A Vacation–No! A DREAM VACATION – Review with pictures April 2, 2011

We all made it back to the ship with just a few minutes to spare. Costa Maya is such a beautiful place and the time there is so short that there was a huge line waiting to get back on the ship at about 2:25 or so (everyone was supposed to be back on at 2:30). I think everyone stayed as long as they could and were all trying to get back on at the same time. I really wish we could have stayed there at least until 5:00 – then we wouldn’t have had to be back on until 4:30. Time there was just too short.

We went to the Lido and grabbed a snack and went back to our balcony to watch us leave Costa Maya. It’s amazing how they use the thrusters to push that huge ship away from the dock. So long Costa Maya – we hope to see you again soon!

RONNIE AND LISA ON THEIR BALCONY AS WE'RE LEAVING COSTA MAYA - GOOD VIEW OF THE BRIDGE TOO!

DSC00529.jpg?t=1304744285

Tonight was our last elegant night so we were all getting dressed up again – much to Glen’s dismay. He looks so good dressed up though! Anyway we all got ready, went down to make some pictures and then headed to dinner. Dinner was wonderful as usual and we all got up and danced with Jaco and Chonthicha. I think we actually sang and danced every night with the exception of a couple.

These are some of the pictures we bought from Carnival. I think they are a little grainy since they've been scanned and copied and all. Sorry!

2011-April2-9CarnivalElegantpictures015.jpg?t=1304743879

ME GETTING TO SHOW OFF MY NEW RING

2011-April2-9CarnivalElegantpictures016.jpg?t=1304743879

YOU CAN JUST SEE THE MEANESS OOZING THROUGH

2011-April2-9CarnivalElegantpictures020.jpg?t=1304743879

SHE'S A BEAUTIFUL LITTLE GIRL, DON'T YOU THINK?

2011-April2-9CarnivalElegantpictures021.jpg?t=1304743879

ME AND THE BIG GIRLS!

2011-April2-9CarnivalElegantpictures017.jpg?t=1304743879

I think they are ALL beautiful!!! What gorgeous pics!! We will be on the Dream in November and am really enjoying your review. Thank you for taking the time to write it. And most if all, thank you for fostering and adopting. The work you do is hard stuff. The world is a better place because you are in it. Especially for those 2 angels that you've adopted...:-)

I think they are ALL beautiful!!! What gorgeous pics!! We will be on the Dream in November and am really enjoying your review. Thank you for taking the time to write it. And most if all, thank you for fostering and adopting. The work you do is hard stuff. The world is a better place because you are in it. Especially for those 2 angels that you've adopted...:-)

Looks like we are on the same cruise in November Alligirl! DH and I always do a cruise the week after Thanksgiving and this year we booked the Dream. Can't wait!!

You're just a hop, skip and jump from us too! Sounds like we could start a GA board! Hey, I notice you've been on the Legend twice. She the one we're looking at for our next cruise! Tell me some stuff...good, bad and ugly!

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Legend! It is our favorite Carnival ship....Have gone on her the last two years, and only changed this year because we wanted to try the Dream.

Port of Tampa is pretty easy to get into and out off. We usually drive down on either Friday or Saturday and spend the night. Leave our car at the hotel and shuttle over to the port.

The employees on the Legend are very friendly and attentive to all your needs.

The ship is very easy to get around on, unlike some of the larger ships that you can't go from one end of the ship to the other without going up or down stairs.

If we all get together, I can go into more details with you, but feel free to email me any questions.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. It is great. We're going on the Dream in October and the review is really getting us in the mood (not that we need it). Your family is beautiful and I just want to give Collin and Hope a great big hug. Your daughters are so lovely and look great in the formal pics. Thank you for your fostering and the adoption. I, to was adopted as a baby and was SO lucky to get wonderful parents.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Legend! It is our favorite Carnival ship....Have gone on her the last two years, and only changed this year because we wanted to try the Dream.

Port of Tampa is pretty easy to get into and out off. We usually drive down on either Friday or Saturday and spend the night. Leave our car at the hotel and shuttle over to the port.

The employees on the Legend are very friendly and attentive to all your needs.

The ship is very easy to get around on, unlike some of the larger ships that you can't go from one end of the ship to the other without going up or down stairs.

