NY'ers does this make sense?

tricy99

I was orginally driving from Cleveland a day before the cruise to see NY with my family. To decrease the cost of hotels we reserved a room (1) night at Homewood Suites, NJ. We decided to drive and park at the pier :eek: (Carnival Glory).

Now: Amtrak has a special...Kids ride free. If we decide to take the train, we will cut out the price to park but have to pay another nights hotel (due to the time the train arrives).

My question to you CC, How close is the Amtrak station (Penn Station) to Homewood or is there another train station closer?

Next question: Would it make better sense to just stay closer to the pier, considering, we wanted to sightsee NY? We will arrive on Friday night, so not much planned. Saturday, we would like to sight see and Sunday we board!

Please help me as I am in a state of distress :confused:, NY is a big complicated city and I need some expert advise:)

Thanks in advance! Any and all ideas are welcomed!

Now: Amtrak has a special...Kids ride free. If we decide to take the train, we will cut out the price to park but have to pay another nights hotel (due to the time the train arrives).

My question to you CC, How close is the Amtrak station (Penn Station) to Homewood or is there another train station closer?

Next question: Would it make better sense to just stay closer to the pier, considering, we wanted to sightsee NY? We will arrive on Friday night, so not much planned. Saturday, we would like to sight see and Sunday we board!

Please help me as I am in a state of distress :confused:, NY is a big complicated city and I need some expert advise:)

Thanks in advance! Any and all ideas are welcomed!

My personal opinion is I would take the train and spend the extra night. Spend your nights in Manhattan if you want to sightsee there.

You can hotwire a room for four, you can eat pizza, take the subway, etc.

NYC is only expensive if you stick to tourist areas and Time Square restaurants.

Are you 4 people? How old are your children? Can you manage your luggage? What were you going to spend at Homewood Suites and what is your NY hotel budget?

Of course you want to stay in Manhattan, but sometimes that is cost prohibitive. On Hotwire Midtown hotels are showing in the $215 range. On hotwire I'm also seeing a 4* hotel in the Hoboken/Jersey City area for $131 for 6/3-6/4 that is likely to be the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel. Very very nice and right across the river near the Lincoln Tunnel entrance - minutes by bus through the tunnel to Port Authority. However, you would have to take a cab from Grand Central to Port Authority and then the bus to NJ with your luggage and then back again unless you spend money on a car service ($40 range???).

Are you 4 people? Yes How old are your children? Ages 13 and 9

Can you manage your luggage? Yes

What were you going to spend at Homewood Suites and what is your NY hotel budget? Good question, Homewood is $160, I really havent thought too much of a NY budget...we will have almost a 13 hr train ride on Friday. We are due to report to Penn Station late Friday evening, so actually, we will probably just grab a bite to eat and then rest...sightseeing will only take place on Sat...with that being said, how far is Penn station to Homewood? Should I take the train closer to Homewood? On departure, we will disembark the Carnival Glory around 8ish....our train is scheduled to leave at 3:45pm from Penn Station...I am so confused...should I schedule my return from NY but my arrival near homewood?

Of course you want to stay in Manhattan, but sometimes that is cost prohibitive. On Hotwire Midtown hotels are showing in the $215 range. On hotwire I'm also seeing a 4* hotel in the Hoboken/Jersey City area for $131 for 6/3-6/4 that is likely to be the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel. Very very nice and right across the river near the Lincoln Tunnel entrance - minutes by bus through the tunnel to Port Authority. However, you would have to take a cab from Grand Central to Port Authority and then the bus to NJ with your luggage and then back again unless you spend money on a car service ($40 range???).

Is this referring to staying at Sheraton?

Homewood Suites is in Edgewater, NJ about 15 minutes north of the Lincoln Tunnel. The Sheraton is right at the Lincoln Tunnel. Both are on the Hudson River. There is no train service to either - you would have to take a bus from Port Authority (about 10 blocks from Penn Station) or take a cab or car service. Perhaps some of the New Yorkers have a feel for price - there have been quotes on this forum of about $40 from Homewood to Manhattan, so I would imagine the Sheraton would be less money because of its convenient location. The Sheraton is about $30 less.

Did you make a nonrefundable reservation at Homewood? If so, then you should probably stick with it. What time is your train supposed to arrive?

Homewood Suites is in Edgewater, NJ about 15 minutes north of the Lincoln Tunnel. The Sheraton is right at the Lincoln Tunnel. Both are on the Hudson River. There is no train service to either - you would have to take a bus from Port Authority (about 10 blocks from Penn Station) or take a cab or car service. Perhaps some of the New Yorkers have a feel for price - there have been quotes on this forum of about $40 from Homewood to Manhattan, so I would imagine the Sheraton would be less money because of its convenient location. The Sheraton is about $30 less.

