A Vacation–No! A DREAM VACATION – Review with pictures April 2, 2011

I'm so sad that the review is over! :(

I do have some questions about Dolphin Discovery. It does look like we will be going to Chankanaab park and doing the Dolphin Swim.

How much was the taxi from the port to the park and back? I'm trying to decide if booking with carnival would benefit us. I know they've added on an extra $20 to the fee that includes transportation.

Was there a place at the park to have lunch?

Was the sea lion show included in the park entrance fee or is that a separate fee? My mom (67) will be with us and I am positive that she will not be taking part in the swim but I'm sure she would love to see the sea lion show.

Was Glen able to watch you guys swim with the dolphins or were you in an enclosed area?

When you booked with discovery did you pay online or did you just make a reservation? We will be traveling in hurricane season, I'm afraid that if we miss the port we won't be refunded. I would prefer to make a reservation and pay when we get there is possible, even if we have to pay a deposit.

I do have some questions about Dolphin Discovery. It does look like we will be going to Chankanaab park and doing the Dolphin Swim.

How much was the taxi from the port to the park and back? I'm trying to decide if booking with carnival would benefit us. I know they've added on an extra $20 to the fee that includes transportation.

Was the sea lion show included in the park entrance fee or is that a separate fee? My mom (67) will be with us and I am positive that she will not be taking part in the swim but I'm sure she would love to see the sea lion show.

Was Glen able to watch you guys swim with the dolphins or were you in an enclosed area?

When you booked with discovery did you pay online or did you just make a reservation? We will be traveling in hurricane season, I'm afraid that if we miss the port we won't be refunded. I would prefer to make a reservation and pay when we get there is possible, even if we have to pay a deposit.

First of all, don't be sad - it's not over! I still have a few random things to post and I'll try and do that tonight or tomorrow!

Now, about Chankanaab - I can't remember if I told you that I reserved our Dolphin Swim directly with Dolphin Discovery BEFORE you had to do it through Carnival. I think I booked way back in October, 2010 and we didn't even go until April 2nd, 2011. I know sometime after the first of the year people on CC were saying they had to go through Carnival to book with Dolphin Discovery and that it was way more expensive. I actually have my confirmation reserved on my computer at work so I'll look tomorrow when I get there and shoot you another post! I have heard there were other ways around that too, but I'm not sure what would happen if your ship wasn't able to make it to port and you had told them you were staying at a resort instead of cruising??? Might be a headache then...

We decided against including the taxi fare with our swim because we knew Glen wouldn't be doing the swim and he would have to take a taxi anyway so we didn't include it in ours and we all just paid for a taxi from the port. Glen and I have both racked our brains and we think we paid about $17.00 to $20.00 for all of us both to and from the port to Chankanaab...but keep in mind that there were 6 of us in total going. They do have the prices posted where the taxi cabs are so you WILL KNOW before you get into the taxi how much your fare will be!

Don't forget to print your Mom a discount coupon off of either mycozumel.com or cozumelinsider.com (I'm pretty sure it's one of those). I think the coupon is good for about a $2 discount.

There is a place for lunch - kind of a snack bar type grill area I would say. I can't say how much or how the food was because we didn't eat anything there - only got a couple of canned drinks. Glen said he thought he remembered looking at a menu and he didn't think the prices were bad.

The sea lion show is included in the price of admission - your Mom won't have to pay extra for that. If you plan on spending some time at the park, you can all attend either before or after your swim! Also, don't forget that you can actually have a guide take you around the park and show you the different things - replica mayan ruins, gardens, lagoon, etc. There was no fee for that either - we just tipped ours!

You will be in an enclosed are when you do your swim, but depending on which area (they have several areas caged off) you are in will depend on how well she can see. We were all the way down on the very end and Glen couldn't see from where he was. I didn't know this until just now, but he said he had to pay $5.00 to be able to come down there where we were (like they weren't already making enough money).

I did have to pay online when I made my reservation, they wouldn't just hold it and me pay when we got to the park. I will look tomorrow at my confirmation and let you know exactly what it says!

I hope this helps. I know I have a picture of the area where we swam, I'll try and post it too, so you'll have an idea of what it's like.

Feel free to ask more questions as you think of them!

Here's a picture for you! Look all the way over to the right and all the way back to where the far platform is. In that corner is where our swim took place. The deck area to the front of the picture is where the benches are where people can watch from. hope this helps!

DSC00332.jpg?t=1304991321

thank you so much for sharing your trip (and your family) with us! I'm sailing on the Dream at the end of August, but the eastern itinerary. It sounds like you had a great time on and off the ship and I'm looking forward to it so much more now! I haven't cruised since 2001 (Inspiration) and I've been concerned about all the reviews about Carnival's general decline in service, and the sheer size of Dream. You've helped push those out of my mind (at least for now ;))

OK – now some odds and ends for you!

