Ginger to avoid sickness?

I have seen many posts stating to take ginger to help alleviate motion sickness. I was wondering in what form? Are there ginger capsules at health stores or are posters speaking of actual ginger or ginger ale. I know that ginger ale helps with an upset stomach but I cant imagine there is enough ginger in soda to help with motion sickness.

I will be traveling with 2 children and was wondering what works best. I want to try to avoid medication if possible.

Thanks

The ginger doesn't cure motion sickness... it cures the worst symptom... the queasiness... You can take it in any form... candied ginger, ginger capsules, ginger snaps, etc...

I don't know how it would work as a preventative but I can tell you from my experience training Air Force pilots it worked for them!

:)

there is also ginger gum, but i don't know if the kids will like anything ginger as it is quite strong. I have found sour candies work qreat and kids usually love those. also I usually buy Preggie pops they are none medicinal sour candy can be bought at any maternity shop usually and don't need much they come in suckers and little candies.

I have seen many posts stating to take ginger to help alleviate motion sickness. I was wondering in what form? Are there ginger capsules at health stores or are posters speaking of actual ginger or ginger ale. I know that ginger ale helps with an upset stomach but I cant imagine there is enough ginger in soda to help with motion sickness.

I will be traveling with 2 children and was wondering what works best. I want to try to avoid medication if possible.

Thanks

Get the seabands….my friends kids use them all the time. It helps them alot. You can find them on amazon.

You didn't say how old the children are, but, the ginger capsules are huge. If they are very young they may have trouble taking them. I'm old and have trouble taking them,lol.

Yeah your right. They are 6 and 8. I am going equipped with Dramamine and Ginger Ale. I really wanted to avoid the dramamine if I could.

I live close to the Jersey shore and my family(including myself) are all big deep sea fishers. We never get sea sick but I am not sure how the kids will do. My brother insists that if I give them dramamine they will have to take it for the rest of their lives whenever they travel on a boat or ship.

Yeah your right. They are 6 and 8. I am going equipped with Dramamine and Ginger Ale. I really wanted to avoid the dramamine if I could.

I live close to the Jersey shore and my family(including myself) are all big deep sea fishers. We never get sea sick but I am not sure how the kids will do. My brother insists that if I give them dramamine they will have to take it for the rest of their lives whenever they travel on a boat or ship.

Ginger Snaps and Granny Smith apples (which you can usually find at the buffet) are faves of my DD who has been cruising since 3. Don't know about the dramamine being that addictive, but it will put them to sleep. I would only use that if they are already sick.

The ginger and sea bands, et. al. are to PREVENT the queasiness. Take them BEFORE you sail and each morning and night. If you wait until you (or the kids) are feeling bad, it's usually too late! That said, if they take after the rest of the family, you all should be fine! Happy sailing!

My 15 year old DD still can't swallow a pill. She is often fine, but uses sea bands when she feels a little off. I learned a number of cruises ago to always have a pair with me at dinner because that is when she seems to get hit. She puts them on and she is fine.

You didn't say how old the children are, but, the ginger capsules are huge. If they are very young they may have trouble taking them. I'm old and have trouble taking them,lol.
Maybe try a different brand. We have fairly small ones (Spring Valley brand). But you can always ask the pharmacist to separate them into smaller capsules for you, or just buy some small empty capsules and fill them yourself.

Then there are always the sea bands, but for them to work you need to position the button at the right spot on your wrist, which can vary from one person to another.

I love to cruise but get seasick. I use the wrist bands (work great on amusement park rides too); chew candied ginger (buy it in the spice section of grocery store) and I use the prescription meds (I cut the pill in half). The key is to stay ahead of seasickness. Once you start feeling sick, its very hard to get it back under control. For the kids I would stick with the wrist bands and the ginger. It really does work great.

Maybe try a different brand. We have fairly small ones (Spring Valley brand). But you can always ask the pharmacist to separate them into smaller capsules for you, or just buy some small empty capsules and fill them yourself.

Then there are always the sea bands, but for them to work you need to position the button at the right spot on your wrist, which can vary from one person to another.

I measured the spring valley ones I bought (capsules 550mg). they are 2 cm or 3/4 inch. I take a cinnamon pill that is that size. If trouble & water first does not help, I put a little food with it like apple sauce or broth. Seems to help it go down better.

