Ginger to avoid sickness?

My adult daughter is very prone to motion sickness. We both use the scopalamine patches (Transderm) which always do the trick for us. Don't know if I need them but don't want to be caught without just in case. In spite of the adverse side effects that are listed with the patches, we've not noticed any.

I have seen many posts stating to take ginger to help alleviate motion sickness. I was wondering in what form? Are there ginger capsules at health stores or are posters speaking of actual ginger or ginger ale. I know that ginger ale helps with an upset stomach but I cant imagine there is enough ginger in soda to help with motion sickness.

I will be traveling with 2 children and was wondering what works best. I want to try to avoid medication if possible.

Thanks

When I was pregnant with my son I had morning sickness ALL DAY LONG. It was awful and my OB told me to drink ginger ale. It really helped with the nausau. We then tried it on board and it worked well. If you get ginger ale though, make sure it has ginger and not flavoring. Canada Dry and schweppes contain real ginger. You can also get ginger beer which tastes alot like root beer but is a little hard to find.

Candied ginger works well, and if you can find them anymore, altoids makes a ginger candy. Very spicey but good.

Archived