We ate breakfast and lunch in MDR one time each. Breakfast was great – although the portions didn’t seem that large. Lunch not so much. Maybe just what I chose, but I just wasn’t that impressed with lunch in the MDR.

Lisa said “Don’t forget your Dramamine”! She only felt bad a couple of times (once due to the heat we believe), but said the Dramamine worked wonders!

Lindsey says not to over think it and spend too much time on cruise critic! She says I spent way too much time on here – but little does she know we wouldn’t have seen and done some of the things we were able to if I hadn’t spent so much time on here….

Whitney said “When you get to Costa Maya – just stay. Take the hit and miss the ship”! She loved it there!

Glen says to try ALL the different eateries and their food! Get small portions and if you like it go get more! Don’t feel bad about not finishing it all – just try it. It’s all included in your cruise so why not!

Hope and Collin say to go down the waterslides as many times as you can! Oh, and don’t forget to eat as much ice cream as you can too!!!!

Ronnie says “Don’t ever go on your first cruise. You’ll be hooked for life. We’re already planning cruise number 2”.

Some final thoughts from me –

If you’re looking for your husband (if he’s like mine) he’s probably around the food somewhere. That’s where we found Glen and Ronnie most of the time when they went missing!

Don’t over pack! I did and I wish I hadn’t. I do think it comes with experience though. We always go to Daytona every year and I’ve now condensed my packing down a bunch! Maybe when I’m like some of you and have 10 or 15 cruises under my belt I won’t over pack!

Don’t stress too much over what you read here. I was worried about “the smell”, the lines at the buffet, the crowd in the theater, the crowds at the comedy shows, not being able to find a chair out in the sun, and on and on and on. But you know what….none of that really came into play for me (or if it did, I didn’t let it ruin my vacation). I had a great time!

Servers, room stewards, etc. work hard every day. Just like us they are human and might be having a bad day every now and then. Don’t take it personal if you don’t think they are up to par one day – just smile and be polite and I would almost bet by the next day everything will be back to normal.

Don’t try and do it all – it just can’t be done. I’m such a planner and want to get the most for my money that sometimes I plan too much. Sometimes you just have to sit back and smell the roses, you know? If you miss it this trip, pray that God will bless you enough to let you go again and you can do it then!

Do remember that this is YOUR vacation! Vacation is what YOU make of it – not anyone else. Let your hair down… dance with your wife or husband – even if you’d never do it back home, have an extra dessert, shoot even an extra entree. Slide down the waterslides (as long as you’re not too old to climb the stairs to the top, you’re not too old to slide down)! Eat ice cream for lunch and breakfast too, if you want! More than likely no one will know you on the ship and you’ll probably never see them again so have a good time and don’t get back home and say, “I wish I had…."

I know there are so many things I’m forgetting to tell all of you. I hope you have enjoyed my review and that you have had some questions answered.

Please feel free to ask if I haven’t touched on something you’re wondering about!

If you’re sailing on the Dream soon, I’m jealous…but I hope you have the vacation of a lifetime!

Thanks for reading everyone!

Thank you for the great review and your last comment is RIGHT ON!

Vacation is what you make of it and dont sweat the small stuff...life is to short and vacations with family is to rare.

Bon Voyage

djp

good review thanks for the info - you can never do to much research for your vacation - the planning makes it better - saves money and lets you pick the best things to do at each port

Thanks so much for the review. We have been on the Dream and the Legend. We will be on the Dream late this year in a Cove Balcony and on the Legend in Jan.

You offered great advice: "Do remember that this is YOUR vacation! Vacation is what YOU make of it – not anyone else."

Another cruiser from GA.

Thanks so much for letting us get a peek into your vacation and your wonderful family. I am in such awe of parents who open their houses and hearts to other kids - keep up the great work. It looks like you all had a spectacular vacation!

p.s. I loved your pic of Collin on the bed, absolutely classic!

Thanks so much for the review. We have been on the Dream and the Legend. We will be on the Dream late this year in a Cove Balcony and on the Legend in Jan.

You offered great advice: "Do remember that this is YOUR vacation! Vacation is what YOU make of it – not anyone else."

Another cruiser from GA.

Thanks for reading! I would love to hear more about your comparisons between the Dream and the Legend as we are looking at the Legend for our next cruise. After being on the Dream, did the legend seem too small? If you have time, please give me your thoughts! I'd love to hear what the differences are - the good and the bad.

Thanks!

Hey, if you're close enough to us in northern Georgia, you might be able to meet up with us if we get together to talk cruise!

Thanks so much for letting us get a peek into your vacation and your wonderful family. I am in such awe of parents who open their houses and hearts to other kids - keep up the great work. It looks like you all had a spectacular vacation!

p.s. I loved your pic of Collin on the bed, absolutely classic!

Thank you and thanks for reading! I know - I love those underwear and p.j. shots - some people these days think you're a pervert, but I just love them. I'm sure I'll get a lot of grief later when he's older and he sees that picture of him in his Lightning McQueen underwear! Maybe I can show his girlfriend in 10 or 12 years from now!