Did you make a nonrefundable reservation at Homewood?No, I can back out at anytime. If so, then you should probably stick with it. What time is your train supposed to arrive?

Our train will make it to Penn Station at 6pm on Friday, We will eat and rest up for Saturday..I did not want to spend extra money traveling to Ny on Sat for Sightseeing and Sunday for embarkation.......NY is complicated

What I'm hearing from you is that you are trying to keep costs down and that you now don't want to sightsee in NY on Sat (What are you going to do all day in a NJ hotel???). You also say that you can manage your luggage, but find NY complicated. I have several suggestions that try to address these issues.

NY can be complicated, but not that bad if you have a plan and understand your options. I agree with Blue Herons - don't buy fancy food and plan to walk a lot and use the subway.

I vote against Homewood Suites. If you were driving and not sightseeing, it would be fine if you had to stay near NYC (as opposed to an inexpensive hotel in Parsippany), but you are arriving at Penn Station and have no car. Homewood Suites is in Edgewater NJ, which is 15-20 minutes north of the Lincoln Tunnel.

I suggested the $131 4* hotel on Hotwire because it most likely the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor in Weehawken right by the Lincoln Tunnel. The price is great and you could probably get a cab there for $25-$30. You can also walk, cab, or take the subway to Port Authority and take the #158 bus, which runs about every 1/2 hour. This hotel has a pool, so if you are going to spend the day there the kids could use that. Bus fare is $3.20 for adults and $1.45 for children under 12, so for about $22 you can go into NY for the day.

Another suggestion would be to look at hotels in Jersey City which are near Path. This would include the Doubletree, Candlewood Suites, Courtyard Marriott, and Westin. From Penn Station you can walk east 1-2 avenues to 33rd and 6th. For $1.75/pp you can take the Journal Square train, get off at Newport, and walk several blocks to the hotel. This is a good option if you decide to go to NY on Sat - $14 round trip. Path can take you either to 33rd & 6th in midtown Manhattan or to the World Trade Center for downtown Manhattan. In midtown you can go in Macy's, walk to north to Times Square and then east to Rockefeller Center, down 5th Ave to the Empire state, and back to 33rd & 6th. From the World Trade Center you can walk to Battery Park, take the free Staten Island Ferry ride, and go to South Street Seaport. Add a subway ride and you can do both.

Check Amtrak to see what their luggage check requirements are - you should be able to disembark and go to Penn Station to check your luggage. This will leave you several hours to walk around midtown. If Amtrak is not an option, Schwartz Travel on 36th street will check your luggage.

JMHO, but if you take the train into NYC, STAY in NYC. Schlepping to NJ with luggage from the train and then BACK to NY with luggage will be a royal pain. Unless you take the bus, you will spend almost as much for car service/taxi with a hotel in NJ as you will just getting off the train and going to a convenient hotel in NYC. Not counting the hassle of trying to schlepp luggage onto a city bus to get to a hotel in NJ.

If you drive, completely different scenario. Drive to whatever hotel you are staying in in NJ. The 4* Sheraton in Weehawken will be VERY convenient for sightseeing Saturday. Then drive your car to the port.

Sorry, I meant to say, Yes, I only want to sightsee on Sat only. Friday, We will check in grab a bite to eat, like Pizza etc. and rest up. Sat we will get up sightsee and Sunday board the Glory. I agree I think I should stay in Sheraton due to the fact, I do not want to travel back and forth two days in a row to Ny....Sat for sightseeing and Sunday for cruising. I wish we had IM on here, lol. Thanks so much, now on to my next battle...using hotwire (i have never booked this way).

The hotwire hotel is noncancellable. Please be sure of your plans before you commit.

If you want to take a car service from NY to Weehawken, we can try to get you some suggestions. There is no guarantee that your train will arrive on time, so booking way ahead is probably not a good strategy, but you can explore possibilities and get prices. Penn Station is actually very nice - lots of stores and eateries where you can get pizza or whatever else appeals.

The hotwire hotel is noncancellable. Please be sure of your plans before you commit.

If you want to take a car service from NY to Weehawken, we can try to get you some suggestions. There is no guarantee that your train will arrive on time, so booking way ahead is probably not a good strategy, but you can explore possibilities and get prices. Penn Station is actually very nice - lots of stores and eateries where you can get pizza or whatever else appeals.

Thanks all. I am sure I will need more help. Push comes to shove, I will post my phone number and ask you guys to call me lol :D

Greatam - So how much would a cab/car service be from Penn Station to the Sheraton in Weehawken? The 4* Sheraton is $131 on Hotwire and there are no NY hotels showing that are even close to that price.

