The Narrows on the Inside Passage

sandyh422

I have read about going through the Narrows on the cruise ships from Vancouver. Can anyone tell me what distance they are from Vancouver? My cruise leaves there at 5pm, so was wondering what time it might be when we pass through.

Seymour Narrows is about 100/110 miles from Vancouver. However as tide currents in the narrows can reach 16 knots ships only want to go through the narrows on high slack or with the current on their bow. So they have to factor the 5 hrs it is going to take to reach the narrows with the time of the tide. Sometimes if you are really lucky in late June or early July you may see them in the evening's twilight but as a rule it is after dark. Southbound you will often go through in the late afternoon or early evening.

I've gone through Seymour Narrows at all different times on my many cruises. Sometimes you can get the time information by requesting it from the bridge via the purser's desk. Then decide if you want to be out, at least 90 minutes prior, for the "line ups". It is very interesting to me.

I've gone through Seymour Narrows at all different times on my many cruises. Sometimes you can get the time information by requesting it from the bridge via the purser's desk. Then decide if you want to be out, at least 90 minutes prior, for the "line ups". It is very interesting to me.

I have not heard about the Narrows. Being from CA, we have never had to deal with tidal changes - I think this would be fascinating to see. What is it like?

When the current is at maximum in either direction, it becomes quite turbulent. As the

ships time their passage closer to slack water, it is not quite as exciting but there is

still a considerable amount of surface disturbance. Here is a video from a small boat

at what appears to be very close to slack water.

Seymour Narrows has an interesting history. There was a large rock right in the centre

which was a real hazard to ships. In 1958, the rock was blasted out of existence by the

largest non-nuclear explosion ever at that time. Here is a link to the story.

http://www.vancouverislandabound.com/tamingof.htm

A Google search of Seymour Narrows will provide much more interesting information.

c-to-sea and Scottbee - thanks for the links. That is absolutely fascinating! As casual sailors in Marina del Rey in Southern CA, the prospect of ever seeing such turbulent waters in a 34 ft. sailboat or even a cruiseship literally turns us to jelly.

As a sailor then you will understand why they want to go through Seymour Narrows with the current on their bow, at 16 knots if it were on there stern they run the risk of loosing steerage...not a pleasant thought. The narrows are exactly that, there are times that you feel as though you can reach out and touch the shore.

As a sailor then you will understand why they want to go through Seymour Narrows with the current on their bow, at 16 knots if it were on there stern they run the risk of loosing steerage...not a pleasant thought. The narrows are exactly that, there are times that you feel as though you can reach out and touch the shore.

Really? That close? It sounds so exciting. I hope we go thru at a time when we can observe it, both for the novel experience of the fast current and the closeness of the shore to the boat. Would we be able to get this information from the Pursuer's Office? Or to whom should we inquire?

Archived