Capnpugwash is on the QM2 to New York, May 10 2011

capnpugwash

Hi Capn and all,

Got the first cut of my photos together from the westbound crossing for anyone interested.

https://picasaweb.google.com/106300797497387605663/TransatlanticCrossingOnQueenMary2May2011?feat=directlink

Rob

Hi rgaudet. Thanks for sharing the photos. Your photo from the comfy chair in the library looking out at the sea brought back the delightful memory of being there (one of my favourite spots on the ship). BTW, regarding the charming photos of the pooches: did you bring your dog on board, or were you just visiting some of the most delightful passengers?:) Cheers, Salacia

Hi rgaudet. Thanks for sharing the photos. Your photo from the comfy chair in the library looking out at the sea brought back the delightful memory of being there (one of my favourite spots on the ship). BTW, regarding the charming photos of the pooches: did you bring your dog on board, or were you just visiting some of the most delightful passengers?:) Cheers, Salacia

I'm glad everyone likes the photos. I had such a great time and miss the ship now. It was my first crossing and think I'm hooked. Back to living vicariously through Jim!

I did not bring a dog on but was missing my dog so was happy to spend some time with them!

Rob

Update No 27

We had such a lovely evening with John Duffy as our host for dinner. I did mention to him that rumours abounded about his imminent retirement and he responded that he was committed to remain with Cunard until at least April 2012. The guests at the table have gelled very well and afterwards 5 of us made our way to the Commodore Club and then proceeded to sample a few of the martinis that they specialize in making. It was such a nice group and of course the time flew by, the bar closed and we said our good nights to each other and made our weary way back to our respective cabins at 1.45am. Then, of course, we had to adjust our clocks forward so it became 2.45am. Thankfully tonight is the last time we need to make this adjustment as we will be back on UK time.

Today is Sunday May 22nd and the sea state has increased from slight to moderate which give 7 foot waves, our speed is 23 knots, the air temperature is 53/12 degrees and we have a force 6 wind blowing us along from the south west. The barometer is falling and we only have 917 nautical miles left until we arrive in Southampton on Tuesday morning. That is in just under 2 days time but I will try not to think about it as I head for breakfast and the spa.

The sea looks very powerful and broody; the waves are long and slow yet all topped with white horses as they roll into the ship. The sky is overcast and there is a grey haze which is not thick enough for the foghorn to be sounded but still totally obscures the horizon. We seem to be cocooned in a large grey cotton wool ball. The deck walkers are all wrapped up in their outdoor clothes against the chill of the force 6 wind.

I have just returned from the spa and I was quite shocked when I saw an elderly gent getting into the hydro pool absolutely stark naked, the lady in the pool was more shocked than I was though and called loudly to him as he removed his bathrobe, telling him that he required a swimming costume. He eventually realised his error and restored his modesty by refastening his robe. The pool and the facilities are both unisex so it was a real shock and quite put her off her breakfast!

More later.

Hi Capn and all,

Got the first cut of my photos together from the westbound crossing for anyone interested.

https://picasaweb.google.com/106300797497387605663/TransatlanticCrossingOnQueenMary2May2011?feat=directlink

Rob

Rob - great photos, brought back some lovely memories. I like the lurcher-type dog gazing out to sea :)

Jim - you have the most interesting voyages! I went back to read some of your previous threads and, with interest, read about the lady from Florida at the doctor's table. If you recall that was the voyage right after I got off last summer having dined with you, Richard and Jeanette the previous week. Again, looking forward to seeing you again on July 6. I will be at the Commodore Club at 2:30 on the first sea day. Katherine

I have just come off that cruise and the reception coming out from Hamburg the 2nd time was amazing!!

It was the 822nd year anniversary of the port and the Captain informed us that there were about 1.6 million lining the route down the Elbe.

At one point about an hour out there was a hotel that had all windows with someone waving sheets at the ship and "Royal Brittania" being played by loudspeaker and futher along another group playing "God save our Queen" I spent over 2 hours on the balcony just waving with a glass of champers - it really was a great expereience.

WE agree, We were there, a truly wonderful experience never to be forgotten. Bettcc and Reg

Update No 27

I have just returned from the spa and I was quite shocked when I saw an elderly gent getting into the hydro pool absolutely stark naked, the lady in the pool was more shocked than I was though and called loudly to him as he removed his bathrobe, telling him that he required a swimming costume. He eventually realised his error and restored his modesty by refastening his robe. The pool and the facilities are both unisex so it was a real shock and quite put her off her breakfast!

More later.

LOL! You have the funniest stories!

