Another Butler Question

gordons4

Okay, this butler thing is a bit overwhelming to me, but I'm told we need to take full advantage of the suite amenities since we're paying for them. (Truly, we just wanted an aft cabin...they just happen to be suites. :D)

I've read that the butler will serve breakfast, lunch and dinner on the balcony, does that mean we order all room service through the butler, or do we use "regular" room service for things like a croissant and fruit in the morning? Also, we always tip the guy who brings room service, but do we not tip the butler when he brings food since we're paying extra gratuities?

A little butler etiquette would be greatly appreciated. :)

Sheri

You will be surprised at how incredibly nice it is to have a butler. If he is available, he will meet you on the pier at checkin and take your carryon bags for you and lead you to your suite. If your butler is not available, usually another butler will perform this duty.

You order all room service and alchohol through your butler and he delivers it and sets it up for you. On Celebrity, the butler will bring you a nightly snack and if you don't want the random canape's of the day, you can tell you butler what you would prefer to have instead - such as boiled shrimp and a fruit and cheese plate or whatever you fancy. They deliver this stuff around 4 or 5pm each day. Just tell your butler in advance what you want so that he can pick it up along with the food for the other suites he is serving.

You tip your butler at the end of the cruise. The recommended tip is $3.50 per person per day, however, I usually keep track of what I have the butler do for us and I add additional tips on top of that. For example, if I host a party in our suite, I'll figure out how much the food and drink would be worth and give the butler at least a 20% tip on that at the end of the cruise. Butlers love to do parties because they make extra money from parties. They will pose for photos with your guests (for example, pouring wine for them). The butler may bartend if he has the time (ie, he is not running multiple parties simultaneously) and after the party is over, you call him and he comes and clears away everything.

The butler can also assist you with expedited laundry service, time permitting he may assist with packing and unpacking. Some butlers will draw you a bubble bath, if you request it or sprinkle your bed with rose petals if you are celebrating an anniversary or special occaision. If you need that night's MDR menu they will get one for you or the concierge may provide an entire set of MDR menus for your entire cruise to the butler for your use.

Archived