Can I be bounced from a disabled suite

acmes

I'm a newbie and am considering booking a mini-suite (aft) on the GEM. It's listed as disability. I seem to recall hearing that some cruise lines will "move" you in favor of a disabled passenger if nothing else is available. I'm really interested in having an aft cabin and there aren't many left, but I don't want to be bounced elsewhere and have no choices left at the last minute.

I'm a newbie and am considering booking a mini-suite (aft) on the GEM. It's listed as disability. I seem to recall hearing that some cruise lines will "move" you in favor of a disabled passenger if nothing else is available. I'm really interested in having an aft cabin and there aren't many left, but I don't want to be bounced elsewhere and have no choices left at the last minute.

I do believe you can be. Not sure it happens often but I think it does happen. This is a touchy subject so I will leave it at that!:o

You have brought up a very sensitive issue and I expect you will receive MANY responses. I am disabled and use an accessible cabin when cruising. They are few and often difficult to secure unless booked well in advance.

NCL reserves accessible cabins for individuals who NEED them. Although the cabin may show as 'available' when you look online, NCL will definitely ask if you are disabled/traveling with a wheelchair etc. In the event that you do book an accessible cabin, you need to know that you could be moved to a regular cabin if the accessible cabin is required by some who NEEDS it. In the cruising community, it is considered inconsiderate, inappropriate and bad etiquette to book an accessible cabin if you do not require one, and frequently will elicit much negative feedback. It is viewed in the same way as using a disabled parking space when you are not disabled.

Book a cabin elsewhere on the ship and leave that cabin for someone who needs it. You say there are others left so pick one of those. That way you will not get moved when a disabled cruiser needs it.

NCL does have the right to bump you out of this room - in fact it can happen all the way t boarding. They will move you to a same level room, but as part of the AWDA, they have to have a certain amounts of disabled rooms per ship and also per level of cabin.

There is no contract, even after you pay, read the T & C's you would be surprised.

I really think if you book a cabin you are entitled to that cabin. Just because someone is disabled doesn't mean they can waltz along 3 weeks before final payment is due and get an AFT balcony mini suite, something that is sure to sell out well before that time.

To the parking lot comment. If the store sold me rights to use the handicapped spot months in advance then yes I am entitled to park there.

I really think if you book a cabin you are entitled to that cabin. Just because someone is disabled doesn't mean they can waltz along 3 weeks before final payment is due and get an AFT balcony mini suite, something that is sure to sell out well before that time.

To the parking lot comment. If the store sold me rights to use the handicapped spot months in advance then yes I am entitled to park there.

Sad, but a couple of valid points.

Having lots of experience with disabilities it is quite common knowledge that hotels, cruises etc have limited space and if you wait to late to book, the chance is you may not have something available for your special need.

On the flip side of that coin I would say OP if you have other options that meet your needs, I think it would be just curtesy to choose another.

Just curious OP, if you say there aren't "many" afts left, why would you want to book this one instead of one that isn't a disabled.

People, this person say's they are a cruise newbie, so please take it ez on him/her.

I'm curious, did you book this room through a online website, through a local travel agent, or through NCL themselves?

If it was through a travel agent or NCL, then you would think that would be a question they would have asked you, "Do you want a handicap room"? But I don't think NCL would "move" you per se, but they may try to "upsell" you, if the room became readily needed.

, but as part of the AWDA, they have to have a certain amounts of disabled rooms per ship

The AWDA has NO juristiction over a vessle that is registered in another country, even if they "port" in the U.S.A, or even cruise out of it all year long. It falls under that countries laws.

I just telephoned NCL to confirm my understanding of their policy on this matter. The following are the current FACTS:

NCL discourages able-bodied passengers from booking accessible cabins.

NCL will not prevent able-bodied passengers from booking accessible cabins.

NCL WILL DEFINITELY move an able-bodied passenger from an accessible cabin at any time, including on board, if a disabled passenger requires the accessible cabin.

NCL said that they make every effort to ensure that all of their guests are satisfied, however, on this particular issue, it has become necessary for them to weigh the disappointment/upset of the able-bodied passenger against the real needs of the disabled passenger. It is now their firm policy that the able-bodied passenger WILL DEFINITELY be moved if a disabled passenger needs the accessible cabin.

I have always loved cruising on NCL and have found NCL staff to be very considerate and helpful with regard to my disability and special needs. This new firm policy speaks clearly to their commitment to meet the needs of their passengers.

Good for you NCL!

The AWDA has NO juristiction over a vessle that is registered in another country, even if they "port" in the U.S.A, or even cruise out of it all year long. It falls under that countries laws.

And so do the drinking age laws BUT the cruise lines choose to adjust to American laws when departing from American Home Ports. Maybe they should adapt to AWDA too?

To the OP, we all have to make our own decisions that we are comfortable to live with. I just booked a cabin a year away on the NCL Star. The handicap cabin next door is available and for a moment I considered it as the extra space would be wonderful. Then I asked myself, would I be happy taking the space knowing I didn't need it? the answer was no. I want to sleep well on my cruise so would never book a handicap cabin unless I really needed it.

Others may chose to do so but I would not.

I just telephoned NCL to confirm my understanding of their policy on this matter. The following are the current FACTS:

NCL discourages able-bodied passengers from booking accessible cabins.

NCL will not prevent able-bodied passengers from booking accessible cabins.

NCL WILL DEFINITELY move an able-bodied passenger from an accessible cabin at any time, including on board, if a disabled passenger requires the accessible cabin.

NCL said that they make every effort to ensure that all of their guests are satisfied, however, on this particular issue, it has become necessary for them to weigh the disappointment/upset of the able-bodied passenger against the real needs of the disabled passenger. It is now their firm policy that the able-bodied passenger WILL DEFINITELY be moved if a disabled passenger needs the accessible cabin.