If we all get together, I can go into more details with you, but feel free to email me any questions.

Good morning! Thanks for the info on the Legend. I definitely have more questions. If you can email me at grantsmail@windstream.net that would be great! My husband is curious as to why you cruised with RCCL the first 2 times, but haven't since if you dont' mind sharing that?

ALL GEORGIA VICINITY PEOPLE -

I would love to get together - anyone else out there within our vicinity that would like to? We could try and pick a central location for everyone and meet for dinner or something! If there is any interest, I'll give you all my email (it's posted in the preceding paragraph) and we can set something up!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. It is great. We're going on the Dream in October and the review is really getting us in the mood (not that we need it). Your family is beautiful and I just want to give Collin and Hope a great big hug. Your daughters are so lovely and look great in the formal pics. Thank you for your fostering and the adoption. I, to was adopted as a baby and was SO lucky to get wonderful parents.

You two are going to make me cry! Thank you so much for your comments. You know, we don't do it for the recognition, we just love kids. I've loved kids since I was a kid and I never thought I would end up with 4 of my own! It's really funny because I had a hard time getting pregnant with Whitney and then Lindsey was a surprise. I remember coming home to tell Glen and he was happy, but was worried sick about the responsibility of raising 2 children. I look back now and that is really funny, because now we have 4! Thanks again. Sometimes I think I'm ready to quit fostering, because it is so hard when they leave, but positive comments like yours reminds me that it's all worth it!

I do know without a doubt that we went back to the Lanai deck to the Ocean Plaza and listened to the Blackjack band. We would hang out there for several hours each night. I’m telling you – if you are into the kind of music they play – don’t miss them. Find them early in the cruise and you’ll end up listening to them every night just like we did.

NOT A GREAT PICTURE - BUT THE LEADS OF THE BLACKJACK BAND. HE CAN PLAY THE FIDDLE LIKE NO ONE'S BUSINESS!

I have seen Blackjack on a cruise that my late husband and I took several years ago. Once we listened to them one night, we were back every night afterwards. I remember her singing a Janis Joplin song and it was great. I'm hoping to run into them again, but, I guess only time will tell. Great review and pictures. Love your ring.

We are looking at the Legend or the Liberty for our next cruise. I would love to hear about the Legend from you. .

Hey count me in the GA cruisers group....I'm in Ringgold, what's left of it anyway. Only minor tornado damage at my house, but the city was devastated. It is amazing how fast clean up and rebuilding is going.:D

Anyhow, loving your review. We enjoyed the Dream so much last year that we had planned on going on her again this year.

We were torn between the Dream and the Legend, we've been on both and they are our 2 favorite ships. The Dream won because we wanted a cove balcony.

There is a review in my signature with pictures from the Legend. I also did the Royal Dolphin swim at chankanaab that cruise.

And as you will see from signature...we aren't cruising this year. Happy to be with our family on the beach, but sad not to be on a ship.

I am totally enjoying your review!

Hey count me in the GA cruisers group....I'm in Ringgold, what's left of it anyway. Only minor tornado damage at my house, but the city was devastated. It is amazing how fast clean up and rebuilding is going.:D

Anyhow, loving your review. We enjoyed the Dream so much last year that we had planned on going on her again this year.

We were torn between the Dream and the Legend, we've been on both and they are our 2 favorite ships. The Dream won because we wanted a cove balcony.

There is a review in my signature with pictures from the Legend. I also did the Royal Dolphin swim at chankanaab that cruise.

And as you will see from signature...we aren't cruising this year. Happy to be with our family on the beach, but sad not to be on a ship.

I am totally enjoying your review!

I am so happy you didn't receive major damage to your home. I've been praying for all of you and I can't imagine what you're going through. God must have had his hand on Dalton - it only rained about 15 minutes here at my house and only summer type thunderstorms and wind. I haven't been up that way to see the damage - I don't know if I want to. I know it will break my heart.

We'd love to have you join us! Sounds like Dalton will be a pretty central location! I'll be sure and check out your review for the Legend. We are torn between the Legend and the Liberty, but my family doesn't want to make the drive to Miami!

Looks like we are on the same cruise in November Alligirl! DH and I always do a cruise the week after Thanksgiving and this year we booked the Dream. Can't wait!!

