Capnpugwash is on the QM2 to New York, May 10 2011

capnpugwash

That's interesting about the Stradivarius- I've copied what you wrote and sent it to my sister in law who is a violinist and would no doubt not agree with you ...... but I found it funny.

"The Red Mendelssohn", Antonio Stradivari

US$1,686,700

frontmendelssohn-strad.jpgThis violin by Antonio Stradivari,"The Mendelssohn" was sold at the Christie's in London in year 1990, for $1,686,700.

This Strad was crafted in 1720, and was the highest-priced violin then. Its name came from a family of Berlin bankers who were descendants of the famous composer Felix Mendelssohn. He owned the instrument from late 19th century to 1950's.

It is also because of the rich-red colour, and a red stripe on its top right, that the violin gets its name. It also makes this instrument attractive and desirable.

The famous violin was bought by an an American, a professional violinist, who does not wish to be identified.

"The Red Mendelssohn" has also inspired the movie, "The Red Violin", a 1999 Academy Award winning film.

The violin is currently played by violin virtuoso Elizabeth Pitcairn. She received it on her 16th birthday from her grandfather, who bought it at the auction.

Having never heard of Pitcairn, I have done a modicum of research. It appears that her career has been based on her violin.

Perhaps it would have been better had the violin been given to someone who would have achieved fame without it.

Violins such as this should be distributed on the basis of ability, not cash.

WD

Jim - is Jamie Firth in Britannia? I thought I read somewhere that he went to one of the Grill rooms. But that would be interesting because I thought last summer he told me that he had asked for a transfer out of a Grill room a while back because he didn't like being there. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time -- am anxiously looking forward to July 1 when I board. Love your posts -- thanks for taking the time to write. Katherine

Having never heard of Pitcairn, I have done a modicum of research. It appears that her career has been based on her violin.

Perhaps it would have been better had the violin been given to someone who would have achieved fame without it.

Violins such as this should be distributed on the basis of ability, not cash.

WD

:)Following the same logic - I am an excellent driver with a great deal of respect for fine autombiles. Please distribute to me a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow.

More importantly, please send me original works by Matisse because I have the ability to appreciate his works, but not the cash to purchase anything but the cheapest reproductions, despite years of study and painting.

Thank you.

A tongue in cheek Salacia

:)Following the same logic - I am an excellent driver with a great deal of respect for fine autombiles. Please distribute to me a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow.

More importantly, please send me original works by Matisse because I have the ability to appreciate his works, but not the cash to purchase anything but the cheapest reproductions, despite years of study and painting.

Thank you.

A tongue in cheek Salacia

Poor analogy.

A violin can only show it's quality with a fine player. Not the same with a painting. Great paintings should be in public galleries, which is exactly where violins should not be.

By the way, you're a woman and therefore you can't drive. How do I know? Mrs. Dean tells me. Constantly. She hates women drivers. Apparently she is the exception that proves the rule. :confused:

WD

Jim - is Jamie Firth in Britannia? I thought I read somewhere that he went to one of the Grill rooms. But that would be interesting because I thought last summer he told me that he had asked for a transfer out of a Grill room a while back because he didn't like being there. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time -- am anxiously looking forward to July 1 when I board. Love your posts -- thanks for taking the time to write. Katherine

Katherine, he is in PG and seems to be enjoying it, I think.:confused:

Capn.

Reviewing my pictures I think that I might have a picture of you on the Bridge when we landed at Pier 88 last Tuesday. Did you have on kaki pants and a dark, maybe black jacket? Everyone else, of course, had whites on so maybe that was you?? If you would like it I will send it to you.

Capn.

Reviewing my pictures I think that I might have a picture of you on the Bridge when we landed at Pier 88 last Tuesday. Did you have on kaki pants and a dark, maybe black jacket? Everyone else, of course, had whites on so maybe that was you?? If you would like it I will send it to you.

I see we're back to pants again. It just conjures up a wonderful picture of the Cap'n standing on the bridge wearing khaki Y fronts. Not a pretty sight! (sorry Jim)

Capn.

Thanks for the kind offer, that person was actually one of the two pilots.

Stewart - :rolleyes:

Update No 25

Tonight is semi formal dress code so at our hosted table this will mean that we will not have an officer present as they only attend on formal nights. The Chart Room bar was packed before dinner and if you want to get a seat I would advise that you get there no later than 7.30 or within 10 minutes of that time as it is very popular.

I was still a little full from lunch but I did manage a bowl of clam chowder and a small fillet of grouper which was quite tasty. I had a talk with a lady on the table who had worked for a few years as social director on QE2 and she was very interesting with some good stories.

The girl with the violin gave her show but the theatre was only two thirds full in spite of there only being one performance, I didn’t attend but the reports were very mixed.

Today is Saturday May 21st and again we are in the midst of almost calm glassy seas, being gently assisted by a very slight force 3 tailwind, our speed is 21 knots. The air temperature is 54/12 degrees and the barometer is falling. We only have 1449 miles left before we dock at Southampton, having travelled 1775. :(

More later.

