Child Consent Form Ex not signing

Cruzin_Susan

My daughter and grandson went on a cruise with us in Dec. We had a notarized letter from his dad giving his permission. My daughter kept her maiden name and my grandson has his dad's name. When checking in at the port (Cape Liberty in NJ) after presenting them with the notarized letter, the agent said to my grandson "Who is this woman". She said she needed to have him verify she was his mom.

Do you have the same last name?

My daughter and grandson went on a cruise with us in Dec. We had a notarized letter from his dad giving his permission. My daughter kept her maiden name and my grandson has his dad's name. When checking in at the port (Cape Liberty in NJ) after presenting them with the notarized letter, the agent said to my grandson "Who is this woman". She said she needed to have him verify she was his mom.

Do you have the same last name?

We still share the same last name. Did the ask you for the letter? Or did your daughter have it out for them and they didn't need to ask? I have what I need now travel with her. We should be ok.

Whatever you do, if you attempt on going without the ex-'s consent, make sure he cannot use the trip as leverage in the "divorce" game.

I don't have any direct experience in your issue, and although my sister had gone through a separation, her ex- dropped off the face of the earth.

After being several thousands of dollars behind in child support, and zero contact with the guy... she hired a private investigator to attempt to find him because her new husband wanted to adopt and change the child's last name.

After proving that they made extraordinary attempts to find X to the court, they were able to go through the system to remove custody from X and the whole nine yards... so she really never had the issues you're having.

I don't mean to hijack your thread. But I have a very similar question. My ex has not been responding to me at all when I asked for him to sign a letter. The last time we went to court for custody I had the custody paper include a part about travel and it says that either parent is allowed to travel outside the country with the child. So I am wondering if that is all they need to see. Also my DD is 15 yrs old. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Hi,

I need some input on a trip I want to take with my grandaughter who is 15 and will be 16 in Aug, I want to take her on a 1 day cruise out of canada and back to U.S. for a special Birthday gift, just the two of us. My daughter is divorce from her dad and has documents that says she has sole right of signing for passports and school and medical things. He wont sign for her to go on this trip, and my grandaughter is heart broken. My daughter said that she will send the parenting plan from the court and sign her perrmission paper for her to go. Will this be okay for her to go without his signature..

Help need advice

Hi,

I need some input on a trip I want to take with my grandaughter who is 15 and will be 16 in Aug, I want to take her on a 1 day cruise out of canada and back to U.S. for a special Birthday gift, just the two of us. My daughter is divorce from her dad and has documents that says she has sole right of signing for passports and school and medical things. He wont sign for her to go on this trip, and my grandaughter is heart broken. My daughter said that she will send the parenting plan from the court and sign her perrmission paper for her to go. Will this be okay for her to go without his signature..

Help need advice

If the divorce papers say that she has sole custody then you will be ok. Any trips going in and out of Canada from what I have read seem to be pretty strict about this issue.

I just got back from my cruise out of port canaveral and they never asked to see a consent form. At the last minute before she handed me our sea pass cards she asked if I had the fathers consent to travel out of the country. Never asked to see the consent form. I had a consent form to show them but not that he signed it. He wouldn't sign it. I had to be creative. ;)

I think its ashame that fathers specially no show fathers will be that way.

Hi,

Help need advice

Sounds as if your daughter does not have sole custody of her daughter. The rights you describe are not the same as sole custody. If this is the case, the dad needs to sign a notarized permission to travel letter, along with mom. IME, Canada is very strict and I have always been asked for this letter when traveling alone.

If you can't get his signature, your daughter can file a motion with the court to get permission for your grandaughter to go with you. Most courts have a free family law advisor who will help with the paperwork.

I just got back from my cruise out of port canaveral and they never asked to see a consent form. At the last minute before she handed me our sea pass cards she asked if I had the fathers consent to travel out of the country. Never asked to see the consent form. I had a consent form to show them but not that he signed it. He wouldn't sign it. I had to be creative. ;)

I think its ashame that fathers specially no show fathers will be that way.

You were lucky, as these letters need to be notarized and I don't know any notary that will risk commiting a crime to notarize a letter without the correct documentation. It is a shame that these dads won't sign, but they don't fulfil any other obligations, so it's no surprise.

You were lucky, as these letters need to be notarized and I don't know any notary that will risk commiting a crime to notarize a letter without the correct documentation. It is a shame that these dads won't sign, but they don't fulfil any other obligations, so it's no surprise.

I won't go into details as to what I did but it was notarized. I am not proud of what I had to do but it did not involve the person who notarized it. To go back to court so that the papers will say sole custody will cost 2000 that I would rather spend on vacations or on my daughter.

We had a similar situation with our last cruise. My dh had been planning on taking his kids from a previous marriage for about a year. His ex was given plenty of notice about needing the letter. She gave her permission to have the kids go on the trip, but just refused to get the letter done. We asked for it months in advance just to make sure that they had it and we didn't have to do anything last minute. We didn't get the letter until the day we left!

On the other hand, even though it was a Dad taking kids that he doesn't have custody of to MEXICO- the letter was never asked for!

On the other hand, even though it was a Dad taking kids that he doesn't have custody of to MEXICO- the letter was never asked for!

Do you all have the same last name? If so, I am guessing this is why you were never asked; they just assumed you were this child's mom.

More than likely because you were a couple no one did ask for it. They should have but there wasn't a red flag. As I have said before, my son and I have cruised together and we have different last names and have only been asked for documentation twice out of 20 cruises!

Having said that- I suspect that only cruises that go to Mexico and Canada where you have to do this. Mexico and Canada have child abduction laws in place. These may have started because of child trafficing as well as parents abducting children. So I understand why they want this documentation.

Archived