12 hour Layover in Dublin

I am flying from Boston to Barcelona and have a 12 hour layover in Dublin. I am hoping to hit the Temple Bar and other places in Dublin.

Can someone give me some info / pointers.

Thanks

We had a long Aer Lingus layover last year and made the most of it. I guess it all depends on what time your layover is. The airport, if I recall is a €25 to €30 euro ride to the city of Dublin. There are buses from the airport, which I think may be €12 round trip. The taxi ride will take 30-35 minutes or more depending on traffic. I'm not sure about the bus. I think there is a tour station on O'Connell St which sells tickets for Hop on Hop off buses as well as other tours. We were so tired that we decided on a relaxing morning ride to Powerscourt Gardens out near Wicklow Mountains before walking around Dublin, grabbing a beer and an early dinner at a pub. We loved Dublin and Ireland so much after our day there that we are looking forward to a British Isles cruise next year. Have a great time in Dublin. But plan carefully.

Thanks

1st thing... "Go B's"

Next, no issues with Immigration, I assume your are a US citizen.

Luggage, did the airline keep them for the next leg or did you need to check them at the holding place.

There is plenty of public transport right outside Terminal 1 at Dublin and most buses will pass through the city centre. Id avoid Temple Bar as its a little cliche and not really that authentic. If I was on your schedule I would probably visit St James gate (where Guiness is made) and to the tour there, its costs about €15 or a bit less if you book on-line. Its good fun and interesting stuff, at the end you will have a pint in the Gravity bar which has amazing views all over the city across the irish sea and right up to the wicklow mountains. When you leave here walk east and visit Dublinia and Christchurch cathedral, its a joint ticket and the Dublinia tour is all about medevial Dublin but its interactive with actors etc - good fun. Cathedral is amazing and very decorative. Grab a taxi outsie here and head to Trinity College (about 5 mins away) and visit the book of Kells. If you still have time take a walk around Grafton Street or St Stephens Green. Taxis are everywhere in Dublin (we have more here than NYC) but just bear in mind rush hour can be quite bad heading from the city centre to the airport. If your lay over means you will be here later in the evening then there are hundreds of pubs all around the City but I would suggest The Brazen Head which is the oldest pub in Dublin (its close to Christchurch), usually have live music aswell and the food is quite good. Taxi back to the airport will probably cost around €20 from the city centre depending on traffic.

Archived