This cruise is an early Christmas present to my boys, who will be 7 & 10 when we go. And its a total surprise. They have no idea...and won't...until we fly out on Thanksgiving! :-)

I do know without a doubt that we went back to the Lanai deck to the Ocean Plaza and listened to the Blackjack band. We would hang out there for several hours each night. I’m telling you – if you are into the kind of music they play – don’t miss them. Find them early in the cruise and you’ll end up listening to them every night just like we did.

NOT A GREAT PICTURE - BUT THE LEADS OF THE BLACKJACK BAND. HE CAN PLAY THE FIDDLE LIKE NO ONE'S BUSINESS!

I have seen Blackjack on a cruise that my late husband and I took several years ago. Once we listened to them one night, we were back every night afterwards. I remember her singing a Janis Joplin song and it was great. I'm hoping to run into them again, but, I guess only time will tell. Great review and pictures. Love your ring.

Same with us about going every night after we heard them the first time! I think they said they were on the Dream until July?. Who knows, they may be on the Conquest when you sail!

Just found your review- what a great family you are! Although we aren't sailing the Dream this year, I love seeing a family review and check out some of the ports we haven't been to yet. So sorry Roatan didn't work out!

Thanks for sharing your trip and pictures! Sounds like you had a very fun family vacation. Costa Maya was one of our favorite ports, too and would love to go back there. We were on the Dream last June and were able to dock in Roatan, but it was at Coxen Hole.

Add us too!!! We live in Adairsville, Georgia....I work in Cartersville and DH works in Rome.

I just got back yesterday from a 4 day cruise on the Sensation, and DH and I are booked on the Dream for November 2011!!! Go DAWGS>>>>>>>>

If you haven't already, come join the roll call!

Sorry for the hijack.... still reading your review and its still great! GC is a bit pricy IMHO..........

We did the usual sea day stuff today. After breakfast, Glen took the kids to play golf and I went up on the Lanai deck and found a chair so I could lie in the sun and do some reading. It ended up that Lisa, Whitney, Lindsey and I all hung out there together for a few hours. I would miss Whitney and Lindsey for a while only to find out that they had gone exploring around the ship or maybe back to the cabin for a quick nap. We were really tired today, vacation had finally caught up with us.

COLLIN GOLFING! HE'S REALLY GOOD TO BE JUST 6!

DSC00586.jpg?t=1304819100

Hope and Collin went to Camp Carnival for a while but they always ask that you pick them up for lunch. After lunch I told them I would take them up to the Lido deck and let them play in the water works area on the slides for a while. Needless to say, I was the best Mom in the world for that. We hung out all afternoon outside until about 3:30. It came up a quick cloud and you would have thought people would actually melt if a drop of rain fell on them! It was funny seeing all those women and men run inside when it started to sprinkle. Talk about being able to get a lounge chair – there were lots available after that. Funny thing was though – it only rained about 5 minutes and the sun came right back out for the rest of the day!

OUR ONLY RAIN GETTING READY TO START!

DSC00597.jpg?t=1304819100

We went back to the cabin for the dreaded packing. I got a little done, but then it was time to get ready for dinner. I had picked up some envelopes for tips at the guest services desk for Jaco, Chonthicha and Anas (our room steward). Sorry, I haven’t even mentioned that poor guy have I? More on him later…

I know that Carnival puts the $10 per person, per day tip on your sail and sign, but there were some that I just thought deserved more than the share of that $10 they would be getting.

Sadly, we went down to dinner – our final night of the most wonderful vacation ever! Service and food were both excellent as always. We hated to see dinner end because it felt like we were leaving new members of our family. We had talked and cut with up Jaco and Chonthicha all week long and had gotten to know them and would be missing not only their wonderful service, but them too! We all had our pictures made with each other and gave them their additional tips. Well deserved ones I might add.

ALL THE MEN WITH CHONTHICHA!

DSC00607.jpg?t=1304819100

ALL THE GIRLS AND JACO! HE'S VERY TALL!

