Pearl for our Mums?

This not having anything booked is killing (except the weekender on the Radiance) sooo am thinking about a short getaway with my elderly Mum together with a friend and her even more elderly Mum.

As some of you may know I am usually a pretty dedicated Princess cruiser however I have been following the reviews on the two new P & O ships and since we have to cruise Sydney to Sydney I am considering the Pearl.

Advice please...we don't care about the night life other than the shows..will probably go for outside twins or minisuites so advice re decks and positioning of nice quiet cabins close to lifts would be appreciated. Also entertainment during the day..what apart from bingo is on offer.

Not bothered by the itinerary as our Mums probably wont get off and I have done the Sth Pacific and most Aussie ports more than once or twice. Dont need to sail during the school hols LOL. Combined ages of our Mums is approaching 200!:eek:

We are looking for a nice "float on a boat" good food, entertainment and a comfy cabin..will Pearl do it for our Mums?

Hi,

Yes, I'd say it would do it for your Mums! She's not the newest or flashest ship around but she is very comfortable and relaxing, the cabins are spacious and comfortable, and the staff are very friendly and helpful. She has a spacious feel on board too, she doesn't carry as many passengers as the other P&O ships and she's only slightly smaller than the Sun/Dawn Princess so she didn't ever feel crowded.

I would go for a cabin close to the front or rear lift/stairs - the middle lift/stairs only go up to deck 11 so if you want to get to the buffet use the rear lifts or The Dome (great place to sit and relax in the comfy chairs and read/fall asleep during the day ;) ) you need to use the front lifts.

We were on deck 10 mid ships which was quiet, and not too difficult to get to everything.

The shows were great too, but bear in mind it's better to be on the lower level of the Showlounge - views can be restricted on the upper level.

The only thing to consider with the itinerary is the longer the cruise, or if it goes around Australia/NZ, the older the mix of passengers is likely to be, and therefore possibly quieter as well.

We had a great time on our Pearl cruise and my partner's parents were with us, they had a great time as well.

Thanks for that it looks like I might not be a P & O maiden for much longer...the Pearl looks like it might fit the bill...those minisuites are huge compared to the Diamond Princess ones.

The only draw back I've heard about the mini-suites is that the ones under the Lido deck can be a bit noisy with chairs etc being dragged around or people moving/running around on the the open deck.

Just to reinforce what Riff Raff said, my parents had a wonderful time on Pearl to NZ last month. They don't go cruising for the night life etc, and they found plenty to do, and lots of quiet places to sit and relax. The Dome during the day was one of their favourite spots - if we were looking for them that was the first place we looked.

Archived