one-day pass at the airline club for your airline. At least you get free booze and snacks (in most cases). As noted, have your passport and visa info at the ready. If it's any comfort, you may well have more hassles between flights in the U.S. Excellent tip about items from duty free having to go into your checked bags when you get to the U.S. One poster mentions water purchased inside the secure zone, though doesn't mention duty free items (sometimes those are delivered to the plane so you might have no worries getting those onto the plane, but definitely would if you tried to take thenm with your carry-on bags when you pass through security when connecting to a domestic flight in the U.S.).

All in all, don't worry. Lots of good advice above. You will survive.

Our experience was of a small and crowded airport with multiple very long and slow-moving queues. The journey out from the centre of Buenos Aires took almost two hours.

Not a good experience, and we'll be there again in 11 months time...

No experience with international airports. Help me get prepared!! Don't know my flight time yet but will be departing in January after the cruise. Thanks much.

If you are flying back to the USA, expect a very long wait!

How about flying INTO EZE from Europe? What delays can be expected for an early morning arrival, immigration, baggage claim, and finally finding a taxi for the trip into BA?

Arrivals are Usually far less hectic than flying out of EZE.

First stop, Immigration. If you are flying on a US Passport you will be directed to a line to pay a reciprocity fee of US140, then on to immigration where they will check your passport. (The US 140 reciprocity fee is good for unlimited visits for 10 years).

Next, on to the baggage area to pick up luggage and to customs.

Once you have cleared customs, you can pick up a remise (car hire) at one of the booths as you first exit the customs area or keep going until you come to the free standing taxi booth in the middle of the arrival area. Charge is about 150 pesos (divide by 4 for dollar amount). Both options are safe alternatives. What is not safe is to go to the curb to grab a cab.

Total time.....hard to say with any certainty...lots of variables....but in 30 or so trips to BA, I have been in a cab headed for town in as little as 20 minutes from the time of arrival to one hour and 45 minutes. 30 to45 minutes is about the norm. The one time I breezed through my luggage came off the plane early and customs waived me through....the longest time, the customs line took forever...and customs officials chose to go through my bags looking for contraband...

Thanks Dr Dawggy. Damn! That's a hefty "Reciprocity Fee." I'll be arriving just to hop on a cruise ship the next day for a transatlantic cruise.

The reciprocity fee is the amount charged by the US government for a visa for citizens of Argentina to visit the US. And,yes,it is a hefty amount for a one night stay....maybe you should reschedule and spend an extra couple of days in BA, since you have to pay the fee anyway :)

The reciprocity fee is the amount charged by the US government for a visa for citizens of Argentina to visit the US. And,yes,it is a hefty amount for a one night stay....maybe you should reschedule and spend an extra couple of days in BA, since you have to pay the fee anyway :)

Okay, now I understand. Don't like it but you can't fight city hall. You're right - now I'll plan on visiting BA for a few days before the cruise. Thanks again. :o

Okay, now I understand. Don't like it but you can't fight city hall. You're right - now I'll plan on visiting BA for a few days before the cruise. Thanks again. :o

Yup. You are but a pawn in a game of global chess.

Wise choice to spend a few extra days in BA. Great city. I first visited in 2001 and I was hooked. I cannot stay away. If you need any questions answered, I will be glad to help you as best I can. I know the city fairly well.

I am pretty sure that unless you are a US national(citizen or using a green card) you don't have to pay the reciprocity fee. The fee varies by your country of citizenship. The amount is exactly the same as the US charges for a visa for Argentine citizens(the only difference is the Argentine has to pay it whether the visa is issued of not- the US national visiting Argentine is rarely, if ever refused entry but about half of the US visa requests are refused)...

I am pretty sure that unless you are a US national(citizen or using a green card) you don't have to pay the reciprocity fee. The fee varies by your country of citizenship. The amount is exactly the same as the US charges for a visa for Argentine citizens(the only difference is the Argentine has to pay it whether the visa is issued of not- the US national visiting Argentine is rarely, if ever refused entry but about half of the US visa requests are refused)...

You are correct. Citizens of the USA, Canada and Australia all pay but the amount varies and is based on the amount charged by the these countries for Argentina residents to apply for a Visa....

Archived