Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge question

knarf

Hi,

This is what I would like to do on Sunday morning MAY 8 .....

Take the subway from my hotel (144 Washington Street) either at the Rector St station to the Court Street Station in Brooklyn or the Fulton Street station to the High Street Station in Brooklyn. I want to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge from the Brooklyn side. Which station would be the closest to the walkway which will take me across the bridge into Manhattan ..the Court Street Station or the High Street Station. The map at the MTA tripplanner website looks like High Street is closer, BUT I don't know where you get on the walkway to take you across the bridge !!

From my reading, this sounds like a great walk to see the Manhattan skyline and to see this well known bridge.(after all, my whole life people kept asking me if "I wanted to buy the Brooklyn Bridge"..I'd like to see what I missed !!:D

Your help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:)

Thanks,

Knarf(Frank backwards)

I've done this walk quite a few times back when I worked downtown.

Here's a link describing the walk

Quote:

Which subway gets you closest to the Brooklyn Bridge on the Brooklyn side?

Many subways run close to the Brooklyn side of the Brooklyn Bridge. But all involve a walk of a third to two thirds of a mile before arriving at the bridge. (This is useful to know if one has young children in tow, or is wearing impossible shoes.) Also, to avoid frustrating route changes, always check subway schedules on Hopstop or the New York City MTA Trip Planner website for possible route changes, especially on weekends.

1. The absolutely closest, but least pretty route, is to take the A or C subway to the High Street-Brooklyn Bridge stop. Go right on Pearl Street, then left on Prospect Street to Washington Street. Look on the left for the entrance to the underpass on Washington Street. The underpass leads up a stairway to a ramp up, and voila! You will have arrived on the Brooklyn Bridge Pedestrian Path. Beware zooming cyclists.

(Distance: quarter of a mile to the Brooklyn Bridge walkway)

2. For a more charming adventure, exit the 2 and 3 subways at Clark Street Station, ride the elevator to street level, and walk to your left onto historic little Henry Street. Head downhill towards the un-miss-able Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges. Cross Henry Street at Cranberry Street and take the pathway through the Co-op houses. Walk across the street known as Cadman Plaza West. Then follow the path through tiny Cadman Plaza Park to Washington Street (which is also known as Cadman Plaza East). On Washington Street, take the underpass on the left, up a stairway to the Brooklyn Bridge Pedestrian Path.

(Distance: a third of a mile to the Brooklyn Bridge walkway)

3. If you're prone to getting lost, take the longer, but straighter route: Take the 2,3, 4,5, N or R subways to Borough Hall. Walk along Boerum Place (incorrectly labeled as Adams Street on some online maps) for about twelve minutes, passing the Brooklyn Marriott on the right. Cross onto the Brooklyn Bridge pedestrian path at Tillary Street.

(Distance: two thirds of a mile to the Brooklyn Bridge walkway)

ManhattanBridge-300.jpg

Wife and I spent a week at a hotel in downtown Manhattan

fairly close to City Hall, which is at the root of the pedestrian walkway on the Manhattan side.

BridgeWires-291.jpg

We took a pleasant walk one morning, but only went as far as

that first big upright thingy.

BBridgeArches-292.jpg

On that clear morning, the fantastic views looked like this..

Pier17-298.jpg

BklynQueensExprsway-286.jpg

If you want to see lots more of my pics taken in/around Manhattan

please click on this link...

http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w219/aplmac/NEW%20YORK/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Archived