I have always loved cruising on NCL and have found NCL staff to be very considerate and helpful with regard to my disability and special needs. This new firm policy speaks clearly to their commitment to meet the needs of their passengers.

Good for you NCL!

I have no problem with this if NCL is willing to upgrade me to a comparable room at no extra charge. IE if I'm in an AFT mini suite, they better looks like bumping me up to a full suite.

I also wonder how it works with room types, can someone who is disabled request that someone be moved out of an AFT balcony when there are accessible rooms that have able bodied people in them on the inside cabins?

just my thoughts.. NCL should block out the handicapped rooms till lets say 2 weeks b4 the cruise sails then allow those rooms to be sold.. to anybody.. Who keep the day b4 the cruise someone stealing a handicapped mini suit just because they could.. or someone booking a handicapped mini suit and even if they are not handicapped just because they could.. im totally for helping out the handicapped at all times!! no matter what.. but to allow a room to be switched the day of or during a cruise is not fair for the other paxs who worked and paid for the room..

I have no problem with this if NCL is willing to upgrade me to a comparable room at no extra charge. IE if I'm in an AFT mini suite, they better looks like bumping me up to a full suite.

I also wonder how it works with room types, can someone who is disabled request that someone be moved out of an AFT balcony when there are accessible rooms that have able bodied people in them on the inside cabins?

All these 'unknowns' are the risks that an able-bodied person takes when they ignore NCL discouraging them from booking accessible cabins, and when they are told that they WILL be moved if a disabled person requires the accessible cabin.

I highly doubt that such a move would lead to the able-bodied person getting an upgrade to a higher category cabin because that would lead to the masses booking accessible cabins in hopes of being upgraded to a higher category.

It is more likely that NCL will move the able-bodied passenger to another cabin in the same category, or perhaps provide a credit for the slight price difference if, for example, the able-bodied person was moved from an aft to a side balcony cabin.

Bottom line is that an able-bodied person who books an accessible cabin against the advice of NCL, will have been informed that they WILL be moved if a disabled person requires the accessible cabin. They would be knowingly taking the risk and would be in no position to complain if required to do so.

We are booked in a accesible cabin for a cruise in May and use them with every cruise. Lately NCL is contacting us before the cruise for info on the help we may need and assistance or special equipment tat we may need. I am using a walker and our DD is in a wheelchair. I think if you don't need it...don't book it.

I know for a fact that a lot of cruise lines request some form of confirmation from an MD that you are indeed handicapped!!! There are not that many handicapped cabins onboard and you should consider looking for another cabin!

The store does own the handicapped spot so they cannot sell it to you or anyone else.

There is a big difference between want and need.

For instance, I just went on a Carnival cruise and I decided last minute. I like suites. They were all sold out. Had to settle for an outside. I had several classes to decide on. Now, if someone in a wheelchair came along and those accessible rooms were all sold old... They would not be able to choose another room. No they would not be able to book anything.

Can't you put yourself in their shoes?

We are booked in a accesible cabin for a cruise in May and use them with every cruise. Lately NCL is contacting us before the cruise for info on the help we may need and assistance or special equipment tat we may need. I am using a walker and our DD is in a wheelchair. I think if you don't need it...don't book it.

They are going to take very good care of you! Enjoy your cruise! I believe that NCL has updated their approach to meeting the needs of disabled passengers. There is a lot of information on their website about this, but below is a small piece of information from that page.

Special Assistance Coordinators Before and During Your Cruise

Learn how NCL has a dedicated team of seasoned travel professionals specifically trained to assist you with your specific requirements from reserving your stateroom through your cruise.

Special Assistance Coordinators Before and During Your Cruise

NCL has a dedicated team of experienced professionals who are available to assist guests with disabilities and other challenges before, during and even after your cruise.

The Access Desk

Within our Reservations Department, an exclusive team of seasoned professionals operate to help facilitate your travel via our dedicated toll free number for accessible travel (1-866-584-9756 (voice)). Specially trained in NCL's policies and procedures, after receiving your Special Accommodation Requirements Information form, they document your reservation with information concerning your service requests to help prepare our cruise staff for your vacation. A member of the Access Desk will speak with you about each and every aspect of your cruise from transportation to and from the vessel to shore excursions, your stateroom and any other expectation or need that you may have.

Onboard

Once you have boarded, you will be met by staff who will have all of the information that you conveyed to NCL either directly or through your travel professional. Staff will be available throughout your cruise to see to your needs. NCL is in the process of rolling out a new program to have Access Officers on board every vessel who will be the primary go to person for all of your needs during your cruise. NCL also has a centralized internal corporate resolution staff to assist the Access Officer, available by telephone 24 hours a day.

Reminder I have already suggested to the OP that being as there is more than one cabin in their category and location on the ship they want that they leave the disabled cabin and pick one of the others.

I have had a lot of experience dealing with disabilities. I was a traveling companion for my grandmother (use of wheeled walker), my father (use of cane and eventually walker), my mother (confined to a wheelchair for 20 years), up till the day they all passed away. So I am very aware of the difficulties in traveling all over the country with accessibility issues.

But in some of these posts instead of hearing pleas for consideration or empathy, I am hearing a tone of entitlement. So I’m curious.

Scenerio. The only cabins left on a ship are 1 - disabled balcony, 2 – oceanview (1 – disabled and 1 regular) and many inside for both. I am an able-bodied couple who wish a balcony cabin. Do I book the only one left or leave it just in case someone disabled books after me and wants it and lower my wishes.

Archived