$45-50 PLUS tip each way. AND you have to find a NYC driver that will TAKE YOU to NJ OR pre arrange a car service. Doing a street hail for a NJ trip could very possibly be an exercise in frustration. NY cabs DO NOT have to go to NJ and really could charge you just about anything they wanted (particularly if they didn't want to go to NJ). If you are finding midtown hotels in the $215 price range, just about break even unless they are going to try to get the bus to NJ and return and MUCH less hassle to stay in NYC. Cheap taxi ride to the hotel and cheap taxi ride to the port should be the only taxi's needed. Otherwise, the inexpensive subway and walking.

BTW-Secaucus taxi just reduced substantially their rates from EWR to the Secaucus hotels-less than $30 each way including tolls. Tip not included. MUST book online but that opens up another avenue for those cruising out of Cape Liberty but want to sightsee in NYC. They have also reduced their rates from EWR to Jersey City and Weehawken. http://www.secaucustaxi.com/

Sorry, I meant to say, Yes, I only want to sightsee on Sat only. Friday, We will check in grab a bite to eat, like Pizza etc. and rest up. Sat we will get up sightsee and Sunday board the Glory. I agree I think I should stay in Sheraton due to the fact, I do not want to travel back and forth two days in a row to Ny....Sat for sightseeing and Sunday for cruising. I wish we had IM on here, lol. Thanks so much, now on to my next battle...using hotwire (i have never booked this way).

You will be schlepping back and forth THREE days in a row if you stay in NJ. After the train on Friday to NJ, Saturday both directions, then back to NYC on Sunday for the cruise.

I think taking the train and staying in NJ is just a REALLY, REALLY bad idea.

You will be schlepping back and forth THREE days in a row if you stay in NJ. After the train on Friday to NJ, Saturday both directions, then back to NYC on Sunday for the cruise.

I think taking the train and staying in NJ is just a REALLY, REALLY bad idea.

Yes, now that we are taking the train, I agree. So, is it ok to assume that Sheraton is a good option?

See if you can book an Amtrak train to Newark NJ. Saves "schlepping" from NY Penn Station to NJ.

That said you'll be better off with a hotel in NYC. Check travel zoo. Try Affinia http://www.affinia.com/ Sometimes they have good promotional rates.

PP has a point. You'll be wasting time, and money, going from Manhattan to NJ 3 days in a row, with 4 kids.

You can also try Hotwire. Hotwire will let you indicate you need a room which will sleep 4. PL might give you a room that can only sleep 2.

After reading all that, I vote for a hotel in NYC period. If you can get it around $215-$225 you will be better off. You'll rest up Friday and walk around your hotel Friday night experiencing the city looking for dinner. Want cheap try a Halal Cart Vendor ;) (that's a whole other thread forgive me).

After reading all that, I vote for a hotel in NYC period. If you can get it around $215-$225 you will be better off. You'll rest up Friday and walk around your hotel Friday night experiencing the city looking for dinner. Want cheap try a Halal Cart Vendor ;) (that's a whole other thread forgive me).

Thanks, so what are your thoughts of the Syline hotel? I got a really great deal of 188.00 (tax included)

That's a great deal. Cruisers have stayed at the Skyline because of their parking - not a fancy hotel but acceptable. For you it's a win win situtation - you stay within your budget and you get to be in Manhattan as well. Go for it.

That's a great deal. Cruisers have stayed at the Skyline because of their parking - not a fancy hotel but acceptable. For you it's a win win situtation - you stay within your budget and you get to be in Manhattan as well. Go for it.

Thank You VERY VERY much! Hotel is now booked!!

Check out Chinatown for a very cheap and delicious dinner. There are a number of "favorite" restaurants. Plus, you'll get to see a really vibrant part of the city. From the Westside you can take the subway to Fulton St.- World Trade Center and walk (probably a half mile). From midtown eastside area take the Lexington avenue local to Canal Street, then walk just a couple of blocks.

Glad you're staying in Manhattan. You're way over on the West Side so you can check out the new High Line park. The NJ hotel idea sounded like an unbelievable hassle, and you would have spent a fortune in cab fare.

Have a great time!

Check out Chinatown for a very cheap and delicious dinner. There are a number of "favorite" restaurants. Plus, you'll get to see a really vibrant part of the city. From the Westside you can take the subway to Fulton St.- World Trade Center and walk (probably a half mile). From midtown eastside area take the Lexington avenue local to Canal Street, then walk just a couple of blocks.

Glad you're staying in Manhattan. You're way over on the West Side so you can check out the new High Line park. The NJ hotel idea sounded like an unbelievable hassle, and you would have spent a fortune in cab fare.

Have a great time!

Thanks!

Archived