DSC00608.jpg?t=1304819586

A word about your servers, room stewards, etc. In talking with Jaco and Chonthicha we learned so much about how their jobs work, etc. They do sign a 6 month contract and during that contract they work 12-14 hour days – 7 days a week. I would venture to say that most of us don’t even have a clue how hard that would be. I don’t like working my 5 day, 35 – 40 hours a week job! During breakfast one morning, Chonthicha told us that she normally worked the breakfast shift from 7 or 7:30 until 10 or so. Then back on for lunch – 11 until 2 or 2:30 and then had to be back in the dining room by 4:30 or 5 to get ready for the first seating of dinner. She said it was normally 10:30 or 11 when they finished cleaning up from the late seating of dinner. That’s a long day! She said they normally do get one lunch shift off per week. She also told us that getting back to Thailand takes her about 20 - 24 hours and they do have to pay their own way back. She told us that her airfare usually ran her around $1,400 depending on where she had to travel from. Jaco said it took him about 14 hours to get home. My understanding is they don’t have a choice in which ship they will be on next – it’s completely up to Carnival.

CHONTHICHA AND COLLIN'S LAST HUG!

DSC00605.jpg?t=1304821611

After dinner we went to see the Blackjack band once again and danced and danced. Glen, Hope, Collin and I left and went to see the Legends show. It was cute and I have to give credit to the passengers who get up and perform in front of everyone! They did a good job. Afterwards, we went back and listened to our favorite band again. It was getting really late and we had to go back to finish packing for our trip home tomorrow – yuck!

Now, more on our room steward – Anas. I hate to say, but for the life of me I can’t remember where he was from. He was a very nice man though and was very attentive to our cabins and anything else we needed. Our kids had the inside for 4, but we soon found out with both upper beds down they couldn’t really see the tv, so Whitney asked him to not lower one of the uppers once and from then on he only lowered the one and fixed the sofa in our balcony cabin for sleeping (Hope and Collin alternated nights sleeping in our room). He brought us beer buckets from the bar and kept our cokes, mountain dews and sprites iced down in those! We had great towel animals – although we didn’t have one the last night for some reason or the other! He always greeted us in the hall way with a smile and always knew our names . I had absolutely no complaints with him!

Oh my goodness - there’s another story I need to tell. I hope I’m not boring all you with these. You know how I told you that our asst. waitress fell head over heels for Collin – well another crewmember did also! It seems that everyone is always asking your name all the time and lots of them calling you by name. Well, Collin had no problem in telling everyone that he was Collin! On one of the nights we had pictures made, a very pretty photographer from the Ukraine asked Collin his name and he sure told her. She took this picture of him and asked for a hug – well he had no trouble obliging and also got a kiss! Every time she would see him after that – she would see him coming and say, “There’s my little Collin – I want a hug and kiss”. It was priceless to see the look on his face! I tell you – I’m not sure what I’m going to do with the boy when he gets older if he’s already this much of a ladies man at the tender age of 6! I may just have to lock him in his room.

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS POSE?

2011-April2-9CarnivalElegantpictures013.jpg?t=1304822045

COLLIN AND HIS "OTHER" GIRLFRIEND!

DSC00621.jpg?t=1304821969

ONE LAST KISS!

DSC00622-1.jpg?t=1304821611

Hopefully I'll be able to finish up tomorrow. We only have debarkation and some final thoughts to go! Stay tuned!

Wow, you ae a "nugget finder" and a people person... thanks for sharing the info. on your servers. My son looked into working on a cruise ship and was never really able to get that much information. So glad to have a peek behind the scenes of those hard working folks. Thanks for sharing your photos, trip, and insights, it has been a pleasure to read.

Wow, you ae a "nugget finder" and a people person... thanks for sharing the info. on your servers. My son looked into working on a cruise ship and was never really able to get that much information. So glad to have a peek behind the scenes of those hard working folks. Thanks for sharing your photos, trip, and insights, it has been a pleasure to read.

Thanks so much! I'm hoping I can wrap this up tomorrow. I've been working on this for a week now and I'm ready to be done. I love reading everyone's comments and answering as many questions as I can though!

Keep checking for more and thanks for reading!

Same with us about going every night after we heard them the first time! I think they said they were on the Dream until July?. Who knows, they may be on the Conquest when you sail!

First of all - you have brought a tear to my eye with your beautiful family. I look at these absolutely beautiful children, older that are blessed enough to have such awesome parents.

