Oxygen suggestions...help

valtandc

Taking Carnival out of New York City in June. Need an Oxygen concentrator for room and need to bring probably 2 smallish oxygen containers. Don't need 24 hours but do need lots.

suggestions to save money? Have a concentrator at home that is rented and paid by medicaid but not sure want to bring it in case it breaks, etc. however rental delivered is about $325.

thoughts? suggestions? thanks.

Taking Carnival out of New York City in June. Need an Oxygen concentrator for room and need to bring probably 2 smallish oxygen containers. Don't need 24 hours but do need lots.

suggestions to save money? Have a concentrator at home that is rented and paid by medicaid but not sure want to bring it in case it breaks, etc. however rental delivered is about $325.

My husband uses a portable oxygen concentrator that is supplied on loan from our oxygen supplier. We have to fly and it works great. Check your oxygen supplier and perhaps they will provide one for you to take along, that way you won't need any of the smaller oxygen containers. I think this is a common practice for those traveling with oxygen. Good luck.

I agree with Moz. Ask your provider if they have a Personal Oxygen Concentrator (POC) you can use on the trip. I'm not clear if the concentrator you have is a portable one or not, but if it isn't, then it wouldn't be easy to transport onto the ship. Ships usually do not allow you to bring oxygen bottles on board; too much of a fire risk. The POC is useful to take anywhere on the ship on battery power. I hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband has his own POC that we travel with; however, because we were afraid of being out at sea and having a machine malfunction, we rented a huge canister of liquid oxygen and the portable refillable carryabout units, as well as an electric oxygen concentrator for night time use from Carevacations.com. It was delivered to our Princess cruise ship in the Ft Lauderdale port and was ready and waiting for us when we arrived in our room. Left it in our room when we departed. They were great to work with. We didn't have an accessible room (he uses a scooter too) but we did book a minisuite so we'd have room for all the equipment.

I cruise with my concentrater and portable oxygen tanks. The tanks and concentrater go through with the luggage. The tanks are given to the Pursors desk and you call and ask them as you need them. Your Room Steward will deliver the new one and take you old one.

The concentrater comes up with the luggage. In my many cruises, I have never had a problem with the tanks or with my scooter for that matter. Make sure you take an extension and a power strip. Carry on the the ship, I don't know about flying, as I no longer fly...

Peaches, the constant cruiser

Some oxygen companies do not allow their travel units to be taken out of the country. I know mine does not. But they often know someone who might.

In addition to the delivered rentals, there are some companies that will deliver a portable unit to your home. I'm not sure on the price for those.

Archived