Jim - you have the most interesting voyages! I went back to read some of your previous threads and, with interest, read about the lady from Florida at the doctor's table. If you recall that was the voyage right after I got off last summer having dined with you, Richard and Jeanette the previous week. Again, looking forward to seeing you again on July 6. I will be at the Commodore Club at 2:30 on the first sea day. Katherine

Thanks Katherine, I seem to attract them somehow or maybe it is because I do it regularly, but at least it is something different to talk about. I was with Rich and Janette last month on the QV down to the Canaries and we had a great time.:)

How nice of you to share your apathy with me, I had a beer with pepperrn at lunchtime today... thanks for asking, I am sure that he will be so pleased.

I feel certain of it Jim, however meeting Roger Daltry , a wonderful moment, :) well done

Thanks Katherine, I seem to attract them somehow or maybe it is because I do it regularly, but at least it is something different to talk about. I was with Rich and Janette last month on the QV down to the Canaries and we had a great time.:)

I am still laughing right now, your right your are like me, we both attract em eh

:)

I wonder who was shocked most , the man, the lady or you

Jim, You do see the life on QM2, what a laugh I had when I read about the gent with no clothes in the spa.

It is a shame your journey will soon becoming to an end, have been enjoying it very much. Still we won't have long until your next one.

Catherine

Quote:

"I have just returned from the spa and I was quite shocked when I saw an elderly gent getting into the hydro pool absolutely stark naked, the lady in the pool was more shocked than I was though and called loudly to him as he removed his bathrobe, telling him that he required a swimming costume. He eventually realised his error and restored his modesty by refastening his robe. The pool and the facilities are both unisex so it was a real shock and quite put her off her breakfast!"

:eek: Wow, how embarrassing for the poor old fellow - to forget your specs is one thing but to forget your undergarment is way more humiliating. As they say "memory is the second thing to go" ;)

Update No 28

The wind has strengthened and we now have a near gale, it is quite difficult to walk on deck and it feels a lot colder than it actually measures. The ship is very stable at the moment and is only rolling very slightly. I have just been up on the stern terrace bar which is quite sheltered but the air temperature made it quite unpleasant to sit there so I only had one beer and headed back into the warm.

I was walking through King’s Court and there was a marvellous display of chocolate desserts, cakes, gateaux, buns, éclairs, you name it they had it. It really looked fantastic and I don’t know quite how I resisted the temptation, but I did. I was chatting to one the head waiters who said that the display was usually only done once per voyage and that every time he walks past it, he puts on a kilo in weight by just looking at it.

I went to the Purser’s desk to query some charges on my bill but the fellow to whom I spoke has to delve into the filed receipts for about 4 occasions where I may have been mis-charged. He only has to search through about 200,000 slips so I said that once he found them, if he could photocopy the items and send the copies to me, I could check them. If I agreed them that would be fine and if not I would go and see him again in the morning to discuss them.

I had just left the desk and I bumped into John Duffy, we had a little chat and he kindly asked if I would like to be on his table again when I am back on board in early June. Isn’t that great. He is such a nice person, so interesting and has a wealth of stories to share.

More later.

Update No 27

We had such a lovely evening with John Duffy as our host for dinner. I did mention to him that rumours abounded about his imminent retirement and he responded that he was committed to remain with Cunard until at least April 2012. The guests at the table have gelled very well and afterwards 5 of us made our way to the Commodore Club and then proceeded to sample a few of the martinis that they specialize in making. It was such a nice group and of course the time flew by, the bar closed and we said our good nights to each other and made our weary way back to our respective cabins at 1.45am. Then, of course, we had to adjust our clocks forward so it became 2.45am. Thankfully tonight is the last time we need to make this adjustment as we will be back on UK time.

Today is Sunday May 22nd and the sea state has increased from slight to moderate which give 7 foot waves, our speed is 23 knots, the air temperature is 53/12 degrees and we have a force 6 wind blowing us along from the south west. The barometer is falling and we only have 917 nautical miles left until we arrive in Southampton on Tuesday morning. That is in just under 2 days time but I will try not to think about it as I head for breakfast and the spa.

The sea looks very powerful and broody; the waves are long and slow yet all topped with white horses as they roll into the ship. The sky is overcast and there is a grey haze which is not thick enough for the foghorn to be sounded but still totally obscures the horizon. We seem to be cocooned in a large grey cotton wool ball. The deck walkers are all wrapped up in their outdoor clothes against the chill of the force 6 wind.

More later.