Sorry, Capn and others, to have missed you at the get-together. It wasn't for lack of trying. Alison and I arrived at the Commodore Club the usual time and asked: "Cruisecritic?" and no-one responded. A staff member asked if she could help us and we explained to her why we were there. She said she never heard of an informal gathering of Cruisecritic members. How strange! It's the first time in three trips we have missed the get-together. Perhaps we will meet you at one of the Cunard World Club parties. I assume the last one (Platinum & Diamond) will be smaller.

Regards,

David

Cap'n,

Just caught up on your postings from your B2B. I'm really envious of you for having got to meet and hear Roger Daltrey. I've been a great fan for as long as I can remember, and in 1969 aged 14 took my first girlfriend to see the Who play with Chuck Berry at the Royal Albert Hall Pop Proms. We've got tickets to see him perform Tommy in London in July.

Over the years I've seen the Who play many times - of late with families of three or more generations around me, and it's always a great experience. However, I understand that because of Pete Townsend's hearing loss there won't be many more performances by the Who as a group.

My son's piano teacher, the late Ken Penney (one of the elderly jazz musicians playing in the Skinnerettes on the Frank Skinner TV Show) used to relate how he knew Pete Townsend's father Cliff, a sax player in the Squadronaires, and used to bounce Pete on his knee when he was a baby!

I'm doing an EB TA in August - are there special guests on all TAs?

Regards

Paul S

Alison and I arrived at the Commodore Club the usual time and asked: "Cruisecritic?" and no-one responded. A staff member asked if she could help us and we explained to her why we were there. She said she never heard of an informal gathering of Cruisecritic members.

The same thing happened to me. I mentioned Cruise Critic in the Commodore Club and got a blank look.

The same thing happened to me. I mentioned Cruise Critic in the Commodore Club and got a blank look.

We were sat on the port side by the piano.

I was talking about my Oct 2010 crossing. Sadly I am not on the QM2 at the moment :(

But I am bringing my very own 'Cruise Critic' sign next time. I think it will make it easier. I will also bring my laptop and log on to Cruise Critic and take the bar staff through an impromptu lesson on what Cruise Critic is. I do find it amusing that all these CC meetings take place in the Commodore Club (well most of them seem to) and the bar staff seemingly remain oblivious.

I was talking about my Oct 2010 crossing. Sadly I am not on the QM2 at the moment :(

But I am bringing my very own 'Cruise Critic' sign next time. I think it will make it easier. I will also bring my laptop and log on to Cruise Critic and take the bar staff through an impromptu lesson on what Cruise Critic is. I do find it amusing that all these CC meetings take place in the Commodore Club (well most of them seem to) and the bar staff seemingly remain oblivious.

I think that most of them are aware of CC but possibly not of the arranged meeting

Update No 26

It has developed into a glorious day at sea, the sun is shining brightly, there are few clouds in the sky and there is a very pleasant breeze blowing and the ship is rolling gently from side to side; it doesn’t get much better than this.

The day was very peaceful and tonight is the penultimate formal dinner; the table will again be hosted by John Duffy. Interestingly you may recall that the original hosted table to which I was assigned had been hijacked, bizarrely I understand that one guest on the current table was originally supposed to be dining elsewhere but she went to the Purser and made such a fuss and commotion about wanting to eat with Mr Duffy that in order to pacify her they apparently acceded to her demands. I sometimes think that I may be jinxed when it comes to table mates, or maybe I am being paranoid.

It is the CWC cocktail party tonight to which I don’t intend to go as they are always so crowded and hot, I will get a comfortable stool in the Chart Room instead. I don’t mind paying for a couple of cocktails myself although I will go to the party held by the Senior Officers tomorrow evening. It is a little more select and far less crowded.

More later.

Capnpugwash

Am I correct in thinking that tables are only hosted by Snr Officers atSecond seating. I do not believe I have ever seen a hosted table at first seating?

Oh dear, you must not say you are jinxed or you will be "tarred with the same brush "as myself.

Can you imagine the furore there would have been on this page if I had written the same remarks re the German ladies, or the "highjacking" , or the lady who insisted on being on your present table? I would have been "keelhauled"

In spite of those who say otherwise, bad things can and do happen on board to quite innocent passengers through no fault of their own. they are just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Capnpugwash

Am I correct in thinking that tables are only hosted by Snr Officers atSecond seating. I do not believe I have ever seen a hosted table at first seating?

On our first trip to Hamburg on the QM2 we were on first sitting and seated next to the Captain's table and saw that Captain Rynd was on it.

Capnpugwash

Oh dear, you must not say you are jinxed or you will be "tarred with the same brush "as myself.

Can you imagine the furore there would have been on this page if I had written the same remarks re the German ladies, or the "highjacking" , or the lady who insisted on being on your present table? I would have been "keelhauled"

In spite of those who say otherwise, bad things can and do happen on board to quite innocent passengers through no fault of their own. they are just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I have never eaten on first sitting but I am not aware that they are hosted other than on 2nd sitting, however Ray66 has a different experience so it may be subject to the exigences of the service.

Archived