Miami for 2 days then Key West Q's

Embracedbylife

We will be in Miami for 2 days, then planning to drive to Key West early in the morning, spend the night there and the next afternoon head back to Miami.

Questions are:

Miami - what area is best for a 4 star hotel with a nice pool and a location where we could park a rental car and also have access to some nice beaches?

I've been reading a lot on the "priceline winning bids" board and also went to betterbidding dot com, but can't figure out the best location to bid on.

Does it sound doable to drive out to key west early morning and spend the overnight and then come back to Miami the next afternoon to spend a final night in Miami before flying out the following day? Any hotel suggestions for Key West? Thinking of bidding on priceline there also.

Does it sound doable to drive out to key west early morning and spend the overnight and then come back to Miami the next afternoon to spend a final night in Miami before flying out the following day? Any hotel suggestions for Key West?

Seems like alot of driving for less than 24 hours.... however, we stayed at the Doubletree which is alittle out of the main part of town but they provide almost continuous shuttle service to the downtown areas... nice hotel... good resturant...great pools...

The beaches are actually in Miami Beach, not Miami (two different cities) - and both downtown Miami and Miami Beach hotels will charge $25-30+ per day for parking. :eek:

You'd be beter off not renting a car until you are ready to leave for Key West. Check Blue Heron's blog (she is a regular contributor to these boards) for hotel, dining and nightlife advice.

While in KW do not miss the Cuban food at El Siboney - a great family run place I've been enjoying for more than 25 years. ;)

Good luck! :)

Go west to the the turnpike and take it all the way south on your way to Key West or you will be stuck in traffic for an hour south of I-95 before getting out of south Miami Dade County (the ride to Key West is easily 4 hrs without the traffic backup). In Key West we like to be very close to Sloppy Joes and Mallory Square. We like Garden House (cheap and clean), Ocean Key House, and Pier House. Down the other end the Best Western Hibiscus has good rates and though at least a mile it is still walking distance to downtown. I would not bid on Priceline for Key West, as you have a good chance of NOT being in walking distance to downtown and parking downtown is not easy to find.

Thanks so much everyone for your input! I really appreciate it. I'll look for Blue Heron's blog too! I think the drive down to Key West will be a pretty drive?? it looks amazing going through all those little islands and accross the bridge?

Our plans are: Arrive Wednesday night, spend Wed/Thurs nights at Miami Beach or other area (looking at either Coral Gables or South Beach Central right now but don't know if we shoudl also consider Miami North Beach, or near ocean drive?

Then Friday early morning head to Key West. Hope to arrive by 3pm or so after a leisurly drive (if there is such a thing). Spend the night exploring Key West, spend the night and return back to Miami either that afternoon or evening depending on what else there is do do on Saturday.

Saturday night spend the night back in Miami

Sunday spend the day in Miami before a flight home at 7pm.

Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks again!

Archived