Grenada excursions

cheapskate2

We are cruising again to the Caribbean in February next year and have been to Grenada before, which we loved. I can't quite remember where we docked before, but is it potentially within walking distance of the Carenage? Has anyone toured independently when in port and what was their favourite excursion - independent or with P&O?

We went to Grenada last year and because we hadnt booked a trip with P&O we just got off the ship and thought we'd wander ourselves. To be honest I'd never do it again! We were totally harrassed from the moment we left the port shopping area. We've often found the Caribbean and Mexico to be very proactive in selling trips to the tourists(reminiscent of Timeshare sellers in the '90s in Tenerife!) but in Granada we honestly felt intimidated. This one guy followed us for quite a way and was aggressive in his attitude. would go with a P&O trip if we called here again!

Thanks to all who replied. I think I am a bit long in the tooth for river tubing, but I had looked at the rhum runner. We had thought just to walk into town this time, but the last comments have put me off slightly. When we called into Mexico on an earlier cruise, our friends went out on their own and were pursued down the street by hordes of begging children, and I remember how shaken up they were. Thanks for all the tips. I think I'll stick to P&O excursions!!

Be under no illusions the Rhum Runner is a booze cruise but very enjoyable.

Starts off with a cruise around the harbour with commentary then past Grand Anse and around the point to the much quieter beach of Morne Rouge where they stop for about an hour before the return trip to the port. There is lots of drink included and it is much noisier coming back !!

We went with a bit of trepidation but really enjoyed it and the beach stop was really good.

We are cruising again to the Caribbean in February next year and have been to Grenada before, which we loved. I can't quite remember where we docked before, but is it potentially within walking distance of the Carenage? Has anyone toured independently when in port and what was their favourite excursion - independent or with P&O?

We just came back from a cruise that stopped at Grenada and I highly recommend Native Spirit Scuba if you are interesed in snorkeling or diving. We stopped at 3 places to snorkel, including the underwater sculpture park. Native Spirit Scuba was excellent to deal with, very accomodating, very knowledgeable. I would use them again in a heart beat!

We took my mum and dad river tubing on Grenada when she was 77 and he was 79. They coped fine and we all enjoyed it, it was good fun.

Last year we went on the "Starwinds" catamaran snorkel trip which was good and finished with a stop at Grand Anse beach. Rather than going back to the jetty with the excursion we stayed here for lunch and took the water taxi back to the ship ($4 each).

Previously we have been on a ship's "Rainforest walk", very interesting to see and taste the spices such as cinnamon straight off the tree.

My 19 year old nephew went on the Rhum Runner but couldn't cope with the strong rum punch. There was a pay bar for other drinks but he hadn't taken any cash so came back disappointingly sober!

The new cruise terminal has lots of good shops in it. I stocked up on coffee and cocoa to bring home, Paul bought a Tag watch and we bought some spiced rum for our son.

Carol x

Depends on how long you are in port. If you don't want to book anything with the ship, just go into the port building and many different tours are gathering clients, just ask for the type of tour you fancy and you will be directed to a mini bus. We did a tour including spice shop, waterfall, lake and fort. Really interesting. Then still had time to walk through the tunel to the carenage for some crab back at BB's crab shack. There is no footpath in the tunnel just keep to the wall, it is a bit scarry at first. If you have a lap top, the crew all gather to use the free wi fi in the port terminal. We did not find the locals intimidating at all. They were just trying to earn a few dollars and we really happy to chat. What ever you choose it is all good, hope you enjoy as much as we did.

We have been to Grenada twice and the first time we did an island tour in a taxi ending up at Grsand Anse beach and the second time we just got a taxi straight to Grand Anse beach. Both times we arranged with the taxi driver for a time to pick us up and he was there waiting for us in the carpark by the beach, right on time. I am not very mobile myself and a part time wheelchair user so many of the other activities and tours I cannot do, so it was easy to go and lay on the beach where you have all the facilities and the local hotels come and take food and drink orders from you.

We were in Grenada in Feb this year and spent the day at the Grenada Grand Beach Resort on Grand Anse - it was amazing the pool was out of this world and we were only a few steps away from Grand Anse but had the facilities of the hotel to use if we wanted.

Be under no illusions the Rhum Runner is a booze cruise but very enjoyable.

Starts off with a cruise around the harbour with commentary then past Grand Anse and around the point to the much quieter beach of Morne Rouge where they stop for about an hour before the return trip to the port. There is lots of drink included and it is much noisier coming back !!

We went with a bit of trepidation but really enjoyed it and the beach stop was really good.

Lol we've done it about 5 times. we've had a great time every time. Its fun and you get to meet alot of other people from the cruise.

They also give you a tour and let you know the history of the grenadines ...... not that i remember any of it due to drinking copious amounts of paint stripper xx or was it rum ?xx

sarar - hi - no we flew to and from Barbados - my husband is a farmer so we can only cruise in the winter - as much as I would love to drive 15 mins down the road to the port and hop on the ship, we're a bit limited to the cruises available from Southampton in the winter so we always fly to the sun and either cruise out of the USA with RCI or this year straight to Barbados on our 1st P&O cruise.

This year was our first cruise from Southampton and it was lovely as we only live a short distance away and not having the flights was lovely too. We did P&O Azura to Spain, Portugal and France. From 2012 they will start cruising out of Portsmouth too which is even nearer for us, but I think it will mainly be the smaller more elite ships.

We went to Grenada last year and because we hadnt booked a trip with P&O we just got off the ship and thought we'd wander ourselves. To be honest I'd never do it again! We were totally harrassed from the moment we left the port shopping area. We've often found the Caribbean and Mexico to be very proactive in selling trips to the tourists(reminiscent of Timeshare sellers in the '90s in Tenerife!) but in Granada we honestly felt intimidated. This one guy followed us for quite a way and was aggressive in his attitude. would go with a P&O trip if we called here again!

Grenada has lots of drivers touting for tours. I just tell them I've been to the island before so we're just "liming" (chilling out) today, but "thanks for asking me, I really appeciate it."

Always goes down well with lots of smiley teeth displayed and them wishing us a good time on the island. Seems to work all around the Caribbean.

Archived