Great review. Thank you so much. We will be going on the Dream on November 19th 2011. We can't wait…...

Hi and thanks for reading! I see you're from Ormond Beach! We will be there on vacation in July! We come every year (usually in June, but since we cruised in April we decided to break it up some) and stay in Ormond near the Julian's Steakhouse! I have tons more pictures if you're interested! Just let me know and maybe we can meet up somewhere - I love to show off my kids!

Have a great time when you go!

Thanks so much for sharing your review. I really enjoyed iy !!

Thank you for sharing such a detailed review w/ us! I have savored every detail and admire your beautiful family so much! I love that you cruise as a family! I am a MN mom of 4, and my husband and I will be taking the kids on their very first cruise on 10/15/11 on the Dream. (My parents will also be sailing w/ us). Question: Where did your girls get their braids and how much were they? I think my girls would love them! Thanks again for sharing your heart...I have learned so much from you (not only about the Dream/cruising but about life also). God bless your beautiful family!!!!!

Here's a picture I took of Blackjack on the Conquest. I actually have been so blest to have had them on 4 of my cruises...4 of my first 7 cruises!!! They were on my first 2 Celebration cruises, then on the Conquest. Melanie and Jimmy loved my Celebration t-shirt I was wearing, then I told them I remembered them. A year later on the Dream, once they saw me, they remembered me and waved to me as they were playing. I talked with them plenty on both cruises. We had a crazy group on the Conquest, flooding the dance area the whole time. The Dream guests were not as lively our week, but the music was still great. I'm so hoping that they will be back on the Dream by the time we sail in November. I'm hoping that when they leave in July, that it's just a break and not switching ships.

blackjack.jpg

Thank you so much for your great review! This is my favorite review that I've ever read, especially reading about your faith and what you do for the kids. It's awesome! All praise be to God! I love your final comments and the advice you gave there. Those are great things to remember!

With some of the Chankanaab questions the one poster had, you are right that they aren't letting Carnival cruisers book on their own anymore. If we tell them we're staying at a hotel or something like that, but then the ship doesn't make it into port, we wind up as a no-show without even a call to cancel, and we probably would get no money back. I'm glad you were able to get yours booked before the change took place. It's too bad that they made this change. The cab to/from Chankanaab for the 3 of us was $10 each way.

Thank you for sharing such a detailed review w/ us! I have savored every detail and admire your beautiful family so much! I love that you cruise as a family! I am a MN mom of 4, and my husband and I will be taking the kids on their very first cruise on 10/15/11 on the Dream. (My parents will also be sailing w/ us). Question: Where did your girls get their braids and how much were they? I think my girls would love them! Thanks again for sharing your heart...I have learned so much from you (not only about the Dream/cruising but about life also). God bless your beautiful family!!!!!

Good morning! First of all, thanks for reading and I'm glad you enjoyed it! We always do everything as a family. My friends are always telling us we need time to ourselves, but we normally take our kids with us pretty much wherever we go. Time goes too quickly and one day they will be gone - we'll have time for us then hopefully!

Hope had her braids done in Costa Maya along the malecon there in Mahahual. There was a lady who came up and wanted to do them and she showed me some wonderful pictures so I let her do Hopes. I can't remember how much, but not much - maybe $15 or so. I'm sure it would be more for a full head. Bargain with them though, especially if you are having more than one child's done! Depending on where you are going to be hanging out in Mahahual - your waiter might be able to set something up for you. I'm sure ours would have at Tropicante if I had ask them to.

Have a wonderful trip! Let us know how you liked it! I'm especially wondering how the weather is that time of year!

Hey GeorgiaMom - just thought I would let you know, I googled "Blackjack Band" and sent an email to Jimmy. He responded immediately and said they would be on the Dream until July 16th. Yeah for us!

Did they say which ship they would be on after their 2 month break?

looking at Dream cruise--we ahve sailed 9 carnival cruises and my son wants to see a ship that he doesn't know like the back of his hand. Would you say the Dream is different in feel?

ANy help in a balcony cabin selection & location suggestions area a help.

Usually we choose mid ship for my seas sickness, and twice a lido deck for convenience to be near the buffet and pizza. But welcome to anyone's suggstions--including where NOT to book.

Hi GeorgiaMom - thank you so much for your review! I really enjoyed reading it (and it was far from boring!!). If you have time to answer a couple of questions I would appreciate it! My friend (she commented earlier - Melli Fera) and I are going on the Dream on Aug 27th--it's our first time on the boat.

Do you have any recommendations about the boat - for example, recommendations about what deck(s) you liked to relax on (or were off the beaten path), tips on what times to go for food, tips on when to do things on the ship--like the waterslide or golf course (peak vs non peak hrs), things like that. Also, I would love to hear more on packing recommendations - what you couldn't live without, what you could have left home, etc. Thank you so much!!! :D

Archived