How to do Athens in only 2 half days?

lstewart123

Our cruise leaves from Athens, and we fly in the day before. I don't love the fact that we have so little time to "cram in" Athens, but it is what it is, so I'm trying to plan the best I can. Our flight arrives at 10:20 a.m. on a Sunday (presuming no delays), so we really only have Sunday afternoon and Monday morning to see the city. Plus we'll obviously be a bit jetlagged. That said, what would be reasonable to attempt on Sunday? And should we hire a driver for both days? The ship doesn't leave on Monday until 5:00, but I think they start check-in/boarding around noon. This is our first cruise, so I really don't know what a reasonable time for us to board is, either. In any event, we'll have to go back to our hotel Monday for our luggage before boarding the ship. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I was in a similar situation last September; I arrived late morning on a Saturday and my ship sailed Sunday at 5pm from Piraeus; I also stayed at the Grande Bretagne. However, I'd been to Athens before and was staying another 4 days after.

Here's what I would suggest. Get to the hotel and check in. Likely you will be able to get your room by that time -- it takes about an hour to get into Athens from the airport as I recall.

Shower, or do whatever you do to refresh yourself, but don't nap. Take the metro (right in front of the hotel) one stop on the Red Line to Akropoli station. Exit the station and follow the foot traffic about a half block to the pedestrian street, Dionysiou Areopagitou. Turn left and walk a block or two; you'll see signs directing you up the hill toward the Acropolis entrance.

Map of Acropolis area: http://www.planetware.com/i/map/GR/athens-acropolis-map.jpg

Walk up the gentle slope (much better than the other path) following signs until you reach the ticket gate, purchase your ticket and enter. You'll still have to walk up quite a few slippery marble steps to pass through the gate (Propylaia) and up onto the Acropolis. Take some sort of guide or printout with you to help you identify everything.

When you're done, walk down the same way you walked up. At the foot when you are once again on the pedestrian street, you should see the new Acropolis Museum virtually in front of you. Go in and enjoy this great new museum. (It's closed on Mondays, so don't leave it....)

When finished, you can either choose to walk around in the Plaka area and enjoy it, or head back to Syntagma Square on the metro, just reversing your path for one stop.

If you choose to go back to Syntagma area for dinner, there is a great restaurant very nearby. With your back to the entrance of the Grande Bretagne, look in front of you at the square, then slowly turn your head right and locate the McDonalds (no, that's not it!). Walk around the square toward this great landmark, pass it, and take the next right onto the street (address is 12 Mitropoleos) leading away from the square. The restaurant is:

Tzitzigas kai Mermigas (Ant and the Grasshopper)

Review: http://www.true-athens.com/2008/02/tzitzikas-mermigas-syntagma-square/

Head back to the Grande Bretagne and have a nightcap in the wonderful piano bar just off the lobby before heading off to sleep.

Next morning: enjoy the rooftop breakfast at the hotel (wonderful!) and its terrific views.

You'll probably want to head to the port around 2pm. The hotel will call a taxi for you. If you're feeling ambitious (and wake up early enough), you could squeeze something in between, say, 10:00 am and 2:00 pm. Museums are almost all closed on Mondays, but you could go back to the Acropolis vicinity and walk through the Greek agora (this would be my first choice), or do a little reading and see if anything else interests you.

As you'll be flying in to Athens on Sunday it would be a good idea to hire a driver for the transfer to your hotel drop off your luggage and have your driver take you to The Acropolis Museum because it's closed on Monday's.

Afterwards if you have the strength do a City Tour and end the day off nicely with a real Greek lunch/dinner in Plaka or Piraeus.

Then on Monday get your driver to complete the tour; Acropolis, Changing of the Guard etc and after lunch take you to your cruise ship.

Feel free to PM me for any other info ... have a great time on your vacation.

Wow, thanks! I emailed Nikos from Private Greece Tours and he suggested doing an afternoon tour to the Temple of Poseiden at Cape Sounion on Sunday, followed by a fuller Athens day tour on Monday (Acropolis, etc.). However, I see that the New Acropolis Museum is closed on Mondays as you mentioned, which would mean his Monday tour would take us to the National Archaelogical Museum instead. Is the New Acropolis Museum significantly better than the Nat'l Arch. one? If we had to choose one over the other, is that what you'd recommend?

Also, he mentioned that this does not include a licensed guide when touring any of the sites. So I guess the drivers just give you their spiel about what you're seeing/visiting prior to getting out of the car? If that's the case, I'm confused. It seems like the whole point of a driver or guide is to have someone more richly explain to you what you're staring at. Would we better off just hiring a licensed guide rather than a driver, if that's even possible? Sorry to ask so many questions, I'm just trying to get my bearings here.

