Should I choose RCL-EOS or Cel.Summit?

acmes

I'm a total newbie when it comes to cruises. My 10 year-old DD has been asking for a cruise for a while now (thanks to Zack and Cody). Normally, we do somewhat exotic, self-styled vacations, but I'm planning to surprise her with a cruise for her 11th birthday. We live in the NYC area, so I figure we'll sail from there and I thought Bermuda would make a nice destination for late July. I originally targeted RCL-EOS, in part because of it's kids' reputation, but it has a short sailing time). Then I found the Celebrity Summit trip which I like for the following reasons:

1) ship seems more elegant though both ships are a bit worn

2) almost 3 full days in Bermuda vs. 1.5

3) Sunday departure

4) 2 days at sea each way, so my daughter gets the feel of it.

5) I booked a really nice aft veranda cabin

But RCL has the ice skating show and the rock-climbing wall. To be honest, my dd would probably prefer a Disney trip (thanks Zack and Cody), but I want to avoid flying, the price is so much higher and the destination (bahamas in July) is not so great. This is a surprise so I'm not sure I want to involve her in the decision. We're really looking for Mom & Me time. She's a quiet girl who enjoys art projects and swimming in the pool--not super athletic.

Should I stop second-guessing myself?:confused:

I can guarantee you and your family will like Celebrity Summit. It's my favorite cruise line and my son loves the "Fun Factory", which has the best staff at sea and the kids never want to leave.

My favorite vessels are the Millenium class Celebrity ships. I am doing the Celebrity Summit in August with my 10 year old. The only downside is the pools are saltwater but this isn't enough to bother my son. He likes Fun Factory better than Adventure Ocean.

I did Royal Independence of the Seas and it was really like a shopping mall at sea for me. We had fun, we always do but I didn't like it as much as Celebrity.

We sailed Explorer last Summer only because my boys are smaller so we wanted a shorter cruise. Our personal experience is it was better for us to have less sea days but we have two very active boys LOL EOS was a nice ship with lots to do and I wouldn't describe it as worn :) We were interested in the fact they had ice skating but in the end, didn't get around to it. There are scheduled times and we always seemed to be elsewhere. The rock climbing wall usually had a line long before the scheduled time. If we had to do over again, I would choose 3 days in Bermuda!

You will not be disapointed with the Summit. We went on her last year and had a blast. So much so that we booked her again and our taking our 4 children with us.

I agree RCI EOS does seem to have more activities but in my opinion to pay almost the same price for 1 1/2 days in Bermuda compared to 3 on Celebrity is crazy :eek: We were only there for 2 days last year and it wasnt enough!

I'm a total newbie when it comes to cruises. My 10 year-old DD has been asking for a cruise for a while now (thanks to Zack and Cody). Normally, we do somewhat exotic, self-styled vacations, but I'm planning to surprise her with a cruise for her 11th birthday. We live in the NYC area, so I figure we'll sail from there and I thought Bermuda would make a nice destination for late July. I originally targeted RCL-EOS, in part because of it's kids' reputation, but it has a short sailing time). Then I found the Celebrity Summit trip which I like for the following reasons:

1) ship seems more elegant though both ships are a bit worn

2) almost 3 full days in Bermuda vs. 1.5

3) Sunday departure

4) 2 days at sea each way, so my daughter gets the feel of it.

5) I booked a really nice aft veranda cabin

But RCL has the ice skating show and the rock-climbing wall. To be honest, my dd would probably prefer a Disney trip (thanks Zack and Cody), but I want to avoid flying, the price is so much higher and the destination (bahamas in July) is not so great. This is a surprise so I'm not sure I want to involve her in the decision. We're really looking for Mom & Me time. She's a quiet girl who enjoys art projects and swimming in the pool--not super athletic.

Should I stop second-guessing myself?:confused:

As you have noted, Royal Caribbean is more family oriented then Celebrity. Thus the Royal Caribbean ship will be more kid friendly. However, I do have one bit of advise - set a time limit (say the end of the month), make your decision and then don't look back. Otherwise you will drive yourself crazy.

And the money is due next month too! I've been pouring over these boards and I think my daughter and I would prefer the lower-key aspects of Celebrity. I think she'd be turned off by long-lines. And while she is a kid, she doesn't like things to be too wild and crazy. On the other hand, she is a bit influenced by commercials showing water-slides not too mention the weekly dose of Zack and Cody. I think that shorter sailing time on RCL also means that things like rock-climbing and skating, just don't happen or everyone is urgently trying to make them happen. And I did notice that the price is virtually the same for a shorter time. Looking forward to Bermuda too. She's never been and I think she'll enjoy the pink sand and pastel houses.

Just so I'm prepared...what are the issues with saltwater pools? She's accustomed to swimming in salt-water and always wears goggles. Are they colder?

Thanks to all for your expertise!

And the money is due next month too! I've been pouring over these boards and I think my daughter and I would prefer the lower-key aspects of Celebrity. I think she'd be turned off by long-lines. And while she is a kid, she doesn't like things to be too wild and crazy. On the other hand, she is a bit influenced by commercials showing water-slides not too mention the weekly dose of Zack and Cody. I think that shorter sailing time on RCL also means that things like rock-climbing and skating, just don't happen or everyone is urgently trying to make them happen. And I did notice that the price is virtually the same for a shorter time. Looking forward to Bermuda too. She's never been and I think she'll enjoy the pink sand and pastel houses.

Just so I'm prepared...what are the issues with saltwater pools? She's accustomed to swimming in salt-water and always wears goggles. Are they colder?

Basically your only issue is whether you want a day in Bermuda or 3. The long line thing you describe/fear is not a factor because it is not an issue on either ship. The Explorer is the better ship from a kids standpoint and the Celebrity is the better ship for the adult. As far as pink sand goes....never really seen a difference to tell you the truth.

Bermuda is fantastic!!! You will most definitely want 3 days there.

No the saltwater pools are not colder and you float better in them. He just doesn't like the taste but this isn't a deal breaker for us but might be to others.

As for Celebrity there will be lots of kids onboard. I'd guess between 300-500 kids. So don't worry about that.

Celebrity is just more luxurious than Royal. Its a different vibe. Cabins are similar but the rest of the ship is low key and its more classical music than pop music.

Kids love it. Don't worry. Now with 18-21 that a tough age because there aren't as many activities specific to this age.

Archived