Then these incredible babies, who were also blessed and fortunate enough to be enjoying what they are doing considering where they started. You and your husband are truly a testimony in faith and love. (sniff-sniff)

Your ring is beautiful and truly reflects what you deserve.

Now on to my question - do you know if Blackjack mentioned whether they would be on the Dream until the "end" of July, or just beginning of July? We sail on the Dream July 2nd, and we absolutely love good music and good dancing. I have read so many fabulous reviews of Blackjack and will be disappointed is they leave the Dream before we arrive.

Thanks for your fantastic review.

First of all - you have brought a tear to my eye with your beautiful family. I look at these absolutely beautiful children, older that are blessed enough to have such awesome parents.

Then these incredible babies, who were also blessed and fortunate enough to be enjoying what they are doing considering where they started. You and your husband are truly a testimony in faith and love. (sniff-sniff)

Now on to my question - do you know if Blackjack mentioned whether they would be on the Dream until the "end" of July, or just beginning of July? We sail on the Dream July 2nd, and we absolutely love good music and good dancing. I have read so many fabulous reviews of Blackjack and will be disappointed is they leave the Dream before we arrive.

If the band Blackjack is ever on a cruise anyone takes, they are not to be missed. I am hoping to run into them again on one of my upcoming cruises. I don't know if she still does "Me & Bobby McGee", but, boy, does she do a great job. Don't miss them!

You are very kind! If you only knew where they did start, especially little Hope and what she's been through - you just wouldn't believe it! But through all that - that little girl is the most loving child you have ever seen and is smart as a whip! She's already in the ALPHA classes (accelerated classes) and she's only in 2nd grade. We have truly been blessed with what God has given us!

I honestly don't know, but our friends that went with us - Ronnie and Lisa have their email address. I will have them email them and see when they will be leaving the Dream and I will certainly let you know!

Thanks for reading - it's nice to know all this time putting this together isn't in vain! I just hope I can help at least 1 person have a better vacation like so many here did for me!

We woke early because when Glen knows vacation is over, he’s ready to go - early! In his defense though, we did have a 9 hour drive (or so we thought) ahead of us.

Lindsey had a plan (or so she thought). She had decided that she wanted to bring their room steward (Anas) home with her. I told her that could pose a problem since he was already married and had 5 children at home. She said she had thought about that and had decided that the soon to be ex-wife could keep the children and that she and Anas would just have to have a long engagement (she's only 14 afterall). I played along and told her that would be fine. You see, I wasn't worried because I already knew that as soon as we made it back to Georgia and Anas saw her bedroom (the teenage girl's wreck of a room it usually is) that he would run as fast and hard as he could back to the Dream and never look back! End of that plan!

Somehow we were able to combine some suitcases and narrowed it down from 9 to 7 and decided to try the self-debark. It was a God send! We were off the ship – through customs and out waiting on our Country Inn and Suites driver by 7:15 or 7:30.

GOING BACK TO THE REAL WORLD!

DSC00624.jpg?t=1304900531

Our driver was a hoot and actually made the end of our vacation more bearable. He was there to pick us up within 10 minutes of our getting outside the terminal.

We packed up the Jeep and back to Georgia we headed!

PACKING UP THE JEEP - GLEN DIDN'T HAVE HIS BELT TIGHT ENOUGH - ALMOST LOST HIS SHORTS!

DSC00629.jpg?t=1304901676

OUR LAST VIEW OF THE DREAM - UNTIL THE NEXT TIME!

DSC00630.jpg?t=1304901816

About the 9 hour drive – it ended up being about 12. Don’t ask me why, I really don’t know. I just know that we would be going at a good speed for 10-15 miles and then we would be creeping along at 15-20 miles an hour. It got so bad that we actually got off the interstate at least 2 times and traveled 41 highway north. The thing was, we never saw any wrecks or any reason for the slow traffic. Maybe it was just everyone returning from spring break – I don’t have a clue!

I'm almost finished! I bet you are all glad! I do have some random thoughts and things I've thought of as I was doing this that I want to share. I'll post those later tonight or at the lastest tomorrow night!

Happy Mothers Day to all you Moms out there! I hope you've had a wonderful day!

Archived