Wow, thanks! I emailed Nikos from Private Greece Tours and he suggested doing an afternoon tour to the Temple of Poseiden at Cape Sounion on Sunday, followed by a fuller Athens day tour on Monday (Acropolis, etc.). However, I see that the New Acropolis Museum is closed on Mondays as you mentioned, which would mean his Monday tour would take us to the National Archaelogical Museum instead. Is the New Acropolis Museum significantly better than the Nat'l Arch. one? If we had to choose one over the other, is that what you'd recommend?

Also, he mentioned that this does not include a licensed guide when touring any of the sites. So I guess the drivers just give you their spiel about what you're seeing/visiting prior to getting out of the car? If that's the case, I'm confused. It seems like the whole point of a driver or guide is to have someone more richly explain to you what you're staring at. Would we better off just hiring a licensed guide rather than a driver, if that's even possible? Sorry to ask so many questions, I'm just trying to get my bearings here.

Well, first off, if you only have two half-days in Athens, I would emphatically not spend one of them going to Cape Sounion. There is lots to see in Athens itself, and you really don't need a driver to see it. (Not trying to ruffle any feathers, but IMHO a lot of drivers like to recommend Cape Sounion because you do need a driver to get there.)

The historic area around the Acropolis in Athens is mainly a pedestrian area; I really do not see any advantage to having a driver there. If you are concerned about using the Metro, just get the Grande Bretagne to call a taxi for you and communicate to the cab where to let you off to see the Acropolis and surrounding area.

Also, the National Archaeological Museum is closed on Monday mornings; it does not open until 1:30 pm, close to the time when you'd want to consider heading to the ship......

The Acropolis Museum is brand new and fascinating; however, it only covers the history of the Acropolis itself. You can read my full review from last year here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1290949&highlight=acropolis+museum+review

The National Archaeological Museum, on the other hand, is crammed full of wonderful art from throughout all of Greece and from all periods of ancient history. There is a lot to see there as well. I would be hard put to choose one over the other.

You are staying at the best place in town,both in terms of accommodations and location.

It is very easy to just get a taxi to the hotel when you arrive,the stand is just outside the doors.

The fare is fixed at 35 euro and includes all fees,tolls and luggage .Its 35 per cab not per person.

It really depends on your level of energy as far as Sunday goes.

The Sounio drive is nuts as far I am concerned .

I agree with cruisemom42,go upstairs and get a shower and a few hours rest.

Leave the hotel around 5:30 -6:00pm

Go to the Acropolis Museum, it closes at 8pm and you do not need more than an hour to see it.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/ekathi/survivalguide .

Spending some time there in the still hot part of the day( if in the summer),will not drain you further.

Athens and Plaka are better seen and enjoyed in the evening ,and night anyway..

From the museum entrance go downhill and turn left on Vyronos street and continue to Kydathynaion street,( past the Lysistrati monument, its the second right).

The first left is Adrianou street which is the tourist shop Mecca in Athens.

Turn there and go down this street all the way until it stops at the Roman Agora and the back of Hadrian's library.

Kydathynaion,and Adrianou are pedestrian streets and full of restaurants,cofee ,ice cream shops and of course souvenir central.

Keep in mind that most of the items sold on the islands can be had there(on Adrianou Str) for far less most of the time.

Big advantage is that going this way you are going down hill all the way,pretty much from the museum on.

The point where Adrianou stops and The Roman Agora etc starts is easy to figure out .

Right there is a small square on your right ,still on Adrianou str,and you will see there the sign for a restaurant called Ydria (Υδρια,ΥΔΡΙΑ),which is not bad.

As you are overlooking the Agora from Adrianou street if you look to your left you towards the Acropolis rock will see the round building that is "tower of the winds".

Stray towards that and explore the area a bit before returning to the end of Adrianou and keep going the same direction you came down adrianou zig zaging on Dexipou street one block down to Areos street .

Turn right(downhill) on Areos you will be a 50 yards from the Front of Hadrian's library .

If you continue straight past the entrance, one block down is the Monastiraki square,with an old church, restaurants,shops ,street performers and the like.

If you go to a restaurant there you can walk up Mitropoleos,or Ermou street afterwards, and they both will take you back to Syndagma square where your hotel is.

Both streets end at Syndagma.

Metropoleos has shops and the Cathedral.

Ermou is pedestrianized and the main retail street in Athens and has old church.

My suggestion at this point is to go check the square and then go back to the entrance of Hadrian's library and take a right on the street right across from it, which is the continuation of Adrianou street(some call it lower Adrianou).

This is restaurant row where you can have a nice dinner while overlooking the Greek Agora and the Acropolis.

Tzigikas and Mermigas is a nice restaurant,but it has zero views and personally ,even though I have eaten there many times and really like it ,I would not make that my only dinner in Athens.

I hope this is not confusing.

Believe me if you decide to go this route just print this and take it with you you will have no problem at all .None.

It also might sound like a lot of walkig .It is not.

From the doors of the Museum to the Roman Agora is half a mile.

From there to the Monastiraki square and back to restaurant row another 1/4 mile tops.

