Radisson Bahi Mar vs. Yankee Trader??

Olwyn

:confused: We are a family of 8 who want a hotel for one night pre-cruise and two nights post.

Can anyone give me their opinion as to which of these hotels might be nicer. We want easy access to the beach, and close to a Marina for yacht watching!

We are going to do 2 couples per room!

Any advice would be most appreciated!

Olwyn :)

They're both classic FLL hotels, personally I'd go for the Radisson, the beach is across the street and the marina is at your back door.

The Sheraton is soon to be undergoing major renovations and the say when it is finished it will be on par with the Marriott Harbour Beach. ;)

We havae stayed at the Radisson and is a very nice hotel. As bequia said it is right on the beach and the marina is on one side. Very good location.

Bequia have you heard when the Sheraton renovations will be finished. Next year(May) will be looking at hotels for FLL. Thanks

Marilyn

We havae stayed at the Radisson and is a very nice hotel. As bequia said it is right on the beach and the marina is on one side. Very good location.

Bequia have you heard when the Sheraton renovations will be finished. Next year(May) will be looking at hotels for FLL. Thanks

Marilyn

From an article in the Sun Sentinal:

At the Sheraton Yankee Trader & Clipper, a major redevelopment has been in the works for close to two years. A serious obstacle has been capital. The Gill family is seeking a partner to share costs, estimated at $35 million to $50 million.

Gill Hotels President Linda Gill declined to be interviewed, citing ongoing talks, but agreed to answer written questions. She said there are talks under way with several parties with differing strategies. "Our goal is to assure that our hotels remain premier properties," she wrote.

The 501-room Clipper was built in 1956, with the 460-room Trader added about a mile to the north in 1964. Gill said they have received about $3 million annually in routine upgrades, plus a $7 million renovation in 2001.

That money bought remodeled guest rooms, expanded function space at the Trader, built new ballrooms at the Clipper and enlarged gift shops and sports facilities. The Trader got a new restaurant, Shula's on the Beach, in 1996.

While some guests praise the hotels, others say an overhaul is overdue. Richard Christiansen, creative director at a New York magazine, stayed at the Clipper for a conference earlier this month and found its musty and dark interior "very depressing." "Sheraton needs to throw some money into this hotel, " Christiansen said. "It really needs a face-lift."

From what I understand, Starwood purchased a 49% stake in the hotel with plans to renovate. I have not seen any construction start or end dates in the news.

Thanks Bequia: It sounds like they are always going to do some renovations. You just never know when they will get started or what. O.K. I will keep that in mind and also look elsewhere. Again thanks.

Marilyn

Archived