These I am taking on our cruise this time, but 4 years ago I remember one of our group actually had small circle pills. They must still have them.

My instructions say for ADULTS - 1 capsule 2 to 4 times daily. I think the pills would be better. Might have to go to a health food store.

Can testify they work miracles!! AND they did. 2 people used them.

I have seen many posts stating to take ginger to help alleviate motion sickness. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks

Yes, yes, yes. I bring capsules, but I've been "on the sea" for about 300 days, some heavy seas, and have never been seasick. Vitamin B complex has worked for anything resembling an upset stomach.

Totally agree with the above poster, you can get smaller ones, if it says capsules on the bottle, you are able to open it up and put in (the ginger powder) in yogurt or juice. Make sure it says capsule.

Something that I swear by for queasy stomach is the good old fashioned red and white pepermints. They need to be the ones that have real peppermint oil in them. Peppermint is a natural cure for queasiness.:D

Thanks

My favorite way to enjoy ginger is in a ginger martini!!!

:D

I know that there will be a number of people who will claim otherwise but........

I would not use seabands on young children. There is no evidence that seabands do no more than give a placebo effect and young children do not react well to placebos. They aren't old enough to have the faith in something. Actual double blind studies show this to be true.

Ginger and peppermint have both passed double blind studies and are a good alternative for children.

Bonine (meclizine), Dramamine and the prescription Scopolamine (not for kids unless pediatrician prescribes it for severe cases) work as "preventatives" but do little good once true seasickness happens.

Many health food stores sell ginger candy and ginger tables that work well. There are also Peppermint oils that work but use them VERY sparingly. One drop.

The good thing is that most kids are far less susceptible to motion sickness. It's why they handle carnival rides better than adults.

Also: If the kids, or even adults, can handle car rides, carnival rides or merry go rounds they have little chance of becoming seasick on a large ship.

Take care and have a great cruise.

Mike

Of the many days I have spent on cruise ships, I have felt sea-sick on one day. The ship was rocking and it hit me hard and fast. I took a chewable Bonine (non-drowsy Dramamine) and felt 100% better in less than 10 minutes. It worked that fast. I think too many people worry unnecessarily about motion sickness, people who have never been on a cruise. Unless the seas are really rough, you can't even tell you're moving. I always bring some just in case, and they used to give it out free at the pursers desk. Not sure if that's still the case.

We actually prefer to take Bonine over the Drammimine.....that is b/c it makes us way less drowsy. You can get in adult variety and kids variety as well......can get generic at CVS and Walgreens.

Agreed. The Bonine comes in the non-drowsy formulas and works well. The key is to keep it in your system. Don't wait until motion sickness begins.

I use Bonine instead of Dramamine as well, purely because the dramamine puts me to sleep. In fact, what I have found works for me is to start taking Bonine 2 days before embarkation, taking 1 a day and ending on the day we leave. Also, at our local health food shop, we got ginger in lozenge form, much better IMO than swallowing those horse pills.

I buy individually wrapped ginger chews from my health food store. They are easy for kids to eat. There is no way my kids could swallow those huge pills. We only take the ginger chews if we start to feel sick - which isn't very often maybe once every two cruises. It works great for us.

I know that there will be a number of people who will claim otherwise but........

I would not use seabands on young children. There is no evidence that seabands do no more than give a placebo effect and young children do not react well to placebos. They aren't old enough to have the faith in something. Actual double blind studies show this to be true.

Ginger and peppermint have both passed double blind studies and are a good alternative for children.

Bonine (meclizine), Dramamine and the prescription Scopolamine (not for kids unless pediatrician prescribes it for severe cases) work as "preventatives" but do little good once true seasickness happens.

Many health food stores sell ginger candy and ginger tables that work well. There are also Peppermint oils that work but use them VERY sparingly. One drop.

The good thing is that most kids are far less susceptible to motion sickness. It's why they handle carnival rides better than adults.

Also: If the kids, or even adults, can handle car rides, carnival rides or merry go rounds they have little chance of becoming seasick on a large ship.

Take care and have a great cruise.

Mike

Well wordered and gives me some hope. I am also hoping there is a heredity thing here as well. My husband and I are both fine when it comes to sea travel as is the rest of my entire family. Thank you and happy cruising to you as well.

Archived