From there back to the hotel ( back up on Adrianou to monastiraki and up Mitropoleos) is 3/4 of a mile to the hotel door,or you can make your way 200 yards back to Monastiraki sq and take the blue line metro one stop back to your hotel (sydagma stop ,direction on blue line Airport/Doukissis Plakentias)

Get a map of central Athens and find the Acropolis and follow this on it.

Athens is seen by foot.No car can take you on the above route ,and believe me you will go down these streets one way or another.

Its an absolute and total waste of money.

Ok Monday.

Definitely do the GB breakfast at the roof top early if possible.

Take the red line metro back to the Acropolis station underneath the museum and walk up to the Acropolis.

If you finish up there around 10:30 take the red line back to syndagma and go see the change of the guard at 11 am in front of the Parliament right across from your hotel.

After that walk to the corner of Vasilissis Amalias and Vasilissis Sofias,(the corner diagonally across from your hotel) on the parliament side and go up V.Sofias (uphill next to the parliament) one long block up to Irodou Attikou and take a right.

The Presidential guard barracks are at the corner on your right as you turn on Attikou ,along with the national gardens.

Continue down hill past the Presidential residence all the way to the end of the street where on your left you will see the marble Olympic stadium where the first modern games took place.

Cross back from the stadium, and go left after you cross, and just follow the side walk up Vasilissis Olgas towards the temple of Olympian Zeus and Hadrian's Arch .

Tall columns on the left ,you can't miss it.

When you are done there, walk back on Amalias towards your hotel.

Hadrians Arch etc is at V.Amalias and V.Olgas

If you get a late breakfast I suggest you do the Guard thing first and the Acropolis right after that.

Alternative for Monday: the very nice Cycladic museum a few blocks up from the hotel on V.Sofias.

Cycladic is and the 6-7 short blocks up from there on the left side of V.Sofias .

Totally agree with the 2 posters above ... leave Cape Sounion till another time, it's quite a nice drive but not if you only have limited time.

Re: driver vs guide

It seems from your comments you will benefit from a knowledgeable licensed guide - a driver is usually pretty good but;

a. they cannot 'guide' you in sites & museums

b. will give lots of general info, be entertaining, and sometimes educating

Whereas a licensed guide will accompany you everywhere and can educate you to a usually high standard.

Search this forum and Google for suggestions, there is the Association of Guides: http://www.tourist-guides.gr/en.aspx

I know some excellent guides but won't "advertise" you could take pot-luck or arrange one through your hotel.

Lastly Acropolis or NAM? ... both are fascinating so my choice would be both :D

Have a great time in Athens you'll love it!

Thanks for all the advice, this is great info and I will print it out to take with me! I do think we have narrowed down that because of museum closing times on Mondays, we want to try to do at least one of the two on Sunday when we arrive. With leftover time, we'll take some of the suggestions above. Then on Monday, I think we're leaning towards hiring a guide to do the Acropolis & general city tour. We have such little time that I don't want to waste it, and having a knowledgeable person guide us that day seems helpful. Plus we'd like the more in depth explanation of what we're looking at. Just not sure whether to hire a guide with a car or just a guide on foot. Because we've never been to Athens, I have no idea how "condensed" spatially everything is...

Unless you have difficulty walking, you do not need a car. The historic area of Athens where the Acropolis and Agora are located is not large at all and it is mostly pedestrian anyway.

You can look for a good walking tour rather than hire a private guide. Athens Walking Tours are highly recommended. See info here:

http://www.athenswalkingtours.gr/

You could take their 9:00 Athens tour which lasts just over 3 hours and still have plenty of time to get back to your hotel, get your luggage, and take a taxi to Piraeus. The hotel may be willing to extend your checkout time to 1:00 or thereabouts.

Your hotel is just a short cab ride or one metro stop from the Acropolis. You could walk it if you wanted (but if time is of the essence, just take a cab -- not that expensive!)

cruisemom42 is correct again.

Athens walking tours will be the most informative tour you can take, and can be tailor made to your preferences on the spot.

Skip the car.

The area you will tour is tinny, especially for a fellow Texan.

The National museum is huge and if done properly it will eat up loads of time Sunday.

The Benaki and Cycladic are a good size and very unique, can be done in 3 hours each.

The Acropolis is much smaller ,an hour or so is plenty.

If you do one of the Benaki or Cycladic, make your way down to Monastiraki square by using Mitropoleos street ,mingle around and have dinner there or at the adjacent restaurant row on lower Adrianou and come back using Ermou street.

This will cover most one needs to see in this area.

In this case leave upper Adrianou for Monday after the EARLY morning tour with AWT.

Ask for a 2:30 -3:00 pm check out if you can.

At this time of the day your ride to the port will be 20 minutes max.

Unless you want to get on board as soon as you can,I suggest you maximize your time in Athens, Plaka area and the like for as long as you can.

How about even lunch at Tzitzikas Mirmigas just across the square from GB (5 min to the lobby)?

You can probably be out of there and back at the hotel by 1:30 pm at the latest.

You will have a good time regardless, I am certain.

Archived