renting car from Southampton to Heathrow

We do not fly home until the day after our cruise ends and would like to rent a car and drive leisurely from Southampton to Heathrow(staying at the Holiday Inn M4/Junction4). Any of you have experience doing this? Want to make a stop in Winchester and then have plenty of time to safely get to Heathrow before dark. Those roundabouts scare me but slow and steady will be the words of the day!!!

Thanks for any help with this. Hope it will be possible. We will be driving on a Sunday(May 22).

Dottie:):):)

Nothing wrong with this per se, but your problem is picking up the car. All the city and dockside agencies are closed on Sunday, so you would have to cab out to Southampton airport to pick up (about a £15 cab ride if memory serves!). Try and do your timings on the online form so you pay for only one day (eg pick up 1100, drop off 1100). I normally do this and usually get away with being an hour or two early or late. Roundabouts are a way of life over here. Just remember, once you have decided to go; go. Don't hang about or you will be rear ended by the car behind!

Simon

PS Sunset is just before 9pm, so you should be at the hotel before dark!

Hi. Is your hotel booked? It just seems a shame to have booked something on the M4 when you'll be on the M3 visiting Winchester...

If you're interested in Jane Austen, do visit her home in Chawton, 20 mins outside Winchester which is now an interesting museum dedicated to her.

We will be driving on a Sunday(May 22).

Dottie

You sure can pick 'em Dottie. :rolleyes:

There's a park&ride service in Winchester :)

But not on a sunday :D

But then traffic is light & parking easy on a sunday.

Don't worry too much about roundabouts *

Usually the guy on your right (already on the roundabout) has priority, but who has priority is always clearly signed. Just think - once you are on the roundabout you can go round & round for hours without stopping because you have right-of-way. ;)

Anyway, if you're driving Southampton to Heathrow the boring way (M3) you'll only see roundabouts at either end - and in Winchester.

John Bull

* except in Swindon or Hemel Hempstead, where they have "magic roundabouts". Roundabouts within a big roundabout. Even the locals fear them :D

* except in Swindon or Hemel Hempstead, where they have "magic roundabouts". Roundabouts within a big roundabout. Even the locals fear them :D

I remember a set of back2back2back mini-roundabouts somewhere near Surbiton that my great-uncle referred to as the "Scilly Isles"; definitely to be avoided

Yep, found it on the map, right by Sandown Park racetrack

I have used enterprise rentals to and from Southampton in the past and have been pleased. Being a Sunday only the Airport location will be open and they don't pick you up so it's a taxi ride to the airport.

I will be sailing on the Crown on Sunay 22nd so be sure to leave it in good shape, it's a shame I can't just hand over the enterprise rental that I will be dropping off at the airport Sunday morning.

Hope you enjoy your drive, don't forget to take your GPS along with you.

Ken

I am doing the reverse drive - from Heathrow to Southampton. Don't worry about the driving. It's not too bad once you get the hang of it. I would recommend that you get an automatic instead of a manual. It will just make things easier.

Roundabout Hint - Count your exit before getting in. Then just count to find out when to leave the roundabout.

Archived