Cap'n, Several years ago I did see a man jump into the QE2's pool located at the stern wearing only his brief underwear which I think was kind of tacky :eek: Anyone who goes into the pool should wear a bathing suit not their birthday suit or underwear :eek: Regards,Jerry

Update No 28

The wind has strengthened and we now have a near gale, it is quite difficult to walk on deck and it feels a lot colder than it actually measures. The ship is very stable at the moment and is only rolling very slightly. I have just been up on the stern terrace bar which is quite sheltered but the air temperature made it quite unpleasant to sit there so I only had one beer and headed back into the warm.

From the Met Office site:

Sea area gale warnings, issued by the Met Office, on behalf of the Maritime and Coastguard Agency.

Last updated on Sunday 22 May 2011 at 1544 UTC.

Sole, issued on Sunday 22 May 2011 at 0953 UTC

Southwesterly gale force 8 expected soon

Lundy, issued on Sunday 22 May 2011 at 1541 UTC

Fastnet, issued on Sunday 22 May 2011 at 1541 UTC

Irish Sea, issued on Sunday 22 May 2011 at 1541 UTC

Southwesterly gale force 8 expected soon, increasing severe gale force 9 later

It looks as if you will have a very enjoyable climax to your trip Captain but what better ship to be on for such conditions? :D

Sea area gale warnings, issued by the Met Office, on behalf of the Maritime and Coastguard Agency.

It looks as if you will have a very enjoyable climax to your trip Captain but what better ship to be on for such conditions? :D

That should be fun tonight..

My friends are on QV and they are delayed leaving Southampton en route to Dublin due to the rough seas forecast.

Update No 28

I had just left the desk and I bumped into John Duffy, we had a little chat and he kindly asked if I would like to be on his table again when I am back on board in early June. Isn’t that great. He is such a nice person, so interesting and has a wealth of stories to share.

Despite some initial challenges in your earlier table companions, it would seem you have indeed been most fortunate to have had such a lovely experience at your hosted table(s).

You are, of course, so right about John Duffy being such a nice person and interesting. But it is also especially nice to know that he and others at Cunard recognize (as many of us here on CC have discovered) that you are also such an interesting person with a wealth of stories to share -- as well as great enthusiasm and insights for your experiences. I suspect you may also be a good listener.

It does not surprise me a bit that you would receive a future invitation from John Duffy. I am sure you have greatly added to his own enjoyment of this trip, as you will in the future.

Best regards --

Jane :)

Despite some initial challenges in your earlier table companions, it would seem you have indeed been most fortunate to have had such a lovely experience at your hosted table(s).

You are, of course, so right about John Duffy being such a nice person and interesting. But it is also especially nice to know that he and others at Cunard recognize (as many of us here on CC have discovered) that you are also such an interesting person with a wealth of stories to share -- as well as great enthusiasm and insights for your experiences. I suspect you may also be a good listener.

It does not surprise me a bit that you would receive a future invitation from John Duffy. I am sure you have greatly added to his own enjoyment of this trip, as you will in the future.

Best regards --

Jane :)

Jane, thanks so much :):)

Update No 27

I have to ask - was the gentleman aiming for "semi-formal" or "elegant casual"?

Blinker

Hey Cap, how goes the sea? Just took a peak at the webcam and it looks rather dodgy

out there. You heard about the volcano possibly affecting air space, yes? Regards, Salacia

S.. The sea is fine, if not dull. Yes heard whisper about volcano. WiFi has gone unworkable in cabin so had to go to Internet Centre this morning.

Update No 29

It is almost 6pm now and the ship continues to roll slightly but currently there is no pitching. The weather continues unchanged but the forecast is for the wind to strengthen this evening. The sea seems a little rougher than it was with somewhat larger rollers visible although there is only a smattering of white horses across the surface.

Tonight is the last formal evening and before dinner I will be attending the Senior Officers party in the Queen’s Room at 7.30.

It is impossible to ignore the fact that we have only 690 miles to go and that we will be in Southampton in less than 36 hours, the last couple of days have really raced by and now it is almost over. Tomorrow is packing day and tomorrow night will be such an anticlimax after last week. I can’t see the violin lady doing a set in the pub tomorrow evening; maybe she will surprise us all on board.

The cocktail party was surprisingly crowded and hot and I only stayed for 45 minutes and then went to get some fresh air and cool down a little. We had a lovely evening with the Food and Beverage Manager, he is an ex chef and has been around hotels and ships for a long time. He is German and now lives in Cape Town. We spoke briefly about the refit in November and he told us that the cabin furnishings, TVs, King’s Court and the winter Garden are all due to be altered or refurbished, as there are only 14 or so days to perform the scheduled changes it will be very interesting to see what get achieved.

Today is Monday May23rd and the weather and sea conditions are basically unchanged. Our speed is 20 knots and our position is about 300 miles south of Ireland.

Archived